Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police Studies

Options
  • 30-11-2010 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hello I am currently in year 2 of a fetac level 6 police studies course. This course involves Customer Care, Health and safety, First Aid, Security systems, Forensics, criminal psychology, communications, computers and other modules. I Was wondering has anyone done this course before current AGS members or otherwise?

I am hoping to join the AGS as soon as the next recruitment drive. I have applied for the reserve to get expierence but I am currently waiting for my medical. I was hoping to be in the AGS college by now but since the 2010 recruitment has not happend im going to apply to CIT for a computer course while I wait. I think ill get as many skills as I can before the next intake.

What courses do ye feel would be relevent to AGS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Hello I am currently in year 2 of a fetac level 6 police studies course. I Was wondering has anyone done this course before current AGS members or otherwise? I am hoping to join the AGS as soon as the next recruitment drive. I have applied for the reserve to get expierence but I am currently waiting for my medical. I was hoping to be in the AGS college by now but since the 2010 recruitment has not happend im going to apply to CIT for a computer course while I wait. I think ill get as many skills as I can before the next intake.

Where you doing the policing studies? That course will do. they are talking about introducing having a cert for swimming, ECDL, first aid and full driving licence. These are just recommendations at the moment though.
    Also there is a panel with about 300 or on it waiting since 2008 so you prob wont see Templemore for a long time, unless with the reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

itsallgood wrote: »
    Where you doing the policing studies? That course will do. they are talking about introducing having a cert for swimming, ECDL, first aid and full driving licence. These are just recommendations at the moment though.
    Also there is a panel with about 300 or on it waiting since 2008 so you prob wont see Templemore for a long time, unless with the reserves.
    Cork College of Commerce. I will work on getting swimming and ECDL although im pretty good with computers (Average:P). I am currently doing first aid and my driving test is soon. As much as it pains me waiting I am only 20 so I have time to improve my skills. Hopefully by 25 ill be in the AGS though it was my lifetime plan to be a full time member by 25. Im waiting for the medical for the reserves, I joined for the expierence it could give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Cork College of Commerce. I will work on getting swimming and ECDL although im pretty good with computers (Average:P). I am currently doing first aid and my driving test is soon. As much as it pains me waiting I am only 20 so I have time to improve my skills. Hopefully by 25 ill be in the AGS though it was my lifetime plan to be a full time member by 25. Im waiting for the medical for the reserves, I joined for the expierence it could give.

The the only other advice I can give you is keep the head down, dont get into trouble and try stay fit and healthy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Just make sure you fulfill the basic educational requirements first. Read this and look for the Educational Requirements under the Do I need Irish to join? section. A lot of people get caught out by thinking degrees negate these requirements.

psni wrote: »
    Just make sure you fulfill the basic educational requirements first. Read this and look for the Educational Requirements under the Do I need Irish to join? section. A lot of people get caught out by thinking degrees negate these requirements.
    Not to worry ive kept up to date with requirements since I was 16 and i meet them. What I want a degree for is to make myself more how would you say more of what they want when going for intreview. The more skills you have the better in everyway not just for the AGS but life too. So if I have a degree ill have a back up plan if I dont get in, but honestly all I want is AGS couldnt see myself doing anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

You sound just like me Tyron! :D

:D:P Have you joined the reserves? I go to college with alot of students who want to be prison officers, customs and guards:D It pays to be prepaired as a few in the college failed the reserve interviews:( I try to know as much as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

eroo wrote: »
    You sound just like me Tyron! :D

and me :D
    I'm waiting for my medical for the reserves aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adrian2

Hello I am currently in year 2 of a fetac level 6 police studies course. This course involves Customer Care, Health and safety, First Aid, Security systems, Forensics, criminal psychology, communications, computers and other modules. I Was wondering has anyone done this course before current AGS members or otherwise?

I am hoping to join the AGS as soon as the next recruitment drive. I have applied for the reserve to get expierence but I am currently waiting for my medical. I was hoping to be in the AGS college by now but since the 2010 recruitment has not happend im going to apply to CIT for a computer course while I wait. I think ill get as many skills as I can before the next intake.

well to be honest i think your doing all you can and that course sounds like it will be very beneficial, im in the reserves and was one of the lucky last ones to get in when recruitment for that was good.im doing a masters while im waiting but to be honest i dont know where the next two years will take me!hope it works out for yourself anyway!keep the head up!

adrian2 wrote: »
    well to be honest i think your doing all you can and that course sounds like it will be very beneficial, im in the reserves and was one of the lucky last ones to get in when recruitment for that was good.im doing a masters while im waiting but to be honest i dont know where the next two years will take me!hope it works out for yourself anyway!keep the head up!
    Yes hopefully. I got my full licence there too recently. However like alot of ye I am finding it very fustrating waiting for recruitment. I will be starting another course soon if recruitment doenst happen and my chioce is computers or forensics however I feel all I want to do is be in AGS starting my career and at 21 finishing this course and starting another is not appealing to me as its a path im being forced up but it has to be done. I had thought that by now I would be a full time member....

• Advertisement
Advertisement