Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Prince of Burma appreciation thread

• 16-10-2010 3:19pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as it says in the title - this thread is for 'off topic' ramblings, so you can discuss whatever takes your fancy, whether it's a fine filly or colt you saw recently, or a good day you've had at the races.

As it's off topic, it'll be more laid back than the other threads, so most of the guidelines in the charter won't apply - just don't go actin' the muppet and you'll be fine.

If anyone has any suggestions for a thread title, you can post here or PM me.

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm taking the thread's virginity. Great day for Cecil today,well deserved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

greetings wrote: »
    I'm taking the thread's virginity.

Noooooooo!
    Great day for Cecil today,well deserved.

Didn't see the race, but it sounded like a good finish from the brief replay I heard on the radio.

Don't worry Convert,I took it gently.
    It was,I don't think I ever knew Twice Over had a turn of foot quite like today. The runners went from a soft pace to blistering quick in the snap of a finger and Twice Over had everyone on the back foot in a matter of strides.

Celestial Halo falls in its first chase today.

And Ruby broke his arm when he fell.

edit-No he didn't.

• Advertisement

Ruby on the Late Late now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Ruby on the Late Late now

Just watched it now. I saw him on the LLS last time he was on after the 2009 Festival. He's a very popular man in this country. I always find myself not backing his rides cause they're too obvious. Stupid system! He's always on one of the three best in any race.

He comes across as a decent enough person but you can tell he could be an awful prick if he fancied it.

He's philosophical about the "Any tips, Ruby!?" I believe him when he says he hates tipping losers and we all know how that feels. On the whole I like the interaction between him and McCoy. Ruby can be very cheeky and expect McCoy to follow him in. One interview at Cheltenham I remember last year was great. Ruby tried to be smart about Paddy Brennan and McCoy was having none of it, professional as anything McCoy. The LLS should get him on.

Interesting that Ruby has a go at the jockey facilities in Ireland too. I remember McCoy having a go at them last season too. Says he would rather not ride in Ireland. This is some shit hole we live in.

PS, thought you were carrying this thread very well on your own greetings.

I can remember him saying that,I think it might have been Thurles but I'm not sure. Everything so much better organised over there,even if they BHA are ****.
    I'd rather listen to McCoy,I did enjoy when JP McManus was on it though,what a gentleman,Irish racing owes him a lot.
    Without him in jumps and without the likes of the 3 Ballydoyle owners,Irish racing would really regress significantly. Pity most people would only really have Ruby on,not a lot may have any interest in Aidan. Derrick Smith or John Magnier would be great to listen to.

And thanks Nulty,seemed like a bit of a one man parade for a while.

Wet and windy weather... It can only mean one thing... NH season is here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Was just scouting around imdb and found that a film has been made about the 2002 Melbourne cup. Anyone hear of this before ?? Brendan Glesson plays Dermot Weld in it . Think its based on the story of jockey Damien Oliver who won the race that year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1650056/

• Advertisement

Can't say I heard of it. Ragin,took Kingsfort out of a lucky 15 yesterday. Had blue bunting in it too,gutted to say the least.

decent start to the season from Somersby today. Should come on for the run etc etc. Hen Knight mentioned the Tingle Creek. The horse has gone round Sandown last season so should be interesting. The defeat today will make his price all the better. Tchiko Polos was primed for this race and the enigma that is Twist Magic looks back to his best. Perhaps an Autumn horse? He's sure to go well at Sandown again. Paul Nichols has won it the last 5 years running

Christy Twist Magic was a big price,didn't even know they were running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I stumbled across that race last night so managed to get on Tchico Polos, Twist Magic looked very good giving lumps of weight away.

Mr Hudson looks a very decent sort, he is by Old Vic so has the pedigree. He beat Madison du Berlais(going over hurdles???) off level weights in the first at Exeter and did it very gamely. I reckon he could well improve, what i find interesting is Nicholls only said the following in his stable tour:

"A winning pointer, he made a very encouraging debut when winning a Newton Abbot bumper in the spring, having led all the way. He has schooled well over hurdles and looks like one to keep on your side"

He is only 5 by the way and he does not seem to be in any Cheltenham lists so far.

Does anyone know if Pipe has decided Madison is too firmly in the grip of the handicapper and is sending him hurdling. The only hurdle race for him has to be the World Hurdle, if he appears on the list he might be worth a squeak.

I'd say he only ran in that so that he'd be fit for the Hennessy and if he ran over fences might carry a penalty.

This is about as "off topic" as this thread is going to get:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Was in the bookies today doing my lotto with the last of my loose change and had just €3.50 left so just decided to do a 30c yankee for the craic. Picked out the horses that were 4th in the betting and didn't even look at form on the next 4 races. Beckwith Star (unplaced 9/1) Darby's Turn (won 10/1), Major Malarkey (won 9/1), Flipping (won 8/1) won just under €400 for a €3.30 bet! But in a way gutted as when i was writing it out i was too late for the 2.20 at Nottingham! 4th in the betting Sweet Child O'Mine wins at 10/1!:eek: Think i might stick to these smaller bets instead!:D

BORED

Seems a bit quite in here or is it just me?

Probably too much 'business' to be discussed, with Murtagh's resignation, and other such 'not off topic' topics!

• Advertisement

Completely off topic in every sense but...

Cr*p, I've just noticed I let my coffee go cold - not a happy punter :mad:

convert wrote: »
    Completely off topic in every sense but...

Cr*p, I've just noticed I let my coffee go cold - not a happy punter :mad:

Coffee is only nice with lots of milk and sugar,I hope it wasn't a black coffee.

Coffee is only nice with lots of milk and sugar,I hope it wasn't a black coffee.

Interesting fact for you: in America they call it an African American coffee!!

Not a chance... Sugared coffee with milk all the way! :D
    hucklebuck wrote: »
    Interesting fact for you: in America they call it an African American coffee!!

I heard that before... I remember a teacher in schoool recounting a story of how they were berated because they asked for a black coffee instead of an 'AA' coffee!

I heard that before... I remember a teacher in schoool recounting a story of how they were berated because they asked for a black coffee instead of an 'AA' coffee!

Oh yes. Lawl,what a stupid society at times. Hmmm I'd love a roll.

Actually, I think it was a 'coloured' coffee back then, not AA! Still, same political correctness gone mad!

Actually, I think it was a 'coloured' coffee back then, not AA! Still, same political correctness gone mad!

Coloured? How dare you say that Convert. haw haw.
    Ahhh I've no food and so hungry.

That reminds me of a great South Park episode ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5UXwHD2YY&p=B94C10383EB284DB&index=16&playnext=2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Only noticed this now.

50927.gif

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Only noticed this now.

50927.gif

I lawled,don't like cats though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement