Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Not being able to go to a gig due to Volcano is pretty awesome though.

Belle & Sebastian toooonnniiiiiigggghhhhttttttt. Been listening to them loads this week, forgot how good their stuff is. And I actually like the new album which is rare for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Belle and Seb were so good the other night. Best show of the week so far.

Dreading the aftermath of AF crowdsurge ticket problems over in G/E. Calm before the storm...

lordgoat wrote: »
    Belle and Seb were so good the other night. Best show of the week so far.

Dreading the aftermath of AF crowdsurge ticket problems over in G/E. Calm before the storm...
    I didn't think they were that good. First 3 or 4 songs were excellent, started off really well, then energy levels seem to drop or something. Can't really put my finger on it. I'm really just comparing it to when I've seen them before, was still an excellent gig.

Me and my mate are heading down to AF a bit early to make sure we get the tickets sorted. Such hassle. The O2 will get more of my beer money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Jim wrote: »
    I didn't think they were that good. First 3 or 4 songs were excellent, started off really well, then energy levels seem to drop or something. Can't really put my finger on it. I'm really just comparing it to when I've seen them before, was still an excellent gig.

I enjoyed the show. But if ever there was a band that needed to stop taking it easy. Everything was played with the wrists. Even when the acoustic kit came in for the second verse of the first song, I wanted to scream "Use your ****ing elbows!" at the drummer.

• Advertisement

Also for anyone interested the next series of other voices sounds like it's going to be **** hot. And it's not even fully filmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Anyone heading to Caribou on Thursday? I'm listening to the new album now, it's pretty epic, even the vocals which I hated initially are cool with me now. Really looking forward to it. First time I've seen him/them.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Is Caribou sold out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

smokedeels wrote: »
    Anyone heading to Caribou on Thursday? I'm listening to the new album now, it's pretty epic, even the vocals which I hated initially are cool with me now. Really looking forward to it. First time I've seen him/them.

I'm heading to it. This'll be my fifth time seeing them live I think (I'm saying 'them' as he plays with a full band live).
    KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Is Caribou sold out?

Afraid so.

I'm heading to it. This'll be my fifth time seeing them live I think (I'm saying 'them' as he plays with a full band live).

Really interested to hear Caribou as a live band, does the sound differ much from the studio stuff?

I'm not always sure how much of Caibou's recorded work is organic and how much is played electronically (I find this "problem" with acts like Four Tet and The Books too)

• Advertisement

Really interested to hear Caribou as a live band, does the sound differ much from the studio stuff?

I'm not always sure how much of Caibou's recorded work is organic and how much is played electronically (I find this "problem" with acts like Four Tet and The Books too)

The live drumming (with two kits normally) really picks up even the mellower tracks I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I'm going. I only caught half of his set at Electric Picnic but it was enough to make it one of my favorite performances of the festival. I hope the crowd aren't completely static. I want to groove!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Excellent set at Electric Picnic! I was pretty ill for the whole EP weekend due to new medication, but I was SO glad I made it out to see them.

It's just started snowing again in Palmerstown. Dammit! And buses stopping at 9. SIGH. I'm supposed to be going ice skating at 8 tomorrow night :(

Twee. wrote: »
    Excellent set at Electric Picnic! I was pretty ill for the whole EP weekend due to new medication, but I was SO glad I made it out to see them.

It's just started snowing again in Palmerstown. Dammit! And buses stopping at 9. SIGH. I'm supposed to be going ice skating at 8 tomorrow night :(

Twee i looked out my window and it actually started snowing. I'm blaming you.

Twee. wrote: »

Grab your skates and head to a housing estate where the roads haven't been gritted.

I was heading over to my girlfriends via town when I found out the buses were stopping at 9, is it really that bad tonight, to cut the buses early.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

BBC Sound of 2011 list came out today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/soundof/2011/artists/

Oblivious to them all apart from James Blake, Warpaint, Daley, The Naked & Famous and Anna Calvi.

*starts downloading*

Its quite accurate. Look at how many of the artists on last years list did quite well.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8395789.stm

Sing us a song you're the piano man:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

LCD Soundsystem, Beach House, Interpol, The National, Vampire Weekend & Arcade Fire all seen in the last fortnight - will gig going get any better outside of a festival?

Anyone heading to Caribou tomorrow night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Due to a series of unfortunate events, it seems my favourite hat is currently touring the United Kingdom with Arcade Fire.

Due to a series of unfortunate events, it seems my favourite hat is currently touring the United Kingdom with Arcade Fire.

Another reason to go see them in the UK!

Canadians! Hat thieving pr*cks the lot of them.

Well, Canadafolk do tend to appreciate the value of a bit of well insulated head furniture better than most, yes.

And yes, I've decided to catch up with it. Last night, the hat attended the LG Arena, Birmingham. Tonight, the hat was at the Cardiff International Arena. My hat's rock tour adventure will be concluding at Manchester Central, where we'll have a touching reunion.

It's always bad when your clothing is having more fun than you. But I guess this is the exception!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

East Hastings is a good song. I've been to East Hastings. It's not a pretty place. Junkies line the streets with the odd one offering you 'company' others offering you rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

And yes, I've decided to catch up with it. Last night, the hat attended the LG Arena, Birmingham. Tonight, the hat was at the Cardiff International Arena. My hat's rock tour adventure will be concluding at Manchester Central, where we'll have a touching reunion.

How did they get your hat? The "D'uh" answer is obviously gonna be "I threw it up onstage".

Really enjoyed Caribou, the place was packed, I remember being at DOOM in the Button Factory which I thought was sold out but it mustn’t have been because the crowded look far more substantial last night, I was up in the Balcony where there was some room.

The songs sound great live, I actually prefer some to the album versions, when the band got into full-flow with the two drums kits going it was approaching hypnotic.

I’m not too familiar with “Andorra” but I’ll pick-it-up this weekend, based on last night it’s a sound I’d probably enjoy more than Swim (which I enjoy immensely)

They/he are going to be f**king huge if they keep heading in the same direction, aren’t they? I remember thinking - when “Sun” veered off into a bombastic rave-up – how well they would headline a festival like primavera or EP (if they haven’t already).

Well, Canadafolk do tend to appreciate the value of a bit of well insulated head furniture better than most, yes.

I'd love to see a collage of photographs from your hat's adventures.

Similar to the traveling gnome prank.

• Advertisement

How did they get your hat? The "D'uh" answer is obviously gonna be "I threw it up onstage".

The Canadian indie-rock equivalent of the aul' knickers-at-Tom-Jones routine?

Nah, I was volunteering with Partners In Health - you may have seen our GIANT YELLOW T SHIRTS - and while we were working, we left all our stuff in some flight cases. Afterwards, I got my bag and coat, and we packed up and sent everything on it's way. I only noticed I was minus the hat when it was too late - ie. as I was walking home with the snow crapping down on me - and the PIH folks since got back to me to let me know they'd found it when they were setting up in Birmingham.

Advertisement