Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sink hole in Germany

• 02-11-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Here is a link to some photos of a sinkhole that opened up in Germany Last night.

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-61130-3.html

I presume the weather had a lot to do with that forming. But since we get plenty of rain in ireland, is it possible that something like that could happen here?
    Or does the required Geology to cause it not exist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

It could happen in karstic/limestone areas but it would be more likely in areas where there is a history of mining. I'd guess that this is the case here too, but the hole appears to be a bit on the large side...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I'll be careful next time Im in the Burren so!
    Ive asked a few farmers that I know & they say that theyve seen sinkholes (usually less than 10ft in diameter.) in some of their fields in east Galway. But there are plenty or turloughs around here, so it must be a limestone area that has caused them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

There was one recently in Kilkenny at site of abandoned Galmoy mines: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/kilkenny-sinkhole-poses-no-danger-officials-say-1.1695095

If I was being pedantic though, I think this is more properly called a 'shake hole' - i.e. caused by a collapse of an underground void. I think a sink hole is generally where a stream reaches limestone or some other pervious rock and disappears into the ground i.e. the stream sinks into the sink hole. This as opposed to a spring or resurgence where water rises back to the surface etc.

Advertisement