Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Tevion LCD TV on Thursday - Saorview capable?

• 06-12-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all. Looking to buy this TV in Aldi on Thursday – anyone know if this has a MPEG-4 DTT tuner? Specs on the site give no details of tuning capabilities. From the pic it appears to be a Tevion brand, but no model number given.

Product_detail_Wk49T50.jpg

19'' LCD TV and DVD Combi
    each €159.99 *
    * Resolution: 1366 x 768
    * Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
    * Teletext
    * Sleep timer and automatic shutdown
    * 200 channel memory
    * Audio output 2 x 2W
    * Multi-language OSD
    * Low power standby: (<1W)

Connections:
    * 1 x HDMI/HDCP socket
    * 1 x USB socket
    * 2 x SCART sockets
    * 1 x AV composite video input
    * 1 x YPbPr component video
    * 1 x CI socket
    * 1 x RF socket
    * 1 x PC Input - VGA and audio
    * 1 x headphone jack

Dimensions:
    * With stand - 351 x 466 x 180mm
    * Without stand - 309 x 466 x 73mm
    * Vesa Wall Mount - 100 x 100mm (Mount not included)

Accessories:
    * Remote control with batteries

USB Record Functionality:
    * Pause, rewind, record live TV
    * Recommended use with USB device of 2GB minimum**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't bother with it. It will be MPEg2 only. Useless.

It's not even proper HD or very useful as PC screen
    Resolution: 1366 x 768

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Well what can you do.

More rubbish. I bet it doesnt even have an analogue tuner. And then its worse than useless.

If it does then its tuner will have less than 2 years life left.

Buy one return it in 2 years.

Lets see if they have the cop on to label it with a warning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

Thanks guys. I’d be surprised if it didn’t have an analogue tuner, Aldi could expect a LOT of returns if that was the case. Not too bothered about the resolution, it would not be used as a PC monitor or gaming and TV is more than watchable on a 19inch at 1366x768 px so that’s fine. You get what you pay for at the end of the day – if this had a digital mpeg-4 tuner it would seal the deal for me, but looks like I’ll have to wait until Thursday to confirm.
    STB wrote: »
    Buy one return it in 2 years.

Not a bad idea… if it’s labelled as Digital TV then according to saortv.info the TV could be purchased and used for a couple of years before bringing it back to Aldi for a full refund… ;)
    If you bought it labelled as a Digital TV in Ireland inside the last two years (since October 2008) then the retailer may be obliged to replace it or refund it. Aldi have refunded on TV set sold over a year ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

steamboat wrote: »
    Not a bad idea… if it’s labelled as Digital TV then according to saortv.info the TV could be purchased and used for a couple of years before bringing it back to Aldi for a full refund… ;)

The box will be labelled "Digital TV" and you will need to keep the box to get the refund in ( less than) 2 years. They are being more circumspect about their advertising nowadays.

Christ knows how much more rubbish Aldi will foist on us before they cop on :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 southboy

Little help please !

Bought a Tevion in Aldi with DTV (Model 44904). Not much knowledge on the Irish freeview or technical side. Can get the Irish EPG with sound on all Radio & TV but no picture ?

Judging by previous posts is that a definite no then ?

• Advertisement

Bring it back. Honestly these people will never learn until people complain.

Its tuner will never work for Ireland. Its not suitable for sale here.

Their purchasing manager knows the spec. They should take a leaf out of LIDLs book and stock the right products. Its not as if they are stocking TVs all the time.

They know and have refunded

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/cinocat4/no-dtt-get-money-back

Chancing their arm that folk will use it for UPC/Sky or not realise when Analogue stops that they could be entitled to refund.

Aldi have never sold a suitable TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

i bought a Samsung TV in Tesco last year mentioned here would this be subject to the same money back offer because of non DTT compliance as standard ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yep, Tesco sourced a non compliant Samsung even though certain 2009 models work just fine with Saorview. 'Head Office' will have to authorise the refund but they normally do it within a few days.

Tesco almost always refund if you stand your ground. The refund period they speak of is just for automatic checkout refund. For the legally mandated up to to 2 years they ring HQ, who almost always give it.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Tesco almost always refund if you stand your ground. The refund period they speak of is just for automatic checkout refund. For the legally mandated up to to 2 years they ring HQ, who almost always give it.

only thing is im not even sure if i have box anymore never mind the receipt :( will have to dig deeper

you don't need box.

ANY proof of purchase.

davehey79 wrote: »
    only thing is im not even sure if i have box anymore never mind the receipt :( will have to dig deeper

Right I badge found my receipt for the Samsung 20" I bought in Tesco circa June 2009 and am gonna bring it back now my quandary I'd what approach do I take and what law sex. to I need to quote / explain to the manager or whoever deals with me. I have the telly remote and receipt but no box. Any help appreciated guys as nor sure how to go about it.

Irish Sales of Goods. Entitled to "repare, refund or replacement" (Tesco's choice) for up to two years if the TV is "not fit for purpose".

Irish Sales of Goods. Entitled to "repare, refund or replacement" (Tesco's choice) for up to two years if the TV is "not fit for purpose".

