Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Major Oil Find Off Dalkey!!!!!

Options
  • 21-04-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

I was reading an article online a few weeks ago in relation to what could be a major oil find off the Dalkey coast line. The article suggests that Dalkey (or some area of it) could become a major hub for oil distribution. Another article hypothesizes the effects of the find if drilling is allowed to proceed. It suggests the possibility of building an oil terminal in the vicinity of Dalkey Village itself. If an oil terminal were to be built, the infrastructure within the area would need a massive revisit to cope with articulated oil trucks and to provide easier access to the M50. This would require the lifting of conservation areas in some parts to enable Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO) so that the necessary development can be carried out. What do y'all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There was a previous idea to put a deep water port in Dalkey, could be located in the same area, between Dalkey Island and the main land.

It would be much easier to simply pump it to Dublin Port where they could located a terminal/refinery on the site of the defunt glass factory premises or other vacant DDDA lots.

They're planning to test the area over the next few weeks.

Or they could simply flatten Bono's house and put it there :D

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Serves them right for lettin' the Plague into Ireland!!!!!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Well, looks like they found it alright.

Will be interesting to see how they bring it ashore. I expect no 'Shell to Sea' type protests from any residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They will be bused in from UCD (and Mayo)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

If a protest actually happens I will definitely go along (to make fun of the protestors while on my iPhone and drinking a Starbucks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ha ha star bucks in dalkey closed. We don't like your type around here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Dalkey_Island_Oil.jpg

ted1 wrote: »

ah another Dalkey Res who's against any outside companies :rolleyes:
    do you know "dalkeyresident" by any chance?

i'm killiney actually but dalkey is my local village ;) your right i can't stand outside companies i dispise the uniformcation of all the shopping centres and main shopping streets. you could be on grafton street, leeds, manchester, london etc they've all the same bloody shops. I prefer the sole traders who take pride on their work and offer alternatives to the mass products being forced down out throat. and anybody who drinks coffee wil tell you that starbucks i smuck compared to a decent locla coffee shop.

• Advertisement

Question asked in another thread:

Would it be *that* difficult to pipe the stuff to Dublin Port?

no it's shallow water. And it is actually a good few miles out from dalkey. It's a fairly large area. It's oil as oppose to gas so you wouldn't have the problem you have with mayo. The problem may lie with gormley declaring the whole of dublin bay as a special wild life conservation area.

shouldn't be but its a shallow bottom that could cause a lot of shifting difficulties, plus a conservation area is likely.

Dalkey island was identified as the most suitable place for a deep water oil terminal at some point due to the depth of the channel, thankfully it was never acted on though.

you should soon be able to see lots of wind turbines off dalkey, they have already test drilled for supports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

I am glad that Dalkey is getting some breaks, at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

It suggests the possibility of building an oil terminal in the vicinity of Dalkey Village itself. If an oil terminal were to be built, the infrastructure within the area would need a massive revisit to cope with articulated oil trucks and to provide easier access to the M50. This would require the lifting of conservation areas in some parts to enable Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO) so that the necessary development can be carried out. What do y'all think?
    Do you really believe that they would even countenance an oil terminal in or around Dalkey? With the price of land there? When it would be way way cheaper to site it somewhere in the Dublin port area and pipe it? Or even southwards towards Bray or even further.
    I really couldn't see the good people of Dalkey allowing such a blot on their landscape when, let's face it, they would have little or no benefit from it. The Oil company would be faced with buying land in, arguably, the most expensive area in the country. Not a chance of it happening or even being considered. The only possible beneficiaries of such an industry in Dalkey are the Pubs and can you see ould Mr Finnegan or yer man in the club welcoming a bunch of oily rig workers into their rather sniffy gin palaces? I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

i'm killiney actually but dalkey is my local village ;) your right i can't stand outside companies i dispise the uniformcation of all the shopping centres and main shopping streets. You could be on grafton street, leeds, manchester, london etc they've all the same bloody shops.

