Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traps and Tricks and Such

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

300mg Caffeine

Lots of leg swing and hip stretch type warm up. Some joint just near to the right of my tailbone felt sketchy (kind of sore/weak/strained maybe) before going to gym but maybe I just wasn't out of bed quite long enough.

Squats:
    Warm up sets
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5

Definitely taking more than a day off before next session because of this. Lower back took a beating and was already sort of feeling that before I even went to gym. Happy to get 140kg all below parallel though. Just realised I took a 5kg jump increase last time by mistake, haha.

Bench:
    Nice fella I know to talk to in my gym gave me some form tips before my bench sets. Now going with a slightly closer grip (pinky on the bar's ring) and touching a little bit lower than nipple on my body with the bar.
    I think this helps and I can lift more like this. Too bad I couldn't find out for sure today though because like an idiot I accidentally loaded 10kg less than I was supposed to on the bar and did:

70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

I actually thought the new form was making it all so easy until I realised my mistake and duly put 80kg on and did as much as I still could:

80kg x 4
    80kg x 3 (may have just been 2 actually, not sure)

So, big fail on bench today I'd say. Lame.

Pendlay row:
    Proper form, full ROM this time! :\
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Dips:
    Arms were ruined. I think I managed 2.

Skipped ab stuff due to having to be somewhere.

Did about 4 minutes heavy bag work.

Does my erectors complaining severely every squat session mean it might be time to belt up? Legs feel okay. I'm only squatting 1.4 x BW for 5x5 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dude, you are crushing the squat progression.
    Good job.

I wear a belt for all my heavy squat sets and my back always gives me grief.

Warm ups

Squats
    4 x warm up sets

140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5

Ugh, I fυcking (think I) lost count of what set I was on sometime after the 3rd. I'm almost positive I did do the full 5 though. Last couple of reps had to really be ground out, like.
    Lower back (and right knee, slightly) felt sketchy all day before and in the gym before squats so I didn't jump up to 142.5kg yet. Lame, I know. Next time.

OH Press
    2 x warm up sets

57.5kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5

At last. Leaning back (the small amount my burned out lower back would allow) and just belting out the reps without delay seems to do the trick. Any time in the past I've paused for breath at all at the top of a rep has been my undoing, I reckon.

Deadlift

160kg x 5

Wow, this felt so hard. Managed a successful double overhand for the first rep and used mixed for the rest. Dunno if I was just spent from squats but this just felt so heavy on the lower back and hips. Thought I was on firmer ground than this with my DL. Ah well.

Chinups x a few.

Gym about to close. Skipped ab stuff.

Seated calf extensions.

Have to make sure to get in the gym earlier in future.

About to go to the gym, haven't been since Monday but have somehow maintained an unpleasant, chronic back pump since then.

~300mg Caffeine

Lots of leg swing and hip stretch type warm up.

Squats:
    Warm up sets

142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 6
    142.5kg x 6

Bench:

80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5*
    80kg x 5

*Had a lad spotting me for this set and he was sort of... over zealous I guess - just coming up from the last rep he said something and I got distracted and paused the bar above my chest for a sec. I'd started to finish the rep and felt grand to get it back up but he pulled it up for me...
    He realised it though and immediately gave me a lift off to do another 2 reps, I have a feeling he was assisting me a little on them though :S
    He assured me I'd done my 5 reps, and I know I could have, so, that's what I'll call it...

Pendlay row:
    Finally got a nice upper back fatigue going with these. Think I've got the form down.
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

Dips:

I know I still suck at these. I weight 100kg and probably +20% BF. After a nice hard cut 'round the end of year I hope to improve.

Ab stuff
    Jackknife situps x 24
    Prone bridge x 1:15
    Situps x 30

Did some standing and donkey calf raises, not as much as I woulda liked - gym closed again. Still not in early enough. Quite happy with the workout though. Lower back pump actually felt totally gone by the time I finished benching. Stoked to get the 80kg 5x5 too.

• Advertisement

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago I've brought my bench grip in ever so slightly (1 pinky width) and touch my chest a bit lower down (little below the nipple). Would this account in a big way for me being able to lift heavier? I'd like to think I just got plain ol' stronger but better form is nice too, I guess...

