Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dental Phobia Support

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I've paid my dentist twice to get out of the chair at the last minute for two filings, just couldn't go through with the procedure. He had half drilled two molars previously but I couldn't let him finish so now I have two unnecessary holes that need finishing. I heard about a procedure that uses water jet (or laser) on fillings and is less painful/doesn't require anaesthetic but can't find anything local. anyone know what I'm referring to or where it's available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sean oggie

Hi ZXY,
    I'm a dentist and am sorry to inform you that there is no magic bullet to replace the "drill". Also, there is no such device in the world that allows teeth to be cut, or fillings replaced without the need for local anaesthetic.
    I would strongly recommend that you ask your dentist to organise for you to have your fillings replaced under intravenous sedation.
    Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Thanks Sean, could have sworn I saw something on the news about it last year, wouldnt mind so much the anaesthetic just can't do the drill. Have talked to dentist and there was only one person locally who used sedation and he didn't really recommend. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

zxy - I saw the same story on the news last year , i believe it was a new development by a Japanese dentist so it will probably be years before it is available here .
    Going for 'twillight sleep' myself in 8 hours time . After years of pain and researching help for phobic patients I finally did it ! If you would like the dentists name (in Dublin) I will p.m you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Sienna Vast Peasant

Lasers, air abrasion and water drills have been around for ages. Every now and again a dentist buys one and goes on about how it is a revolutionary new technology but its not. (hell I saw a dentist on the 6 one news last year talking about drill less dentistry using lasers but this is only marketing hype) The problem is that the dont work very well unless the filling is very very small, there is still not substitute for the drill if you need a big filling, old fillings removed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Samash

zxy - I saw the same story on the news last year , i believe it was a new development by a Japanese dentist so it will probably be years before it is available here .
    Going for 'twillight sleep' myself in 8 hours time . After years of pain and researching help for phobic patients I finally did it ! If you would like the dentists name (in Dublin) I will p.m you .

hi pauline,
    how did this go for you? could you explain this procedure please. also if you could pm me the dentists details too that would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SedationDentist

Having had a particular interest in treating nervous patients for the last 10+yr, I've seen some terrified people come in the door. Here are some suggestions/advice for the terrified:
      Forget about the stereotypical grumpy dentist who will moan at you for not having been for years. Nobody wants to hear that, and your dentist knows it; he/she will be friendly and sympathetic (or out of business!). The days of the rough dentist are long over, I promise you.
      I always hear "that's not as bad as I thought" and
    not "it's worse than I thought". In my experience, phobic patients overestimate the extent of the problems, particularly when they have been worrying about it for years. People tend to be surprised when all the treatment can be done in a couple of appointments.
      Plan for your first visit to be an easy one. Sometimes patients ask for an appointment just to meet the dentist and practice team without us even looking in the mouth! That's ok, you are not wasting the dentist's time, he/she will have to charge you for a consultation, but an introduction is an important first step.
      Consider the use of sedatives to get you through the appointment. Some practices offer IV sedation (sometimes called twilight sedation); it's close to a miracle drug, and can be used in a dental clinic outside of hospital (unlike general anaesthetic).
      Get your friends and family on board. Don't go to the first appointment alone, bring someone along for moral support. They will also be able to come into the surgery to ask questions and take in the answers if you are too focused on your fear!
    I've had a lot of patients tell me that taking the plunge, and getting their teeth fixed has been a huge positive force in their lives. For me, it's the most rewarding part of my job.
    Good luck and go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zoeczk