There are a couple of things wrong with this observation. It is similar to those made by 'dalkeyresident' on The Patton Flyer thread which I created: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055730592. It's a xenophobic and racist comment. As a person who has been living in Dalkey my whole life, I think Dalkey is loosing business as a result of the fact that it hasn't evolved at all over the last two or three decades. In other words, the area in general hasn't embraced that much change with the exception of building interiors being modernized. While I can understand that the village part should remain untouched by commercialization due to it's delicate character and those further east, I do think the area needs massive commercial expansion to re-establish itself as a coastal hub. Otherwise, people will just get bored of it. At present, the dark reality is that Dalkey isn't attracting large numbers of people in the sense that Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire is. It is no longer a commuting town because there isn't any catalyst which would generate larger traffic flows. At present, it is becoming a dead end for commercial traffic and indeed commuter traffic which is probably the reason why the general bus routes in the area take on very few people.
    I prefer the sole traders who take pride on their work and offer alternatives to the mass products being forced down out throat. and anybody who drinks coffee wil tell you that starbucks i smuck compared to a decent locla coffee shop.

That is all very well and good and I'm not suggesting for a second that you think otherwise. I do appreciate your sentimental values. However, that is not to say that Dalkey should remain confined to local establishments. After all, Eurospar is a multinational company in Dalkey which takes it's roots in Amsterdam. Currently, Dalkey has a very good variety of pubs, restaurants and cafés, some of which are traditional and others which are exotic. However, these services are only a small part of the much larger spectrum of commercial activity. For instance, nobody would spend a day in Dalkey doing their shopping. Yes, the area has a lot of nature trails and minor tourist spots. Nevertheless, these aren't methods of attracting large crowds. Before you jump to conclusions, I amn't saying for one second that these nature areas be rezoned for commercial purposes as I would also object strongly to that. What I am saying is that there will need to be a big change in other areas which aren't valued for their aestheticity. Examples of such areas include St. Begnets Villa's, parts of Bullock Harbour and Hillside. Collectively, these areas are large enough to accomodate developments which would facilitate enormous expansion of commercial activity within the Dalkey area whilst keeping the village and other pretty parts untouched.

As for the infrastructure to these new establishments. If a second level* were to be built on top of the railway line between Dalkey Avenue and Ardeevin Road, this would allow Dalkey Avenue and Cunningham Road to be turned into one way roads which would cater for north and southbound traffic respectively. For Barnhill road, a new road could be constructed behind the houses along the northern half of the road so that Barnhill Road would essentially be split into two one-way roads: Barnhill Road West and Barnhill Road East for outbound and inbound traffic respectively. From it's junction with Cunningham Road to it's junction with Rock Lodge, Dalkey Avenue/Killiney Hill Road could easily be widened as the this section of roadway isn't hemmed in by houses. In fact, there is a huge amount of space between the houses themselves and the road. From here, it would turn right off Killiney Hill Road where it would bisect Killiney Golf Club and merge with Churchview Road. If you look at Google Earth, you will see what I mean. As a result of the aforementioned measures, Dalkey would be certain to become a very busy hub.

*If you consider that the railway line in between the aforementioned roads is a half pipe, the idea which I am proposing would enclose the pipe. Also, if you consider the width of the air space above the railway, it is more than wide enough to accomodate four lanes of traffic, a fifth filter lane and the remaining width to carry pedestrian paths. Again, check out Google Earth if you don't believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Protectcoast

If you are in favour of protecting the beauty and echo-system in Killiney Bay and Dalkey Island and against the industrialisation of the bay then please sign the petition www.protectourcoast.net and you may also join the facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/protectdublindalkeykilliney.nooildrillspill2012
    Please also share with your friends , we need to get the word out.
    We only have until Feb 2nd to object!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Protectcoast, can you show exactly where in Killiney Bay the drilling and extraction will take place?

If you are in favour of protecting the beauty and echo-system in Killiney Bay and Dalkey Island and against the industrialisation of the bay then please sign the petition www.protectourcoast.net and you may also join the facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/protectdublindalkeykilliney.nooildrillspill2012
    Please also share with your friends , we need to get the word out.
    We only have until Feb 2nd to object!

Is there a petition for drilling anywhere I can sign?

Cookie, the link takes you to the petition.

www.protectourcoast.net

TabNabs, its 6km off the tip of land my sorento.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Foreshore/ApplicationsandDeterminations/ProvidenceResourcesPLC/ApplicationDetails/FileDownLoad,29105,en.pdf

the red lines box, is where there will be conducting the 2d/3d scans. this will use sonar which causes deafness in dolphins and can result in strandings.

the star i swell the well will be.

• Advertisement

Cookie, the link takes you to the petition.

www.protectourcoast.net

no that's the whiney anti drilling hippy nonsense one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The irony is as that pdf of the chart shows this is the latest test drill of a number. I've yet to hear of or see any standings of dolphins and whales as a result? Dublin Bay itself had a significant survey done by the new Survey Office vessel (based in DL) without mishap...