Warm ups, Stretches

Squats
    4 x warm up sets

145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5

I've probably been leaning forward a little much on squats lately and my knees, particularly right knee were letting me know about it. Legs had the feeling like I could snap 'em like twigs at the knee for a fair while after squats. Also don't know if I was getting as far below parallel as I'd like. Think another little hop back in weight will let me catch up and keep progressing safely.

OH Press
    2 x warm up sets

60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Leaning back a little and just throwing the bar up urgently still doing the trick.

Deadlift

162.5kg x 5 + 1

Felt much easier than last time.

Chinups x 4, 3, 1
    Couple of negatives. Feeling stronger on these, definitely able for a little more full ROM reps now.

Ab stuff
    Jackknife situps x 28
    Prone bridge x 1:30
    Situps x 36
    Prone bridge x 1:15
    Reverse Crunches x 24

Seated calf extensions x loads
    Donkey calf raises with 24kg dumbell.

I've (over)done something weird with my calves, left one especially. A weird bump has appeard on the outer side of my left shin. Where's not really supposed to be as much muscle, like. Bit freaked out about that. Can you get a hernia or something on a shin? :S

So I'm about 3 days into a "no"-carb diet. Last I checked I weight right around 100kg. Maybe 99kg. I'm hoping to get ketosis going and properly ditch some fat and try clinging to every gram of muscle. I heard people with high bodyfat % don't necessarily need (as much of) a carb-up so I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna have a big cheat day after a week. Any thoughts appreciated though. I'll see how my strength goes.

Here's a little summary on what sort of intake I'm getting:

Wednesday
    1500kcals total (I think I forgot to put something small in the calculator though)
    20.8g Carbohydrate
    78.5g Fat
    160.6g Protein

(I'm not sure if these are already included in the carb and fat totals above: )
    6.1g Sugar
    32.9g Saturated fat

Thursday
    2139kcals
    14.2g Carbohydrate
    126.6g Fat
    231.1g Protein

(Again, think these might already be counted in carb/fat totals: )
    4.5g Sugar
    66.5g Saturated fat

Friday
    1727.4kcals
    10.9g Carbohydrate
    93.9g Fat
    209.8g Protein

(Possibly included above: )
    3.4g Sugar
    52.4g Saturated fat

...and all I'm probably gonna ingest for the rest of tonight is some Coke Zero.

Tonight's workout below. Didn't quite get in the gym early enough again so would've liked to get some more dips and ab stuff at least in. Don't seem to have lost a tonne of strength yet and I feel like a lot of it is having taken the last 4 days off anyway.

~200mg caffeine

Warmups

Squat
    Warm ups x 4

142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 6

First set or two was a little shaky form-wise (still made sure to go below always) because having an enchanted, magically rotating barbell on my back was pretty distracting, trying to keep some semblance of a grip on it, I mean.

Last rep or two were bit of a grind, nothing too brutal although my right knee feels sketchy on the inner (left) side of it yet again. It clicks loads as I turn on it, too. Left knee's fine.

No back pump today, yuss.

Bench
    3 x Warm ups

80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    75kg x 7

80kg was more than I could chew today, for whatever reasons. It'd been a week since I benched, maybe that'd account for it. Either that or it's the diet.

Pendlay Rows

52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

Dips
    BW x 8

Didn't get to do any more sets 'cause of gym closing but surprisingly these felt as easy/hard as usual. Maybe a slight drop in bodyweight already.

Yesterday (Saturday)
    2047kcals total
    125.4g Fat
    4.4g Carbs
    220g Protein
    (incl. 1.1g Sugar, 64g Sat. fat)

Today (Sunday)
    1917kcals total
    5.8g Carbs
    115g Fat
    204g Protein
    (incl. 1.2g sugar, 57.8g Sat. fat)

Today's workout:

~250mg caffeine

Squats
    Warm-up x 4

140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5

Conscious of maybe not having so much energy due to the diet and since would be deadlifting today, just stuck at a safe 140kg for the 5x5 today. Form felt better than ever actually. Right knee felt relatively okay. Used a less wide, less obtuse stance than usual, I think. (Relatively) easy sets.