abceire wrote: »
    ok so i m very nervous of the dentist, i went today for the 1st time in about 4 years,i need a few filling and teeth cleaned and maybe one tooth removed, i m 32 and had to bring my mom with me , i ve fainted before at the dentist, when i m very nervous i can faint, not happened in maybe over two years,i hate having to sit there with my mouth open not able to escape, i even had some valium that my mom got for me today, which did help,but the dentist who was understanding and friendly,cshe checked out me teeth,noted what had to be done and then put this kinda flat plastic thing in the side of my mouth so she could do an x ray, i couldnt keep it in my mouth because i felt i would throw up,so i had to leave it at that, she said go see a doctor and ask for something to help me relax,not sure doctors will do this, will they?i dont have a regular doctor,just one i ve been to 2 or 3 times
    i do remember goin as a kid needed fillings and 2 teeth removed, the dentist told me what relaxing pills to get, i got them and was hi as a kite,he did all the work in one go, i was grand with it as i was so hi on valium, but i woke up later at home with stuff flowing from my mouth and i fainted,
    i so want to get my teeth sorted and then i hope go twice a year to get them checked and cleaned,i d like to get over my fear of dentists but not sure how, the valium might be the only answer
    do any dentist around dublin use gas and knock you out?
    i like the idea in one way but then in another i know that if your put to sleep that ll make me worry the week before too
    so any advice??????
    sorry for the big rant
    nice to hear from others who feel the same

ditto!
    so scared of dentist. got brave last summer ( wanted a new me!) my apointme3nt was four 0 clock . took the dentist 25 mins to pull a back tooth. now im terrified again. need sum work think i have gum disease. dont know where to go or who to see, and i only have the medical card. i think its medical card dentists who created the fear of dentists in ireland. the only ones who will knock you out are across the border./ but half the price of irish dentists. have heard great reports. my husband is polish, and my own GP recommended i go to poland for treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

r u in dublin? my dentist is brilliant :) i was terrified to go and put it off for years.. its just about finding the right one

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KittyMcM

didn't realise this thread existed, your stories are amazing and comforting. I have cancelled so may appointments. I am 28 and have ben twice since i was 12, both for emergency dental work. really thought i was alone on this one x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Didn't realize this thread existed either. You are certainly not alone Kitty. Was a very nervous patient myself for years. Hadn't been to a dentist for 10 years up until 2 yrs ago until i had to
    Could'nt believe the change....
    Treatments have advanced in leaps and bounds. A whole new experience. Was even there today for a filling. No problems.
    So anyone who's nervous....it can be overcome with a positive attitude.
    And as i was saying if you haven't been there for long time you won't believe how treatments have advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KittyMcM

yeah that's so true and it's not like irish dentists can afford to treat you with contempt when you visit as their numbers are down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Up until 1 year ago I was terrified of going to the Dentist. All through my primary school years every dentist I went to was horrible to me. The primary school dentist in town that we were all sent to was the most grey dull depressing place every and she was really rough with us. Every time the treatment was extremely painful to me. one particular incident was when I was getting a filling and the dentist gave me the injection when a sharp pain shot up through my face in through my nose sort of jerking my head back (any idea why?). The drill was a really bad piercing pain, Ill never forget how bad it was. The dentist didn't seem to care if I said it hurt etc.

BUT

After I left primary school, that was no longer the dentist I had to see. For 6 years of Secondary I avoided the dentist until last year when I went for a check up at a clinic in the city. The dentist seemed much much more professional and gentle, everything she treated me for didn't hurt what so ever and it was actually a pretty reassuring experience.

I'm still a little bit sketchy when it comes to the syringe but I can now go to the dentist without extreme fear, heavy breathing and dreading it for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

As a person who was TOTALLY SCARED OUT OF MY WITS of the Dentist - I have become someone who now ENJOYS going..

Before I overcame my fear I had gum disease,needed two back teeth pulled and several fillings ....

I found a great dentist which helped my fear BUT the main thing I realized was that YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WEALTH and you cannot put a price on it.... Oral health gives you so much confidence..

I am typing this in work after just coming from the Dentist in bray ....... and not a bother on me..

anyone reading this who is afraid : PUT YOUR HEALTH BEFORE YOUR FEAR OF THE DENTIST !!!!

