Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History Research Topic

• 01-12-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Well I'm one of the idiots who left this really late.
    But my teacher was partly to blame, they havent been the most helpful.

But anyway, for the history special topic I originally had the idea of studying the battle of the Gods and Titans in Greek mythology, and my teacher said thats fine even though I had a feeling it wasnt fine.

After two weeks of researching she told me, "You cant do that" So i cancelled that.

Then I start working on a couple of ideas but nothing really stuck.
    So I was wondering, would I be able to do a research topic on Roswell and how it has sparked of the whole conspiracy theory about UFO's and such under the category; "An in-depth study of a historical event"?

And does anybody have an example of how you construct the outline plan and evaluation of sources?

Sorry for being a bother but this is 20% of my history grade and its the only subject I'm proper worried about :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Try to stear away from anything to do with conspiracy theories.
    Its best to do your topic on a specific angle of an event and how that was significant to its history as a whole.
    I think your original idea is good. Do you have any friends studying at NUI in Maynooth? Maybe they could get you some sources, the college have an excellent library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

My teacher said I cant do it for some reason :(
    Which is a shame because I am really intrested in Greek mythology.

How about Albert Einstein and his contribution in making the Atomic Bomb?
    That sureley affected society and changed history as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Realistically, you can do anything under the sun as long as it is relavant to history. (obvious not beyond 92).
    If you are really and truly determined to do greek myth then do.... but although you can do anything, it doen't seem like a super topic. However I do like how your stepping outside the box. Theres nothing an examiner hater more than getting another 'Michael Collins' or 'Auschwitz' question they've seen a million times before.
    Why not find a small cool topic within a quite well known section. When I did mine, I talked about a model camp in Czechoslovakia during the Holocaust. I got practically full marks (took 2 away for like nothing)
    Is there any other areas of interest you have?

About the outline plan and all that.... do project first. Besides, your teacher should have all the info you need to get full marks in those areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Left it really late? It's December! You've loads of time to talk to your teacher about this. Also check out www.hist.ie

orlabobs wrote: »
    Realistically, you can do anything under the sun as long as it is relavant to history. (obvious not beyond 92).
    If you are really and truly determined to do greek myth then do.... but although you can do anything, it doen't seem like a super topic. However I do like how your stepping outside the box. Theres nothing an examiner hater more than getting another 'Michael Collins' or 'Auschwitz' question they've seen a million times before.
    Why not find a small cool topic within a quite well known section. When I did mine, I talked about a model camp in Czechoslovakia during the Holocaust. I got practically full marks (took 2 away for like nothing)
    Is there any other areas of interest you have?

About the outline plan and all that.... do project first. Besides, your teacher should have all the info you need to get full marks in those areas.

Thanks :) I really gotta get this done, I've been just studying Maths alot so other subjects are suffering :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Thanks :) I really gotta get this done, I've been just studying Maths alot so other subjects are suffering :P

Just remember its only 1500 words, but you cant waffle in it. Just wrote down the key points and treat it like an essay that you would be submitting for your homework. Don't obsess about it as its not worth it. Pick an interesting topic and it should work out fine.
    I did mine on the Cuban missile crisis from Khrushchev's point of view. I got 99% in teh project with a weeks work put into it before the deadline. Once you know what you have to do you'll get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Try to focus on something local if possible. Examiners are a lot more interested on reading something from a different perspective and they will reward you for that, they prefer that type of stuff to something general from the treaty or ww2. I did mine on a fenian leader and it worked out well thankfully. I hope it works out well for you.

mulner92 wrote: »
    Try to focus on something local if possible. Examiners are a lot more interested on reading something from a different perspective and they will reward you for that, they prefer that type of stuff to something general from the treaty or ww2. I did mine on a fenian leader and it worked out well thankfully. I hope it works out well for you.

Thank you. Alsok, In my geography project, It says MAXIMUM 50 WORDS at the bottom of each section. But my teacher told me you can write more. Is that true or will they penalise you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Thank you. Alsok, In my geography project, It says MAXIMUM 50 WORDS at the bottom of each section. But my teacher told me you can write more. Is that true or will they penalise you?
    There's no limit really, just make sure it fits on the page/in the booklet. Don't go crazy over mind, 2000ish and you'd be grand. AFAIK no one has ever been penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

Ive all the project done since last year and all the outline and sources done this year, everything has been checked and corrected and now its finished just to be wrote up in the proper book!!

i think only leaving it till sixth year is a bad mistake, you have so much work to do, from finishing the course till December, revising for mocks, orals and then going over everything for the actual leaving cert! not much time to research a specific topic in detail.

We were told that the topic must be on Irish or European history from the 1800's up, mostly after 1900 actually, and that you wouldn't get marks for ancient history because that is not on the syllabus for history leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 djcianers

Can someone help with the title bit. How narrow deos it have to be?
    im doing it on the cuban missile crisis
    Can i do it on the bay of pigs ?
    A guy above has done it on khruschevs view , Do you have to do it from a particular view ?

heres a helpful link btw its a podacst on the actual project its really helpfull :rolleyes: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_gettingitright.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

The research topic should be started in 5th year. You mightn't think 1500 words is much but you have so many things to think of, sources,reliability,bias etc. I had my outline plan done by the end of fifth year and had it completed around christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

Is it 1500 or 1200? I thought it was 1200. Anyway, 1200-1500 is nothing when you get to college :D If your interested in wars and all that lark may I recomment Vietnam, and specifically the Tet Offensive. Easy to get resources, fairly black and white when you come to talk about it, different viewpoints you can take, interesting. Just a thought.

As for the Greek Mythology..stay well away from that. One its outside the historical context and two, its probabley far too much work for something like the RSR :D

Advertisement