OH Press
    Warm ups x 2

60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 4 (I think)
    50kg (ugh...) x 5

Serious press failure today (if it ever says I did less than 5 reps - it's because I failed, like). It's a week since I last pressed and yeah, putting it down to diet too. Form felt hard to get right. Couldn't get any lean on without feeling seriously unstable.
    It seems in the grand scheme of getting stronger etc, strength comes to presses last and leaves my presses first.

Deadlift
    100kg x 3 warm up

160kg x 5 + 1

Got plenty of chalk on and a double overhand grip worked good for 2 reps and okay for 1 rep. Then on to mixed.

Chinups
    and then some negatives. Guess I haven't stopped weighing too much yet...

Ab stuff
    jackknife situps
    prone bridge
    situps
    prone bridge
    reverse crunches

Calf extensions
    Standing donkey calf raises

The weird bump on outside of my left shin may gotten slightly more pronounced after doing this calf stuff...

In light the slight loss of strength so far I'll have to look at the results of this diet by the end of the week maybe and consider whether to carb up or continue diet, etc.

Can't be bothered posting all the exact intakes from the last few days but it'd suffice to say I've followed the same pattern of
    ~2000kcals
    <10g carbs
    >100g fats (anyone think this is too much? I could probably really cut back on cheese here. Having over 200g cheese every day)
    >200g protein

...without cheating in the slightest. I don't really know if my body is in an actual state of ketosis and using ketones instead of glycogen or whatever but sure I'm still alive over 7 days later and feel okay so it probably must be on ketones.

I've definitely leaned out a bit, certainly noticeably from my own point of view anyway. I think today my eyes got used to it a bit though because it feels like I can't see improvement tonight.
    I think I'll stop focusing on that for a while anyway. I plan to keep going until maybe 4th December. I'll probably need to sort out a carb-up at some point if I want to keep doing anything remotely worthwhile with a barbell in the meantime though. Not progressing in weight lifted is boring as hell. Ugh.

Oh, and other downside - nature called. Told me I haven't been getting nearly enough fibre :\

Today's workout:

300mg caffeine

Warm ups

Squats

4 x warm up sets

142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 6

A couple of these were serious battles. Fell deep in the hole for a rep at some point early in the 4th set I think but hauled ass back up pretty sharp. Guess I wasn't tight enough.
    Had to have the bar slightly higher than usual 'cause that blasted powercage (as opposed to squat rack) doesn't have quite the right hook heights for me. Grip on the 2nd set was a mess from the beginning.

Bench
    3 x warm up sets

75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 6

So I'm now 5kg back from my PB for 5x5 on bench. Not encouraging. Only consolation maybe is it didn't feel all that hard. Perhaps could've managed a 77.5kg.

I think I did something stupid to my right shoulder joint with one of my made-up shoulder warm ups. Serious nigglage ongoing here.

Oh, I've noticed I feel a fair bit more flexibe at most stuff right now. Maybe leaning out slightly just lets your bits bend and flex against other bits with less resistance...

Pendlay Row

52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

Felt easy today. I didn't have a mirror to properly check form though... Headrushes / faint feelings after sets particularly strong this time :S

Dips
    Feel about as easy/hard as always. Going to failure on dips felt much more sudden and pronounced than ever before. Like when the muscles were done they were done and no argument or pushing through.

Ab stuff, same as usual.

Calf extensions, same as usual. Started trying donkey raises while holding a 20kg kettlebell, probably look like a serious chode to some onlookers, haha.

• Advertisement

Decided to go and nom ALL the carbs tonight, haha.

I tried to keep it low fat and high GI but as I was deciding what to order and buy in the shop, I may have made some hasty, hungry decisions.

Hope I wasn't a bit premature doing this after just 10 days of no carbs but maybe it'd be fine since I was seriously having next to none, like, 5g - 10g at most on most days.

Hoping my recovery will be immediately be kicked into 6th gear so I can be all good to go gym tomorrow.

