Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Souper Soup Thread [Merged]

• 01-11-2010 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Although I really enjoy cooking I've actually never attempted soups :o Can anyone recommend a recipe for a good hearty veggie soup that I could make in advance and bring to work?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Just standard veg soup, or something a little more exotic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Gently sweat 1 cm cubes of potato, celery and onion on a pan with a little oil and covered with greaseproof paper.
    Boil up 2 pints of water with 2 veg stock cubes. When sweated veg soften a little, add to boiling water and let it simmer until veg is soft. Liquidise.
    Meanwhile make parsley pesto by pulsing to a paste; roasted pine nuts and large bunch of parsley and garlic to taste.

Add a heaped teaspoon to the centre of the soup and enjoy!
    Takes a half hour, tops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lentil Soup
    3 carrots, diced
    2 sticks of celery, diced
    A large onion, diced
    A cup of red lentils, well rinsed
    A tomato, chopped
    A crushed clove of garlic
    2 chicken stock cubes
    1.5 litres of hot water
    Olive oil
    Salt and black pepper to season

Sautee the carrots, onions and celery in olive oil until they begin to soften. Add garlic, tomato, stock cubes and lentils and stir well. Add water, salt and black pepper and simmer for an hour. Blend until almost smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Butternut squash and coriander soup...

Get yourself the following

squash, peeled and deseeded
    chopped onions
    some garlic
    potatoes
    olive oil
    fresh and ground coriander
    some stock (hot)

In a pot gently heat the onions in the oil for a while, then add the garlic.
    Next add the spuds, squash, ground coriander and some of the stalks of the fresh coriander.
    Season that badboy with salt and pepper, cover for a few minutes and leave it simmer away. Give it the odd stir so nothing sticks or burns.
    Next, my friend, add your hot stock and bring to a boil.
    Leave it boil for a while till the squash and potatoe are tender.
    Then blend it.
    Roughly chop the rest of the fresh coriander and fire it in.
    When its cooled a little bit devour it.
    Thank me later.

You could add chilli if you wanted a bit of kick, or leek or carrot or whatever else is lying about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Plain old veg soup.

Roughly dice or coarsely grate equa amounts of carrot, celery and onion. mince a few cloves of garlic and sweat for a few minutes until starting to soften a little, now add chopped leeks, cubed spuds and turnip and sweat for another few mins. add chopped broccoli, top up with water until just barely covering the veggies. add a few stock cubes and simmer for anout 20-30 minutes. Take it off the heat and let it cool slightly, then blitz it.

Simple, no fuss and will taste like the bog standard veg soup you'd get at a normal hotel function type dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »
    Plain old veg soup.

Roughly dice or coarsely grate equa amounts of carrot, celery and onion. mince a few cloves of garlic and sweat for a few minutes until starting to soften a little, now add chopped leeks, cubed spuds and turnip and sweat for another few mins. add chopped broccoli, top up with water until just barely covering the veggies. add a few stock cubes and simmer for anout 20-30 minutes. Take it off the heat and let it cool slightly, then blitz it.

Simple, no fuss and will taste like the bog standard veg soup you'd get at a normal hotel function type dinner.

Use this formula to make any veg soup - just dominate the soup with your veg of choice but still use a little celery, leek, onion and potato.

This thread made me hungry so i had a look in the kitchen and came up with the following

spuds
    parsnip
    onions
    garlic
    peas
    groung cumin
    ground coriander
    ginger
    a chilli
    bay leaf
    kaffir leaf
    mushrooms
    knorr veg stock pot

I heated some olive oil in a sauce pan and added a bay leaf, chopped onions and chopped garlic. They were left to sweat for a while, then I added some of the ground spices. As soon as everything started colouring I added the diced potatoes and parsnip, stirring/tossing for a few mins. Next in was some peppercorns, frozen peas and the hot stock. After that i put a good thumb sized piece of ginger, a split a nd deseeded finger length chilli and a kaffir lime leaf. Those last three ingredients (and the bay leaf) were removed after about five or six minutes of simmering. I blended it then and stuck in the roughly chopped mushroomsa nd returned to a low heat for a couple more mins.
    Left it cool for a while, then had it with some soda bread .
    Delish

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

longshanks wrote: »
    In a pot gently heat the onions in the oil for a while, then add the garlic.
    Next add the spuds, squash, ground coriander and some of the stalks of the fresh coriander.
    Season that badboy with salt and pepper, cover for a few minutes and leave it simmer away. Give it the odd stir so nothing sticks or burns.
    Next, my friend, add your hot stock and bring to a boil.
    Leave it boil for a while till the squash and potatoe are tender.
    Then blend it.
    Roughly chop the rest of the fresh coriander and fire it in.
    When its cooled a little bit devour it.
    Thank me later.