SURFER

As a person who was TOTALLY SCARED OUT OF MY WITS of the Dentist - I have become someone who now ENJOYS going..

Before I overcame my fear I had gum disease,needed two back teeth pulled and several fillings ....

I found a great dentist which helped my fear BUT the main thing I realized was that YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WEALTH and you cannot put a price on it.... Oral health gives you so much confidence..

I am typing this in work after just coming from the Dentist in bray ....... and not a bother on me..

anyone reading this who is afraid : PUT YOUR HEALTH BEFORE YOUR FEAR OF THE DENTIST !!!!

SURFER
    I was the same. It's all in the head really(if you'll pardon the pun :rolleyes:) And the treatments nowdays have advanced considerably compared to years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Its the Irish dental bill Im afraid of.

A 750 euro crown in Ireland costs 160 euros in Czech Republic in a state of the art dentist practice I hear.

Another difference is the dentists there only own one average size house unlike the greedy fcukers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭loveofliving

Alibaba and Sufing-Boxer, I honestly could not agree more!

I was absolutely TERRIFIED of the dentist to the point of having panic attacks even THINKING about the day that I MIGHT even CONSIDER just making an appointment. I would be in tears at the thought and would become hysterical.

I remember we had dental check-ups in school and I had no choice as my mam always followed it up of course. That sad thing is I remember turning a certain age and being so happy that no person could now MAKE me go to the dentist and it was my choice. I was completely in denial.

7 years ago I had an appointment and I got a filling (horrible experience for a lot of reasons mainly bad dentist) and she told me I needed a tooth extracted as it was rotten. I never went back.

It was always in the back of my head and my boyfriend has always made little comments about how eventually I would have to go, cue panicky feeling all over again. I hated to even talk about it!

for some reason something clicked with me this year (I think a lot of it had to do with the bf who has had oral surgery, bridges, crowns, braces among other dental treatements through his life and the encouragement he gave me). I decided I would make an appointment when I got back from my summer holiday to Lanzarote. I remember being on the plane home and feeling that all too familiar feeling of panick just thinking about the fact that I knew people were expecting me to make the appointment.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I made the appointment immediately (only way to do it, dont delay and make it worse for yourself). I had about two weeks of absolute torture. it is all i thought about and I was obsessive about it. I decided to read a book called "feel the fear and do it anyway" and it helped me SO much. i definitely felt more calm about it after reading this book. I went for the appointment ( a day early after all that because when i called to confirm my appointment they had made a mess of it and the appointment wasn't showing up so they asked could I come down NOW when I called the day before... ended up being a blessing as it was all over sooner than i thought it would have been) and I brought my mam with me. I was making jokes about how terrified i was and really trying to keep it together but when the nurse called me and I walked in to the room and saw what it looked like after 7 years I nearly fainted. All the fear came rushing back. The dentist was talking to me and my mam said for the first time ever she heard my voice quiver. I was petrified. He examined me and said my teeth werent in bad knick at all and that I needed the rooten tooth pulled, two fillings and a dressing on my front tooth which was chipped. I asked him to pull the tooth there and then despite him saying "ok, are you sure you wouldnt rather build it up to that?" in other words start with fillings and keep worst till last, but I wanted the opposite. All that anxiety etc would come back so I wanted the worst and all over. It was absolutely FINE. Mild discomfort with two anaesthetic injections, no pain after that just pressure and a little tenderness after. I went back today two weeks later with no reservations and had a filling in my back molar (again two more injections) and though I did not like the drilling (brought me back to bad childhood experience) it was fine. i go next week to get one more filling and then thats me done. I am so proud of myself and honestly if I can overcome this fear anyone can!

Its true, your health is your wealth, and I cannot believe it will all be over in a week and I will be a "normal" dental patient who gets check ups every 6 months!

You'd never know Im delighted with myself would you?:D haha

Alibaba and Sufing-Boxer, I honestly could not agree more!