I do a lot of hoping... might start calling it positive thinking or something more useful sounding. :\

Yeah, I'm done with this diet. Got leaner alright but for now there's no way I'm risking seeing my press regress to the days of sub 50kg for flat 5x5. Press was pathetic last night.
    The ~2 weeks on no-carbs and calorie defecit lost me about 5-7.5kg each on Squat, Bench and OH Press and about 2.5kg on other stuff. Not huge but the idea that I'd continue to get weaker was too much to put up with. No more cutting for a couple of months.

Not bothered posting full detail like usual 'cause on my phone here but last night I had:

Squats 142.5kg for 5x5
    Total battle and grinders, also fell deep in hole again. Haha definitely felt close to fainting but pulled the last rep out somehow.

Press 57.5 for 2x5, then 50kg for 3x4 or something. Such a fail.

Deadlift 162.5kg x 5 + 1
    No probs.

Chinups
    Then some negs.
    Felt stronger than ever before at these for some reason. I must've lost weight.

Ab stuff

Calf stuff

Treadmill incline interval stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Good to know you saw the negatives on a calorie deficit, I better sort out my diet so if I want to stop failing on the Press and Bench!

Edit: Actually do you mind me asking what your usual diet would consist of to get those gains?

I wasn't too careful about counting my diet when getting bigger but I'd say I was usually aiming for 3,500kcals and 300g or more of protein every day. Couldn't tell you how much of anything else. Also about 5g+ of creatine every day.

Yeah I hope to get back on track now with my bench and press. Thing about them is that having a lighter body won't make then much easier, whereas you'd feel a difference with squats I suppose.

Still just making up the last of the ground I lost on the diet:

300mg caffeine

Warm ups

Squats
    4 x warm ups

142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5

Still difficult but not so brutal as last time. I got the depth every time, at least but bar speed was noticeably slow on lots of later reps. I got the 5x5 though so greediness will win out and I'll most likely end up increasing the weight for next session.
    Longish rests between sets today, too. Right kneecap still feels weird after a set or two and prone to clicking then when I walk. Elbows felt awful too.

I'm going to start doing a bit of bicep and tricep assistance at home on rest days, actually. I'm thinking just some pushups and curls with a pair of light dumbbells my GF has. They're blue coloured so it could be worse like.

Bench
    Warm up sets x 3

77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5

Needed some crazy long rests 'tween sets to ensure I got the 5x5 without failing. I did it in the end. Elbows felt shattered. See above: my decision to add elbow assistance crap on rest days.

Pendlays
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

I've promised myself to start upping the weight on these already. 55kg next time, no excuses.

Dips
    Total weaksauce. I'd spent everything getting my bench 5x5 earlier and the ongoing elbow and shoulder joint sketchiness really affected me. I need to re-up on my glucosamine and fishy oils etc for joint care, I realised. Been a while since I ran out.

Ab stuff
    26 x Jackknife situps
    1:30 prone bridge
    36 x situps
    1:15 x prone bridge
    26 x reverse crunches (starting to realise these are great. You can get a proper pump/burn/fatigue going which I find pretty hard to achieve with regular situps etc).

Calf extension stuff. Personally I think (low) bodyfat is pretty pivotal in the appearance of having well built calves but it feels like I've barely made mine grow. I suppose doing them at the end of every session isn't going to have too profound an effect maybe.

300mg Caffeine

Warm ups

Squat
    Warm up x 4

145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5

Feels hard to get my stance feeling right these days. Back pump has been minimal lately though and my right knee wasn't even too bad today.

OH Press
    Warm up x 2 sets

55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 6

Yuss. Feels like I got my technique back at last anyway. Now to claw my way back to 60kg and beyond.

Deadlift
    60kg x 4 warm up

167.5kg x 5 + 1

Ended up stopping after first 3 reps and then doing the last 3 a minute later. Not a long rest, but, I had to go get chalk. Some o' these reps were pretty ugly but I got them all up in the bitter end.

Chinups

Ab stuff

Calf extension & raise stuff

Pec fly stuff

~300mg caffeine

Warm ups

SQUAT
    Warm up set x 4

147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5 (was probably 6 actually)
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5

BENCH
    3 x warm up sets

80kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 4
    0kg x 0

1 x ****ed off home

What went horribly wrong today was my elbows, forearms and grip. I got to a stage where the weird ache in my forearms and wrists was agonising after trying to grip anything for a few seconds, let alone clench a loaded bar. The squats did something diabolical to my elbows (something that was already very much there, mind) and by the time it was time to bench I just couldn't grasp the bar steady really. Serious achage in my elbows / bottom of biceps. I don't know if the problem is something with my squat form or just maybe my biceps trailing behind in strength bs everything else. Or maybe it's the cold or something. No idea. I better figure it out before next time, though.

