Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gogo - A Logo Based Personal Start Page

• 31-08-2010 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

logo_plain.png

Everyone has their personal favorite start page for their browser. Some like iGoogle, some need a little more information. There have been several articles written on Make Tech Easier about different options. Reviews of 43Marks, iGoogle, myHomepage and a homepage battle have all graced the pages here. This will add another style homepage to the list.

www.gogo.ie is a more visual homepage. It works in a similar way as many of the others, but adds a little bit of flair. It looks pretty simple, but it has a lot of variety; over 25.000 different preset sites. The best part is, there is no account to sign up for.

To start out, go to http://gogo.ie you will see the standard start page. The page will have 120 different logos for popular sites. To go to the site, click on the logo. Pretty straight forward stuff.

about-1.gif

You will also see 26 other categories to the left. By choosing one of these categories, you will see logos that have to do with travel or career or dating.

kadaza-categories.png

makes your search on the internet easy and fast. The most popular search engines arranged together in one - easy to use - search box
    A refreshingly fast way to search online

about-3.gif

1998aa.gif

Firefox:
    1; Drag this link to the ‘Home’ symbol in your browser.
    2; Click OK.

Google chrome:
    1; Click the ‘Tools’ menu in your Browser.
    2; Select ‘Options’.
    3; In the ‘Home page’ section, select the ‘Open this page’ option.
    4; Enter http://www.gogo.ie/ in the text box next to this option.
    5; Click the ‘Close’ button.

Internet Explorer
    1: Click the ‘Tools’ menu in the browser.
    2: Select ‘Internet Options’.
    3: Click the ‘General’ tab.
    4: In the ‘Home page’ section, enter http://www.gogo.ie/ in the text box.
    5: Click ‘OK’.

With all of the homepages out there, the final decision comes from how it fits your needs and browsing habits. I have mentioned before how for the start page for Portable Firefox, I like something very light weight and not a lot of graphics so it loads fast. On my other browsers I tend to use iGoogle or something similar. Even if you have something that works for you, it doesn’t hurt to know what else is out there; it may work even better.

What needs do you have in your homepage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Are you asking for a review or marketing your site? I'm quite sure there will be an issue with that with the mods. However, if you are asking for a review, I'll just let you know that you've spelt sign wrong up on the top right corner where it says "Email Singn in".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Interesting idea...

Your logos are out of line in places - In the first box of logos, the last vertical line is more spaced from the others; in the second, the first vertical is seperated from the others (IE).

Spelling error highlighted above.

Your own logo is stolen from Google. Even the colours are the same (i.e. you just cut and paste the blue 'g' and moved the yellow 'o').

How does someone personalise their own homepage with logos of sites they actually visit - I can do this with Google and Yahoo?

How does a site get their image within a classification?

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

So this is Cúil rebranded/relaunched/reimagined.

I hope you've cleared the logo usage with Google though I doubt it as you would seem to be somewhat in competition and I can't imagine any decent brand manager allowing this sort of dilution.

I also hope you've adherred to the logo usage guidelines for each of the brands displayed, but I really doubt it seeing so many are resized and many are badly resized.

Spelling mistake - doh!

It's not a bad idea but already been done with some Google thing or another.

The search results pages open in new tabs, I don't like that.

Search buttons have no style.

I'll pass on this. My Bookmarks with the 'open in tabs' opens all the pages I want to see on my regular morning patrol, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

you also seem to have spelled adverts wrong as it is showing as adverbs.ie on the site.

again I would pass on this as I use fast dial to keep up to date on all sites I need to link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

wow how long is that site out ?

it rocks its perfect for me.

ever site I normally use.
    cuil wrote: »
    logo_plain.png

Everyone has their personal favorite start page for their browser. Some like iGoogle, some need a little more information. There have been several articles written on Make Tech Easier about different options. Reviews of 43Marks, iGoogle, myHomepage and a homepage battle have all graced the pages here. This will add another style homepage to the list.

www.gogo.ie is a more visual homepage. It works in a similar way as many of the others, but adds a little bit of flair. It looks pretty simple, but it has a lot of variety; over 25.000 different preset sites. The best part is, there is no account to sign up for.

To start out, go to http://gogo.ie you will see the standard start page. The page will have 120 different logos for popular sites. To go to the site, click on the logo. Pretty straight forward stuff.

about-1.gif

You will also see 26 other categories to the left. By choosing one of these categories, you will see logos that have to do with travel or career or dating.

kadaza-categories.png

makes your search on the internet easy and fast. The most popular search engines arranged together in one - easy to use - search box
    A refreshingly fast way to search online

about-3.gif

1998aa.gif

Firefox:
    1; Drag this link to the ‘Home’ symbol in your browser.
    2; Click OK.

Google chrome:
    1; Click the ‘Tools’ menu in your Browser.
    2; Select ‘Options’.
    3; In the ‘Home page’ section, select the ‘Open this page’ option.
    4; Enter http://www.gogo.ie/ in the text box next to this option.
    5; Click the ‘Close’ button.

Internet Explorer
    1: Click the ‘Tools’ menu in the browser.
    2: Select ‘Internet Options’.
    3: Click the ‘General’ tab.
    4: In the ‘Home page’ section, enter http://www.gogo.ie/ in the text box.
    5: Click ‘OK’.

With all of the homepages out there, the final decision comes from how it fits your needs and browsing habits. I have mentioned before how for the start page for Portable Firefox, I like something very light weight and not a lot of graphics so it loads fast. On my other browsers I tend to use iGoogle or something similar. Even if you have something that works for you, it doesn’t hurt to know what else is out there; it may work even better.

What needs do you have in your homepage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

I wonder how long it takes until you have a law suit flying into your house about using Google's logo as your own. Yes cutting out a few letters from the original is still abuse and copyright theft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

Some suggestions / things I noticed:
    • Make go go my homepage link doesn't do anything
    • The text of the button "videos" - wouldn't it be better if it said YouTube?
    • Email dropdown should have option for "other" and that should link off to http://www.mail2web.com/
    • Let users change the order of sites in that list / or even add their own most frequently used sites to the list?
    • "Make Gogo.ie my homepage" ... "Your IP address" - Use either my or your.
    • Your IP address is black font - doesn't look like it is a hyper link anywhere. Instead of the user having to go to a new page for the address, why not just display the ip address on bottom instead?
    • Some pages have 1; but others have 1: for numbered lists. Use either one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cuil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

And no responses to other queries?

Also, to add to my above - some of which I am genuinely curious about - when you click on a different category (IE), "video" becomes a 2nd line under the search bar and doesn't look as good as it could...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Pass for me too... far too much 'eye candy' and impersonating the Google logo is surely a bit naughty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The OP clearly isn't interested in discussing anything other than his domain name, so I'm closing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement