Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

November Boards Foldathon

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Can't believe I'm upset about coming second! :eek: But I was hoping for fifth, if I'm second it means we're missing several top Folders! :(

At least it means I can knock off the testbed and fit its DVD (now the adaptor is here) and put my old PC back together again! :D Alas the scratch build is now getting more and more behind schedule, I thought I'd be measuring the mobo for standoffs by now :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Blimey, I'm doing shockingly poor lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

My first foldathon wasn't too bad for me.

I did try to add an AthlonX2 4400 but it got a 6701 and it is going to take 4 days to complete, so will be finished sometime tomorrow.

Otherwise not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Plenty of room for improvement for December then. I should be back with all clients then. :)

So... when should we hold the December one then? The week of the 13th?

• Advertisement

Sounds good :) Might throw the HD4830 on for a laugh :D

On a related note: Any clue when the new SMP and GPU clients come out? I'd love to have the HD6850 running for the next Foldathon but there's still no client that supports HD6000 GPUs :( And whatever happened to that P67**-enhanced SMP client update? :o

Not long now; from what I hear, it's close to a release. It won't include the revised client for ATi though... that'll probably come out around Feb (Q1 2011 is what's being thrown about).

And the 6000 series can Fold... though I'm not sure what combination. Try:
    GPU2 & GPU3
    -forcegpu ati_r700 & -forcegpu ati_r800

One of those should work.

As for the client update, seems not to have come... people were raving about an improvement, but that's gone now...

Is folding on a HD5/6000 really as bad as I've heard? Opinion is that with the forcing the current clients to run on my card I'd be lucky to get 3k PPD for the card and I'd lose 1-2k PPD due to huge CPU usage issues :eek: Is it anywhere near this bad for a HD4000??!?

Pretty much... I'd only really Fold on an ATi GPU if it's in a rig with a single core CPU...

That bad?! :eek: Will the new client help resolve the issue and/or increase PPD without increasing pain on the CPU when it finally comes out?

• Advertisement

That's what we're expecting; more PPD, and less CPU usage, bringing them in line with nVidia GPUs.

Advertisement