Maybe its time to slow your squat down.
    Even 2.5kg a week is still awesome progress.

Give your elbows a chance to rest a bit.

Suggestion
    The Advanced Novice Program

Week A
    Day 1
    Squat 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Chin-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps
    Day 2
    Front Squat 3x5 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Day 3
    Squat 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted
    Week B
    Day 1
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted
    Day 2
    Front Squat 3x5 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
    Bench press 3x5
    Power clean 5x3
    Day 3
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Pull-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

^Thanks again for that. I will have a look at Practical Programming this week and try to get myself on something like that, more advanced than my novice progression.

Today: ~300mg caffeine

Walk through snow for ages to the gym

Warm ups

Squat
    Warm ups x 3 sets

100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8

So I went with a lower weight, more reps and a higher bar position today. Worked well, got mad below parallel on everything. There's no reason I shouldn't go as low on all heavier sets, really. I'm definitely going below parallel as it is but might consider a little drop back in weight to get low as possible like today.

Elbows felt more or less okay. Them and my shoulder are still just on the mend anyway.

OH Press
    Warm up sets x 2

57.5kg x 5
    55g x 5
    55g x 5
    55g x 5
    55g x 5

So I could feel after the 1st set there was no way 5x5 on 57.5kg was happening today. Settled for 55kg. Again. Ugh. Next time though.

Deadlift
    Warm up set w/ 100kg

170kg x 3
    170kg x 2

Had no chalk :\

Chin ups

Ab stuff

Calf extension stuff

~300mg caffeine

Warm ups

Squat
    4 x warm up sets

150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5

Not totally happy with the depth on some of the reps. Definitely just parallel at best, I'd love to kid myself, but yeah. I'm changing up the squat program after today anyway. 150kg was a nice milestone to get to before doing that.

Oh, I kept the bar higher than usual. Elbows weren't too bad. Managed to escape crippling back pump somehow too, though.

Bench
    3 warm up sets

77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5

Longish rests. Maybe 80kg, was possible, dunno. Next time for sure.

Pendlay Row
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Dips

Calf extension stuff

Treadmill inclined intervals on balls of feet ~10 mins ~160 kcals

• Advertisement

After going 6 days without training due to going to a BJJ class in a sub-zero gym without adequate clothing and getting some kind of illness for the last 3 days as a result. Still sick (slight temperature/cough/cold buzz) but had to go back today regardless.

~300mg caffeine

Warm ups

Squat
    4 warm up sets
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5

May have done 6 on the last two sets, dunno. I barely made it up out of the very last rep, the plates had slid out a few inches on one side of the bar and I ended swaying way over on one side as I was coming up. Saved it and racked it okay though.

This was a drop back down in weight and maybe didn't feel as easy as it should have. I haven't really been eating enough in the last few days of feeling sick.
    However form felt great and I got nicely well below parallel on everything so I'll (probably have to) just keep that up and build back up from 142.5kg.

OH Press
    I found out afterward one of my 1.25 kg plates was in fact a 2.5kg... Lifted an unevenly loaded bar but still happy I lifted more than I initially though!

58.75kg x 5
    58.75kg x 5
    58.75kg x 5
    58.75kg x 5
    58.75kg x 5

Elbows feel grand now. I've sorted out the bar position problems on squats. Thanks for the advice again on that.

Deadlift
    I knew this is where feeling sick would be most a factor. Bit more faint feeling than usual right after the set :pac:
    Had to drop back weight a little on this and all though.

165kg x 5

Chin ups

Probably the least ****e I've ever performed so far at these. Must have lost weight... :S

Ab stuff

Calf extension stuff

Very tired, will be brief.