I was absolutely TERRIFIED of the dentist to the point of having panic attacks even THINKING about the day that I MIGHT even CONSIDER just making an appointment. I would be in tears at the thought and would become hysterical.

I remember we had dental check-ups in school and I had no choice as my mam always followed it up of course. That sad thing is I remember turning a certain age and being so happy that no person could now MAKE me go to the dentist and it was my choice. I was completely in denial.

7 years ago I had an appointment and I got a filling (horrible experience for a lot of reasons mainly bad dentist) and she told me I needed a tooth extracted as it was rotten. I never went back.

It was always in the back of my head and my boyfriend has always made little comments about how eventually I would have to go, cue panicky feeling all over again. I hated to even talk about it!

for some reason something clicked with me this year (I think a lot of it had to do with the bf who has had oral surgery, bridges, crowns, braces among other dental treatements through his life and the encouragement he gave me). I decided I would make an appointment when I got back from my summer holiday to Lanzarote. I remember being on the plane home and feeling that all too familiar feeling of panick just thinking about the fact that I knew people were expecting me to make the appointment.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I made the appointment immediately (only way to do it, dont delay and make it worse for yourself). I had about two weeks of absolute torture. it is all i thought about and I was obsessive about it. I decided to read a book called "feel the fear and do it anyway" and it helped me SO much. i definitely felt more calm about it after reading this book. I went for the appointment ( a day early after all that because when i called to confirm my appointment they had made a mess of it and the appointment wasn't showing up so they asked could I come down NOW when I called the day before... ended up being a blessing as it was all over sooner than i thought it would have been) and I brought my mam with me. I was making jokes about how terrified i was and really trying to keep it together but when the nurse called me and I walked in to the room and saw what it looked like after 7 years I nearly fainted. All the fear came rushing back. The dentist was talking to me and my mam said for the first time ever she heard my voice quiver. I was petrified. He examined me and said my teeth werent in bad knick at all and that I needed the rooten tooth pulled, two fillings and a dressing on my front tooth which was chipped. I asked him to pull the tooth there and then despite him saying "ok, are you sure you wouldnt rather build it up to that?" in other words start with fillings and keep worst till last, but I wanted the opposite. All that anxiety etc would come back so I wanted the worst and all over. It was absolutely FINE. Mild discomfort with two anaesthetic injections, no pain after that just pressure and a little tenderness after. I went back today two weeks later with no reservations and had a filling in my back molar (again two more injections) and though I did not like the drilling (brought me back to bad childhood experience) it was fine. i go next week to get one more filling and then thats me done. I am so proud of myself and honestly if I can overcome this fear anyone can!

Its true, your health is your wealth, and I cannot believe it will all be over in a week and I will be a "normal" dental patient who gets check ups every 6 months!

You'd never know Im delighted with myself would you?:D haha
    Well done. Tis great to hear that. As i say i was the same as yourself. I'd say the school schemes years ago instilled a lot of fear of dentists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Alibaba wrote: »
    Didn't realize this thread existed either. You are certainly not alone Kitty. Was a very nervous patient myself for years. Hadn't been to a dentist for 10 years up until 2 yrs ago until i had to
    Could'nt believe the change....
    Treatments have advanced in leaps and bounds. A whole new experience. Was even there today for a filling. No problems.
    So anyone who's nervous....it can be overcome with a positive attitude.
    And as i was saying if you haven't been there for long time you won't believe how treatments have advanced.

When people say treatments have come on leaps and bounds, what timeframe are we talking here?

I am 24 years old and absolutely petrified of the dentist. Even just talking about it, I can imagine the smell, the chair, the light in your face, the taste and my heart starts beating fast, I start getting shakey and clammy hands and am almost in tears. I had bad experiences as a child like many people which stopped me from going to the dentist through most of my secondary school years up until last April (2010). Half of my tooth fell out and I just had to go to the dentist. It was a female dentist and I told her to just take the remaining tooth out, I don't mind that, it's the drill I despise. Anyway, she couldn't because it would affect my bite so I had to endure a long, very painful filling. I was shaking and crying in the chair and she didn't care at all and just kept lecturing me. Everytime I always feel the pain and the sensation of the drill is just horrible.

