Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Beach House tonight! :):)

Block E tickets are available from Ticketmaster now, F-Y'all-I

Headed to this. I'm snapping it so can't wait. My 2nd photopass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Beach House were so good tonight. Mile Stereo was mind-blowing, perfect way to end the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Pitchfork gave Drake an 8.4 and Kanyé West a 10 so I guess the real question is:

Why the **** do people still read Pitchfork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I read Pitchfork pretty much exclusively for Mark Richardson. The man is a stunningly talented writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Kold wrote: »
    Pitchfork gave Drake an 8.4 and Kanyé West a 10 so I guess the real question is:

Why the **** do people still read Pitchfork?

Kanye album is quite good. Dont know if its 10/10 good though. I think they've only awarded a 10 to a handful of albums on their initial release. Kid A, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and that And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead album. I dont think any album should ever get a perfect score but YHF and Kid A come very close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kid V wrote: »
    Kanye album is quite good. Dont know if its 10/10 good though. I think they've only awarded a 10 to a handful of albums on their initial release. Kid A, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and that And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead album. I dont think any album should ever get a perfect score but YHF and Kid A come very close.

I like the start and end of the Kanye rec, not too gone on alot of the stuff in the middle. I also think i would like it even less if 'd known any of the hype he'd built up over it.

Yankee and Kid A are near perfect albums though, well for me anyway. Yankee especially, it all just flows together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Amnesiac >

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Kold wrote: »
    Amnesiac >

naaaaa. its pretty much a perfect album but i think Kid A trumps it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

To be honest, aside from the scores, which are more or less random, their reviews can be pretty good, and they still are one of the best on the go at spotting great new bands. Their big weakness, as in the Kanye review, is their overbearing tendency to try and write "significant" reviews when it comes to big releases. Makes for a lot of soundbitey hyperbolé.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Scien wrote: »
    In other news, Explosions in the Sky are here in May.

Excellent. Good to see them playing Vicar Street at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Bah, London date is twice the size of the Dublin one.

Debating on going to Beach House tonight but it's the same scenario.

Anyone ever go to the phantomfm music quiz? Its on monthly in the sugar club?

What's it like?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've always wanted to go but could never get a team together! I'd say it's good craic! Is it all music or is there other stuff thrown in?

Twee. wrote: »
    I've always wanted to go but could never get a team together! I'd say it's good craic! Is it all music or is there other stuff thrown in?

Twee! That's what i want to know too. I was at one years ago (i mean years ago!) but i think that was just a once off quiz and the two petes were asking the questions. Good times.

Edit. Yep it's all music with a cheesy pop round to boot.

Alt & Indie Beers tbh.

Alt & Indie Beers tbh.

The stick a boards team would get. Would it be worth it.

@rigsi? i have no idea what you're talking about. But welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

A load of the other forums do boards beers don't they? Alt Indie beers would be cool.

lordgoat wrote: »
    The stick a boards team would get. Would it be worth it.

Beware! We're from teh internetz!!11!

Beware! We're from teh internetz!!11!

watch the fcuk out!

@El Pron, i'd suggest crashing the FAP next beers... Don't you know they're one of the most popular forums (girls) in school...

• Advertisement

There hasn't been any FAP beers yet! Must get onto that in the new year. We are officially F&A for short, but everyone just says FAP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

one of the most popular forums (girls) in school...

IIRC they had bother with some of the Ladies Lounge get-togethers for similar reasons.

I like the idea of an Altie/Indie Phantom quiz team very much, for the record.

There hasn't been any FAP beers yet! Must get onto that in the new year. We are officially F&A for short, but everyone just says FAP :(

FAP's a much snappier title!;)
    IIRC they had bother with some of the Ladies Lounge get-togethers for similar reasons.

Creep central population boards?! Jeff's the only one worth stalking on this board...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Kanye's new album is delish. When's the quiz?

Sweet wrote: »
    Kanye's new album is delish. When's the quiz?

Just listening to it now. The fact I haven't got bored and flicked on to something else (especially in these distracting times) is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Anyone ever go to the phantomfm music quiz? Its on monthly in the sugar club?

What's it like?
    I went to two Christmas ones a few years ago, good craic. No idea what it's like now. Never won anything neither! I had a vocal acrosssugarclub argument with the MC about one the questions they got had the wrong answer. Looked it up when I got home and turned out they were right ><

Just found out You Say Party! are playing Pravda of all places next month. Sweet. Last.fm never notified me cause they changed their name. Bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ended up going to that London Beach House date. Their biggest show to date, not a massive fan but enjoyed it all the same.

My friend reviewed Beach House in Vicar Street the other night while I shot it for The Fly Magazine - Review is here for anyone interested.

Jim wrote: »
    Just found out You Say Party! are playing Pravda of all places next month. Sweet. Last.fm never notified me cause they changed their name. Bull****.

Yeah they changed the name after the drummer died. Ironically to be supported by We Should Be Dead. I have to show face to this gig and miss my Christmas work do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yeah they changed the name after the drummer died. Ironically to be supported by We Should Be Dead. I have to show face to this gig and miss my Christmas work do.

Yea, heard that on alright. On stage no less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Jim wrote: »
    Just found out You Say Party! are playing Pravda of all places next month. Sweet.

It's called the Grand Social now, isn't it?

Advertisement