Thanks watty gonna go in Tuesday after the obligatory post Xmas buy for all by all the mammys and will report back how I get on

went in today and enquired about this and the lad said bring it in towmoorow for a full refund :)

Got refunded for the Samsung tv I posted about now to find myself a nice set in around the 300 to 350 mark thats fully Saorview compliant :)

Got refunded for the Samsung tv I posted about now to find myself a nice set in around the 300 to 350 mark thats fully Saorview compliant :)

What size ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Powercity have a Saorview Certified 32" Walker for 299 Euro, you'll also get a 32" Samsung in Powercity within that price range that's fully compliant too. Check out the bargain section here too. There are some nice TV's that will work with Saorview are popping up in the likes of Argos and Tesco lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Apologies for reviving this thread but it deals with a query that I have. :)

My sister bought a 19" LCD TV/DVD Combi from XtraVision in Dec 2009. TV was marketed as having Digital/Analogue tuners,HDMI,HD etc ...DVB clearly printed on the box. She was never informed that ,as it's an Mpeg-2 set it will not receive Saorview.
    She has it in a bedroom and doesn't have a SKY/UPC connection.
    Is she entitled to a refund/replacement?

I was in contact with the initial point of sale ,who referred me to XtraVision HQ. After being fobbed off by one of their Customer Service reps I managed to talk to his manager. He informed me that as the TV is now 13 months old he is not willing to replace/refund. While he agreed that the TV has a non compatible digital tuner, he states that it was not a selling point of the unit and can be easily rectified by connecting to a suitable set-top box.:rolleyes:

He also informed me that it is not yet company policy to inform the customers about the difference in digital formats for TV's that are sold throughout their stores!

• Advertisement

You have some chance of winning in the Small Claims Court.

The onus was on them to blank out "digital" and attach a disclaimer label from March 2008 onward when they were told that Freeview Digital would most be not compatible unless the set had MPEG4 and HD also.

http://www.saortv.info/2011/01/05/aso-in-less-than-two-years/
    http://www.wattystuff.net/2011/01/money-back-if-it-isnt-a-tv/

Try printing those and giving them to manager to read.
    General point of the 13 months irrelevant see
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2010/0517/1224270540798.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/print.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Thanks,Watty ;)

Looks like she'll be going through the Small Claims Court then as XtraVision HQ have insisted on not providing a refund/replacement.

Nforce wrote: »
    I was in contact with the initial point of sale ,who referred me to XtraVision HQ. After being fobbed off by one of their Customer Service reps I managed to talk to his manager. He informed me that as the TV is now 13 months old he is not willing to replace/refund. While he agreed that the TV has a non compatible digital tuner, he states that it was not a selling point of the unit and can be easily rectified by connecting to a suitable set-top box.:rolleyes:

He also informed me that it is not yet company policy to inform the customers about the difference in digital formats for TV's that are sold throughout their stores!

A Combo television/DVD player has 2 functions - 1 is television, the other is DVD playing (which Xtravision sell).

DTT has been on since August 2008 in testing mode (with little interuption). Yes he has a point that a lot of time has passed before you have brought it back.

He will be on a hiding to nothing though if he keeps up the attitude that is bolded. Perhaps he can provide you with a set top box then free of charge. If I had bought one for DTT purposes I would have brought it back immediately having discovered that it didnt work.

More OEM No name Cheap ass china muck.

2009 to November 2010 is a grey area as the transmissions only publicised and officially for public since October 2009.

Once serious publicity starts people will not be able to say they didn't scan the Digital and discover it doesn't work because they didn't know it was running (yet). There is only a couple of weeks left really for people that bought Digital Label TVs that don't work and didn't go back to shop in less than a few days... maybe up a to a month in some shops to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Diary Day

I thought it was the purchasers choice?

What is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

steamboat wrote: »
    Hi all. Looking to buy this TV in Aldi on Thursday – anyone know if this has a MPEG-4 DTT tuner? Specs on the site give no details of tuning capabilities. From the pic it appears to be a Tevion brand, but no model number given.

I bought this tv last October, and the coax audio out isn't working. I plugged in headphones, speakers and amplifier, and it didn't seem to work. I rang customer service and they are sending a courier to collect the TV this coming Monday. Problem is I don't have the original packaging anymore, and they won't collect TV without it being in some sort of box. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a box for it?? I'm in Galway, and I tried Cunniffe's and the electrical shop in the westside with no luck!? :(

Aldi/LIDL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

I bought this tv last October, and the coax audio out isn't working. I plugged in headphones, speakers and amplifier, and it didn't seem to work. I rang customer service and they are sending a courier to collect the TV this coming Monday. Problem is I don't have the original packaging anymore, and they won't collect TV without it being in some sort of box. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a box for it?? I'm in Galway, and I tried Cunniffe's and the electrical shop in the westside with no luck!? :(

The coax audio out is a digital feed for connecting to a digital decoder. You won't get anything from headphones, speaker, or an (analogue) amplifier.

Perhaps you don't need to return it. So much for customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

I want to connect an onkyo TX 8222 amplifier to the TV, what type of setup/cables do I need. I'm relatively new at this. I used the earphones on my last tV and it worked - the Tevion TV is a different setup - any help would be appreciated!

Got it sorted! :)

Advertisement