I need to go to the dentist again and I am petrified. I would love to get the IV sedation but I simply cannot afford it. My mum suggested valium but I wonder would it be enough to calm me? Has anyone any experience using valium?

Also, any time I went to the dentist when I was younger, I was always told I needed a few fillings. I have never had problems with my teeth (apart from the one mentioned above) and never had toothaches or anything and I always thought this was a bit of a scam to get you to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

You can come out the other end of treatment actually enjoying going to the dentist. Three years ago my teeth were in desperate condition and the morning my little boy started school I broke part of my front tooth so knew I had to go.

I had often made appointments but would always ring up about two days before and cancel as "something" had come up. This particular morning when I rang the secretary said to come up straight away so I had to go.

I arrived absolutely petrified. I explained to the dentist that I had had a dreadful fear but knew I had to get treatment. I had a lot of work done, fillings replaced and two extractions plus a crown to repair my front tooth. I had very deep cleaning done by the hygienist over 4 visits. I had them whitened and had all the work finished by Christmas.

It was expensive but now three years on I have no fear whatsoever. My dentist is fantastic and I trust her. When I went in first I was a bag of nerves and couldn't stop crying. I had to go this morning to have something investigated and had no bother going in to sit in the chair.

I visit her twice a year and the hygienist every 4 months. It's worth it. They gave me my smile back.

• Advertisement

I just had two fillings, a tooth basically reconstructed (it had snapped in half and they kept part of the tooth, the rest is filling) and a molar extracted in the one sitting. I did it under conscious sedation up north.

They had to put a cannula in my arm which is enough to send me into hysterics (I just don't like having ANY medical procedures done, nothing, hate all of it) and I was freaking out with the cannula, they kept saying "It's not a needle! It's a small plastic tube!" Heard this SO many times, it doesn't matter what it is, it's in my vein and it's hurting! Then they administered the first sedative. They said "Tell me when your face starts to feel heavy", I remember saying "Yeah I can feel that", and after that? I remember nothing. My boyfriend is able to tell me I started talking about my budgies, my cats, and also my horse who died two years ago! Gave me a right laugh. They just sat and watched me till I stopped talking, then my boyfriend left the room (he's not great with dentists anyway, he didn't need to watch what was happening). I remember nothing from saying "I can feel that now" until suddenly I was looking at the light above me, and had my arms crossed which is weird cause normally I wont move my arm with a cannula in it, so much my hand turns blue. They said they'd done all the front fillings but still had to extract the tooth. I asked if it would hurt and they said probably not, cause they'd done all the anesthetic stuff already. I was awake all along, but remember nothing until they took the tooth out, and even then, didn't feel a thing and don't remember much of it.

However I don't remember much for the day for the next two hours either. I was awake and texting my friends and being driven home, my boyfriend tells me I turned into an evil cow and ranted at him the entire hour home, but I was quite sure I'd slept. Apparently not.

I was not happy with the reconstruction of my tooth, it looked pretty awful. But being as phobic of procedures as I am, don't care. I didn't feel a thing and I don't remember any of it. And I'm very relieved to hear I only talked about my pets when I was going under the sedation, God knows what I could have come out with! That is, if my boyfriend is telling me the truth about that!

I do recommend it, for sure. However if you are sensitive to valium (well, benzos in general) be aware that this is a mighty dose of it. Valium always causes me to crash emotionally a few hours later and become extremely depressed. Suicidal even, for no reason. It just reacts badly with me. I became a demon for two hours after the sedative and spent the next 36 hours crying my heart out.

I would definitely go for more dental work now, after years of avoiding the dentist, under sedation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Haven't been in 13 years. One bad experience turned me off them. I finally went yesterday and it was fine, the guy was very nice. Just needed 3 fillings. Going to get them done and cleaned.

