Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The Canadian indie-rock equivalent of the aul' knickers-at-Tom-Jones routine?

Nah, I was volunteering with Partners In Health - you may have seen our GIANT YELLOW T SHIRTS - and while we were working, we left all our stuff in some flight cases. Afterwards, I got my bag and coat, and we packed up and sent everything on it's way. I only noticed I was minus the hat when it was too late - ie. as I was walking home with the snow crapping down on me - and the PIH folks since got back to me to let me know they'd found it when they were setting up in Birmingham.

good cover story jill, i clearly saw regine reach down and pluck it from your little head halfway through month of may. I also thought i heard her say she'd give it back to you at the end of the concert, knowing full well you would be working and she'd be up a hat... sneaky

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Grab your skates and head to a housing estate where the roads haven't been gritted.

I got to go in the end! And fell. Hard. On my arse. It's still really sore!

Also I don't recommend Arnott's On Ice anyway, it's fake plastic ice!

Twee. wrote: »
    I got to go in the end! And fell. Hard. On my arse. It's still really sore!

Also I don't recommend Arnott's On Ice anyway, it's fake plastic ice!

Fake plastic ice?

Had it those pesky kids that zoom around the place shouwing you up and making you fall over? I hate them little punks.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Really enjoyed Caribou, the place was packed, I remember being at DOOM in the Button Factory which I thought was sold out but it mustn’t have been because the crowded look far more substantial last night, I was up in the Balcony where there was some room.

The songs sound great live, I actually prefer some to the album versions, when the band got into full-flow with the two drums kits going it was approaching hypnotic.

I’m not too familiar with “Andorra” but I’ll pick-it-up this weekend, based on last night it’s a sound I’d probably enjoy more than Swim (which I enjoy immensely)

They/he are going to be f**king huge if they keep heading in the same direction, aren’t they? I remember thinking - when “Sun” veered off into a bombastic rave-up – how well they would headline a festival like primavera or EP (if they haven’t already).

God he/they was/were so good!! It was really intense. The time just flew. He seemed genuinely shocked at how up for it the crowd was.

I'm even more in love with 'Sun' now. That version must have lasted about ten minutes. What a way to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Godspeed was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. One of the most incredible sonic experiences ever. I cannot stress how amazing it was last night.

Kold wrote: »
    Godspeed was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. One of the most incredible sonic experiences ever. I cannot stress how amazing it was last night.

High praise indeed. Glad it lived up to expectations.

To get all serious. FG policy on selling assets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

LCD Soundsystem, Beach House, Interpol, The National, Vampire Weekend & Arcade Fire all seen in the last fortnight - will gig going get any better outside of a festival?

Didn't happen to be talking to you on the Luas after the second Interpol gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Sweet wrote: »
    Didn't happen to be talking to you on the Luas after the second Interpol gig?

Nope, I was at the Monday gig, 1st night.

Bad Santa begins on tv3 right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

YUSS watching now.

Twee. wrote: »
    YUSS watching now.

Your name's Thurman Merman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Any recommendations for twitter-stalking, just jumped on the bandwagon, preferably the funny and the surreal, also any accounts with updates about decent music.

I'm following Rio Ferdinand and Future of the Left atm.... and aside from a few mates that's about it.

Any recommendations for twitter-stalking, just jumped on the bandwagon, preferably the funny and the surreal, also any accounts with updates about decent music.

I'm following Rio Ferdinand and Future of the Left atm.... and aside from a few mates that's about it.

search the pitchfork site for twitter and they have the top 50 artists to follow.

irish wise, the usuals- nialler9, phantom, jim carrol, and any band you like will prob be on it.

rio's tweets are a good laugh. @DTGuardian is the best reporter out there for soccer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Finally finished my Slide Away Cover. My God, that took a painfully long time.

lordgoat wrote: »
    search the pitchfork site for twitter and they have the top 50 artists to follow.

irish wise, the usuals- nialler9, phantom, jim carrol, and any band you like will prob be on it.

rio's tweets are a good laugh. @DTGuardian is the best reporter out there for soccer imo.

cheers man, I noticed Rio mentioning "silks" after the game on Monday night and then tweeting "did you here me say silks on sky?" a few hours later, made me chuckle.

I've added DTGuardian, State, Jim Carroll, Tiny Mix Tapes and a few others, I noticed the recommendations that followed were pretty accurate.

I've added M.I.A too but I feel like an awful voyeur now as I've amassed this awful celebrity-crush on her since the gig in Tripod last month.

As long as you don't add amanda 'i will tweet you to death by endless tweets' palmer you should be say. @glinner is pretty good too

http://www.nialler9.com/2010/12/15/listen-liveline-rubberbandits-willie-odea/

This is just bizarre.

Willie O Dea, saying "swearing on my tash it's daycent hash"

This is awesome... Good to see the busy bodies are still going strong on liveline.

Edit - tip of the cap to nialler9 for putting it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I must download the podcast later.

One of the funniest Livelines I've heard in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

'I'm an artist, but I love money'

'I don't think Willie O'Dea endorsed 60 cent'

• Advertisement

Ya it's def worth downloading and saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

You guys know, in years to come, we're gonna look back on this and remember it the way other generations remember the Moon Landing.

This. Is. Epic.

EDIT:

This might actually be Willie O'Dea's proudest moment. It's marvellous.

You guys know, in years to come, we're gonna look back on this and remember it the way other generations remember the Moon Landing.

This. Is. Epic.

EDIT:

This might actually be Willie O'Dea's proudest moment. It's marvellous.

I have to say at least he ****ing got the joke.

I also loved blindboy taking the piss out of the radio edit and explaining the horse looked like billie piper after a big bag of hilarious jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Blindboy's explanation of subtext was great too, it was as if he was talking to a child, and rightly so, the other guy completely missed the point of the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Seriously, fair play to Willie, he held his ground - and rightly - throughout. I've come away with a lot more respect for him than I had before, particularly given the Rubberbandits previous um... tribute to him.

The first few seconds as Joe tried to figure out what to make of Blindboy were fabulous.

willie o'dea the voice of reason against inane moral backlash :confused:

surreal is not the word, made for good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Willie seems to just be using it for a bit of publicity, but yea, at least he got the joke etc.

I love when one of the members of the band comes on and explains about art and subtext. He controls the other members of the conversation very well as well.

"We all know Willie is a legend, he's only provin' it now like"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just listened to that liveline... dear God, some of the best radio I've heard.

Fair play to Willie and Blindboy. I'd say Willie's probably raging that this hasn't happened closer to the election - might get him a few more votes!

Willie for Taoiseach!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Canadian indie-rock equivalent of the aul' knickers-at-Tom-Jones routine?

Nah, I was volunteering with Partners In Health - you may have seen our GIANT YELLOW T SHIRTS - and while we were working, we left all our stuff in some flight cases. Afterwards, I got my bag and coat, and we packed up and sent everything on it's way. I only noticed I was minus the hat when it was too late - ie. as I was walking home with the snow crapping down on me - and the PIH folks since got back to me to let me know they'd found it when they were setting up in Birmingham.

I still have their tambourine if you want to use it as leverage.

Advertisement