I'm a big fan of butternut squash and coriander soup, especially in winter, although that goes for most soups, but i really think it makes a massive difference roasting the butternut first, and yeah i always add a chili. Have never added spuds bit might give it a go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I think the key to a good soup is a good stock.
    You should try making it yourself. Its very easy and is give better flavour than a cube and less salt.

Simmer onions, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, leeks, celery, bayleaves, thyme or any combination of the above in water for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and drain.
    Makes a fab basis for veg soups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Thanks so much everyone for the replies, am dying to try them all!! No more powdered soup for me :)

• Advertisement

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of butternut squash and coriander soup, especially in winter, although that goes for most soups, but i really think it makes a massive difference roasting the butternut first, and yeah i always add a chili. Have never added spuds bit might give it a go soon.

Thats the beauty of it, you can add or leave out what you want. I've often made it with roasted squash, or sometimes I add coconut milk, or lemongrass.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

longshanks wrote: »
    Thats the beauty of it, you can add or leave out what you want. I've often made it with roasted squash, or sometimes I add coconut milk, or lemongrass.

Of course, soups are massively versatile, don't know how i forgot coconut milk, i've never actually made it without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

I made a chicken noodle and veg homemade soup today - made a huge pot and it has been devoured - sister had 2 bowls at lunch and another bucket for her dinner.

4 carrots diced
    4 sticks of celery diced
    4 small potatoes diced
    2 large onions diced
    a few mushrooms diced

Sweated the above off in a bit of butter until veg was beginning to soften

Added 2 heaped tablespoons of flour and cooked off for 2 mins

Added about 3 litres of chicken stock made for boiled chicken a cheating stock cube and a smashed up packet of noodles - simmered this for about 30 mins

Served with shreded chicken in the bowls - I don't like adding shredded chicken to the soup cause I hate it when it goes stringy

Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peppa

Mushroom & Rosemary soup

225g of large flat mushrooms

2 cloves of garlic
    1 small onion
    6/8 rosemary fresh leaves
    Nutmeg (fresh best but I just use dried)
    1.5 or 2 pints of chicken stock
    ½ pint milk (optional as makes it less black looking)

Dice the onion and sauté in butter until soft.
    Add garlic for about 1 min.
    Tear / chop up the mushrooms and add the rosemary leaves.
    Leave on a low heat for about 10mins with lid on.
    Then add stock and nutmeg according to taste.
    Bring to the boil, turn down and simmer for about 10mins with lid on.
    Blitz and add cornflour to thicken.

Might not look the most appetising but tastes great!
    I think it’s the proper mushrooms and fresh rosemary and the nutmeg that makes this soup

Roast Tomato, Aubergine & Garlic Soup

1 x onion
    2 or 3 x celery stalks
    1 leek (discard green bit)
    2 - 3 Aubergines cut into chunks (just cut off the green end bit)
    6-8 plum tomatoes (or 1 tin and a just 2/3 tomatoes)
    1 bulb of garlic (leave all together skins and all and cut top off only - this will allow garlic be squeezed out at end)
    Fresh thyme if have (I used dried)
    2-3 pts of chicken stock

Put cubed Aubergines, tomatoes (halved at least), garlic and thyme in roasting tray and cover with glug of olive oil & season.
    Roast in mid/hot oven for 20/25 mins - make sure not to over roast the garlic.