All the worry is gone now and I'm so much happier :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Having been petrified of the dentist, i finally made it to one a few weeks ago after approx TEN years :eek:. I shook at the very mention of the dentist. I broke out in the sweats everytime I thought I really must make an appointment. I've never had any pain with my teeth but was well aware that i would need fillings and I also had a horridly bad tarter build up on the backs of my lower front teeth. I felt that at twenty seven and always been complemented on my smile it would be rather stupid to let it rot.

Anyway after much searching and shaking, I was told of a Dentist in Sligo that specialises in Nervous patients. (Anyone wanting to know who it is, feel free to PM me, I believe its against rules to name names) I made an appointment and had my first check up, the dentist was very very friendly and put me at ease straightaway. He did my x rays, checked my teeth, gums etc and then told me what needed to be done. As he said I had no big things to be done just a few smaller things and following these being completed and with care and regular check ups my teeth should be my teeth for the rest of my life. I needed six small fillings and two visits with the hygienist for a deep cleaning and root planing. He said my bone structure was good, all my teeth were strong and had good roots and my wisdom teeth were causing no problems. He gave me NO lecture on waiting so long to visit etc, which was brilliant. I felt it was because he knew I was well aware of it and didnt need a telling off.

So i made my first visit to the hygienist the following week. I was a little less nervous but still felt anxious about it. The hygienist was lovely, very friendly, comforting and explained everything she was going to do in great detail including what each instrument was for and how it should feel. The cleaning was uncomfortable at times but never painful or too much to bare. She did say that if I got sore at any stage she would numb my mouth. When she finished she told me what to expect in the next few days and also showed me how to floss correctly. Over the course of the week, I could see and feel a significant difference in my gums and teeth. Even tough I didnt have any pain before Now they feel healthy and normal if that makes sense :p

Anyway earlier today I had my second visit to finish the right side of my mouth, again not painful. She was very happy with how my gums looked and how my cleaning was going. She said I had no further build ups and to keep cleaning my teeth as well as I am now. I didnt feel nervous at all and she said she could sense the difference in me.

I just need to start my filling now and soon it'll all be over. I dont feel anxious at all about it now :D. This practise also offer the twilight sedation, which I really thought I would need but after speaking to the dentist and hygienist, I feel comfortable to go it with just the numbing. To cut a long story short, for someone who never felt they would be comfortable with a dentist, I'm quite amazed by myself :D. I'm determined to keep on top of things now, with regular check ups and cleanings.

To people reading putting it off like I have done for so long, I encourage going for it, you wont regret it. Your health and smile is much more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Can anyone tell me what this twilight drug is. I used to go to a dentist on the bottom of the Malahide Rd who used a memory blocker. He died a few years ago and I am terrified of all other dentists. I have sat in the chair and cried like a baby. Is this twilight stuff the same as the memory blocker and are there many dentists who use this on their petients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Hey folks,

VERY VERY VERY nervous dentist goer here (havnt been in 15years) Basically to cut a long story short, my molar broke and went to the dentist to discover I needed six fillings aswell as the broken tooth out. I fainted - yup on the floor, bang in the waiting area/reception..... bad experience.

Op, I'm chopping this. You havent been to the dentist in 15 years, its not a whole lot of money and frankly the bulk of it is being spent on the IV sedation which not every dentist does.
    If you get a local it will be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

boxoff wrote: »
    Hey folks,

VERY VERY VERY nervous dentist goer here (havnt been in 15years) Basically to cut a long story short, my molar broke and went to the dentist to discover I needed six fillings aswell as the broken tooth out. I fainted - yup on the floor, bang in the waiting area/reception..... bad experience.

Op, I'm chopping this. You havent been to the dentist in 15 years, its not a whole lot of money and frankly the bulk of it is being spent on the IV sedation which not every dentist does.
    If you get a local it will be cheaper.