Squat 145kg 5 x 5
    Bench 80kg 5 x 5
    Pendlays 57.5kg 5 x 5
    Dips 3, 2, 1, 1
    Ab stuff
    Calf ext stuff
    Treadmill incline interval stuff

No caffeine today. Need a re-up.

Warm up

Squat
    4 warm up sets

145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5

I know, I know. Still haven't upped it from 145. But today I finally got the mad depth I've been yearning for. It was tough and it was a bit messy though. Progressing now and keeping **** deep will not be easy.

OH Press
    2 x warm up

60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Lower back felt awfully loaded. Got the reps bashed out though. Yuss.

Deadlift
    60kg x 3 warm up
    167.5kg x 5

These were very hard. Had no chalk. Lower back / hips felt crushed and stiff before I even started.

Chinups

Ab stuff

Home.

Lot of annoying fools in the gym tonight. Some lad had a whole area to do his skipping in but just had to prance around his rope right between me doing squats and the mirror. John Wayne (Gacy Jnr) character felt he needed to ask for my rack instead of the free one right next to it. Then used it for silliness. Miniature hard lads shadow boxing and teeping the bags all over the place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Sounds like Raw :D

Squat
    4 warm up sets

145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    145kg x 5

I know, I know. Still haven't upped it from 145. But today I finally got the mad depth I've been yearning for. It was tough and it was a bit messy though. Progressing now and keeping **** deep will not be easy.

Kick ass.

Warm up

Squat
    3 x warm up sets

100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8

Almost positive I did go for the extra (6th) set at the end. The fυck's wrong with my memory? :\

Bench

82.5kg x 4 - was NOT happening at this weight today. Settled for 80kg again. Ugh.
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Pendlay
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Dips

Ab stuff

Calf Ext. Stuff

Treadmill incline intervals 8:00

Ridiculous lower back pump by end of the treadmill.

Ok session otherwise. Should be good for 82.5kg 5x5 on Bench real soon. Right shoulder still felt seriously sketchy at the wrong angles today. Elbows grand though.

Warm ups

Squat
    4 x warm up sets

147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5

OH Press
    2 warm up sets

62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5

Deadlift
    170kg x 5

Last rep or two was very sketchy.

Chinups

Wine gums, creatine and brownies.

Warm up
    The other day this guy recommended I do "broomstick swings" which I started then and my shoulders felt noticeably better for it for the rest of the session today.

Squat
    4 x warm up sets

150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5

Wow, these felt... not quite easy, but like I still had more in the tank. Finally some progress again.
    Really needed to piss throughout the sets actually. Maybe it bolstered my intra-abdominal pressure or something. Mental.

Relief

Bench
    3 x warm up

82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5

I can't lie, on at least 2 of the reps I actually noticed I had a slight bounce going on coming back up from my chest. I corrected / compensated for this by really pausing properly for the few reps after. Felt a million times harder. Disgusted I may have been cheating a bit but happy because I do feel like I have the 82.5kg in me anyway.

Pendlay row
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

These still feel so awkward. Particularly for my hips and lower back.

Dips

Ab stuff

Calf ext. stuff

COH talked to me on the way out and correctly guessed who I was on here in one, apparently just by seeing my sets today, haha fair play. Now I have to not be a prick 'cause a real person knows who I am :pac:

Yesterday

Warm up

Squat
    3 x warm up sets

Mixed it up with a light day.
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8

OH Press
    2 warm up

62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 6

Haha I seriously almost fell over or something at a couple of points under the bar. I think having destroyed my calves the previous day was messing with my balance a little.

Deadlift
    172.5kg x 2, x 1, x 1, x 1

Chin ups
    Sucked more than usual at these today for some reason.

• Advertisement

1 Week of no training. Would've gotten back in on Wednesday or yesterday but I forgot the place was open only 'til 5pm.
    Managed to get a session in on lunchbreak from work today though. I only got time for Squats and Bench though.

Ugh, slight regression after the week off. I barely moved a muscle during the ~6 days.

Warm up

Squat
    4 x warm up sets

147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5

Felt difficult and form felt a bit all over the place but I did at least definitely get pretty good depth on nearly everything.

Bench
    3 x warm up

80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 6

Technique felt a bit loose but no real problems. Made damn sure not to bounce the bar at all this time.

Advertisement