Of course, don't tell the protesters that this kind of thing has been going along nicely on the other side of the Irish Sea in a much larger capacity for a long time now.

map192a.gif

OCOCF00Z.jpg
    Morcambe Bay Field

BTW, saying that latest bore hole is in Killiney Bay is farcical.

why have you inserted a photo of a gas rig? It's oil they will be drilling for.

it also looks like the oil ones in the photo are a greater distance out. The lennox one is also unmanned.

cookie,

that petition is far from being the hippy one. Why would you want th edrillign to go ahead???

These three residents are reasosn why they shouldn't drill

Seismic Testing

Seismic testing is used to locate potential sites for offshore drilling in the oceans. These seismic tests involve creating decibel levels of 260, which is about double the decibel level created by an ambulance. Many forms of marine life have very sensitive hearing and are extremely affected by this decibel level. Whales and dolphins exposed to seismic testing have been known to suffer from disorientation, beaching and brain hemorrhaging.

more info: http://bikyamasr.com/34262/whales-dolphins-threatened-by-human-activity/

why have you inserted a photo of a gas rig? It's oil they will be drilling for.

it also looks like the oil ones in the photo are a greater distance out. The lennox one is also unmanned.

And seismic survey work for gas or oil is exactly the same, predominantly low frequency (10 - 300 Hz), high intensity (215-250 dB) sound pulses. But then you knew that...:rolleyes:

Instead of calling for guidelines and strict monitoring of the work, you are calling for a complete banning. What they are seeking to do is nothing new by any stretch of the imagination. http://www.environment.gov.au/epbc/publications/pubs/seismic-whales.pdf

BTW, why was it alright for all the previous seismic and borehole drilling as identified in your link to take place? It strikes me as NIMBYism.

The Moray Firth is one of the most important places on the U.K. coast for observing dolphins and whales. It is also home to the Beatrice Oil Field and soon to also accommodate the Beatrice Wind Farm Demonstrator Project, at a cost of €41 million. Proof indeed that sensitive areas and heavy engineering are not mutually exclusive.

The Beatrice Oil Field is 25Km off shore. There's 4 time further offshore than the proposed one in Killiney.

Of course i'm aware that the seismic scan is the same for bith gas and oil, i fail to see the relevance of you pointign this out. The other scans where further off shore, the dolphins are residence in the area this scan is planned.

i'm also aware that a oil leak will do much more damage than a gas leak.

Maybe it does sound like in NIMBYism, the fact is it is in my back yard and thats why it has come to my attention, I strongly oppose to any well within a 25km distance from the coast.

I'm also a surfer, kite surfer and swimmer so spend plenty of time in the water in both dublin bay and killiney bay and don't want to suffer any effects of this.

the Link you posted states in section 5.2
    "An action that will Kill,injure, take or interfere (among other things) with a whale or dolphin .... is an offence"

also as regards the moray firth being an iportant place for whales and dolphins, I'm sure you realise that they are found in the inner Moray Firth and that Oil and gas field is in the outer Moray Firth.

that petition is far from being the hippy one. Why would you want the drillign to go ahead???

oil = money, increased tax, lower dependence on imports, jobs, secondary and tertiary industries etc etc
    Why would you not want it to go ahead, due to completely minimal safety & environmental risks?
    Tabnabs wrote:
    by the new Survey Office vessel (based in DL) without mishap
    any pics, or know the name so I can google?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Examples of such areas include St. Begnets Villa's, parts of Bullock Harbour and Hillside. Collectively, these areas are large enough to accomodate developments which would facilitate enormous expansion of commercial activity within the Dalkey area whilst keeping the village and other pretty parts untouched.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick or are you suggesting that the 106 houses in St Begnet's Villas and the playing fields beside them could / should accomodate a commercial development. If I haven't got it wrong what would you be suggesting here ?

Cookie do you honestly think we'd see much of the money.

• Advertisement

Cookie do you honestly think we'd see much of the money.

who's we? The residents of Dalkey, yes from increased spending due to jobs and workers spending their money in towns local to the operations. The government, yes from licences, company taxes, employee taxes, fuel duties etc. The local economy, yes from increased port usage, increased related industry usage (cleaning, food, parts etc usage)

A rig or well does not exist in it's own little world where a big evil corporation just parks a ship beside it and steals all the oil from us you know. The benefits of oil and gas operations would be massive to the local area if there is indeed enough juice down there for it to be worthwhile.

Advertisement