Thanks pal for advise - do most dentist give local A?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

boxoff wrote: »
    Thanks pal for advise - do most dentist give local A?
    Yes they all will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr. Deadly

I had a bad experience last time I went to a dentist and I haven't been back since, that was 3 years ago.
    My teeth are in bad condition, I didn't take care of them as I should have and I really should go, but A I'm worried about finding out exactly how bad my teeth are as I'm only 26.

B
    I'm afraid I'll get a judgemental dentist

C
    The experience will be as painful as it was last time when I got a wisdom tooth out. (2 weeks pain)

And finally D the dentist will pull out most of my teeth.
    I'm definitely more afraid than most!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

I'm terribly phobic of the dentist- have only ever had two cavities, years and years ago and cannot bear to think about getting one pulled or anything worse.

It's been twelve years since I've been and I'm sick of having this fear constantly hanging over me, so am planning to go soon. I decided earlier this summer. It's quite the process! I've been reading a lot of forums like this one and hearing that other people as scared of the dentist as I am have managed to go and how great they've felt afterwards is really encouraging.

I've located a dentist in Meath (pm for details) despite living nowhere near Meath, who offers the twilight sedation for €160, which I think is a really good deal, particularly because my phobia is so bad that I would pay whatever it takes, even if it meant taking a loan out. I also got my doctor to prescribe me some valium, just a few days ago, which I plan to take before the check-up.

The next step for me is making the appointment. I'm still very nervous about how much work I will need done, and am hoping it is only some fillings (though that still scares me!). I'm considering asking the dentist not to tell me explicitly what needs doing, and think I might handle it better that way. I'm trying to focus on A) the fact that everyone says the twilight sedation is amazing and you really don't feel afraid or care, and B) how AWESOME I will feel afterwards knowing I did this. It will be priceless.

I just want to say that a year ago, I could never in my right mind have imagined that I'd be planning to go to the dentist of my own free will. In part, I think I will feel that bit more in control and positive if I go by my own choice than if I leave it until someday when I NEED to go.

Some little tips that I think have helped me thus far (-I know I haven't made the appointment yet, so it seems a bit early to be giving tips but even just my attitude has come so far in a short space of time by deciding I'm going to go!!)
    -close your eyes and imagine yourself going to the dentist and having a positive experience. if you find yourself getting scared or imagining a pervious bad experience, stop yourself, and try again in a couple minutes.

-when thinking, talking or writing about it, use language you are more comfortable with. i now say dentists office instead of dentists surgery, cavities instead of fillings, 'be numbed' rather than 'get the injection' etc, and i think it helps me feel calmer.

tell a couple of people about your phobia and how you plan to finally start facing it. preferably tell someone you really admire (or have a crush on) and sound confident and determined.or maybe someone who really looks up to you and who you don't want to let down. showing off is good in this context! this helps me because it makes me not want to wuss out, and instead to be the confident person I sounded like.

i find music helps a lot,and when i feel anxious thinking about the dentist, I'll listen to certain songs that make me feel better. I most definitely plan on blasting my ipod while in the chair. think about your own feelgood music.

remember with all these stories, EVERYONE feels better after they go. nobody says they wish they hadn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I've never had any good experiences with any dentist, The first major dental procedure I needed was at age 10 when I broke my front tooth in half. The female dentist said to let her know if the pain was too much and she would stop immediately. Well, as she was shoving the needle into the gum just above my tooth I was blinded with the pain so held up my hand to let her know it was too painful. She ignored me completely, she took out the needle then re-inserted it again. I tried to push her away and her male assistant held me down as she finished inserting the needle (which took her 3 attempts in total!). Aside from feeling helpless I was terrified and not one of them spoke to me throughout the whole thing.

I was told today by my GP that I need to have my gum "sliced open" and "antibiotics shoved in" for a really painful infected wisdom tooth. I've been on the verge of tears all evening just thinking about it :(

Advertisement