Sweat diced onion, celery & white part of leek (i.e. dice small and sweat in a saucepan with a little oil - don't brown, just soften)
    After about 10 mins or when softened add stock and bring to boil (keep a bit back for roasting tin)

Add roasted Aubergine & tomatoes. Squeeze garlic from bulb into the soup I make sure to get all the taste from the tin by adding a little stock to the tin and scraping the bottom of the tin and then pouring into the soup

Simmer for 15 mins and liquidise

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

seems like a lot of garlic,still sounds like a tasty soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

blueshed wrote: »

roast garlic has a sweet, mild flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Peppa wrote: »
    Roast Tomato, Aubergine & Garlic Soup

Would you add the skin of the aubergines as well or scoop the flesh out when it's roasted? Recipe sounds great, might give it a go.

I see Butternut Squash soup has been mentioned. A fun thing to do is make roasted butternut and red pepper soup. The colour is amazing, bright orange! Sometimes I stir a few cooked black beans through it after blending it. Looks like sunspots on the sun :pac:

The best soup I made recently was Broccoli and Cauliflower. It went a bit like this:

1 onion, chopped
    1 medium potato, peeled and diced
    1 medium head of broccoli, chopped
    1 small head of cauliflower, chopped
    4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
    chilli flakes
    cumin
    black pepper
    olive oil
    vegetable stock

Fry the onion and the garlic with the cumin and chilli (to taste) for 2-3 minutes then add the chopped potato. Sweat for about five minutes then add the broccoli and cauliflower. Sweat for another ten minutes maybe then add about 1 litre of veg stock and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer until veg is tender. Adjust seasoning if necessary, liquidise and serve.

For stock, the Swedish 'Marigold' brand is good. I find the tubs of powder better than the cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

blueshed wrote: »

OP probably meant clove, I love garlic so maybe I'll try the whole bulb.

Good recipe OP - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Well, when you roast it it mellows the flavour so you could easily throw a whole bulb in the soup. I've done it before with a roast garlic tomato soup. It was lovely!

• Advertisement

Hi there

It's the entire bulb, but I adore garlic so you could prob scale it down according to your taste.

DonnieScribbles - yes I leave the skin on. Must try your Broccoli & Cauliflower soup, sounds delish :).

Another favourite of mine at this time of year, bit fiddley but well worth it.

Oxtail Soup

2 large onions
    5/6 stalks of celery
    3 large carrots
    White of 1 leek
    2 large tblsps of tomato puree (or 4 desertspoons is roughly same)
    Beef stock
    Oxtails (normally butcher just sells in a pack of 4 and I use them all)

Bouquet of garni i.e. bay leaf, parsley stalks & thyme ( just wrap all in a large bay leaf and skewer with cocktail stick and hope it stays together..)

1. Lightly flour and gently brown the oxtail in butter/oil and then remove
    2. In the same saucepan, sauté onion, celery, leek.
    3. Then add carrot and give them a good stir.
    4. Put back in the oxtail and add 1 beef stock cube and 2 pints water and the tomato puree. Add the bouquet of garni and simmer for about 1 hour.
    5. Remove oxtail gently and separate meat from bone. Chop the meat and leave aside.
    6. Remove bouquet garni from liquid and puree. Add back meat and adjust seasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Warronh

Veg clear soup
    Carrot
    Beans
    Onion
    Water
    Salt
    Pepper powder
    Ginger
    Cut the vegetables into small pieces, boil along with the water, salt and ginger pieces till they are soft. Later add Pepper powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Potato and Leek Soup
    Darina Allen recipe

So simple but can't think of a nicer soup. Also, it's very cheap to make.

350g chopped leeks
    110g onion
    450g diced potato (floury kind)
    850ml chicken/ veg stock
    50g butter
    cream/ full fat milk (optional)

Melt the butter in a large pot. Add onion, leek and potato and turn to coat in the butter. Season well and cover with a paper lid. Turn the heat to low and cover with the pot lid. Sweat for 10 mins.

Add your stock, bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft. Shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes.

Blend in a food mixer/ with a hand blender until smooth. Add milk/ cream to get desired consistency. Check for seasoning and serve with brown bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Anyone got a nice recipe for chicken mulligatawny soup that doesnt involve a lot of apple or celery? used to get one in tesco but havnt seen it for aaages.

I loved that soup too - where has it gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

i dont know but id love a bowl of it! so nice and tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I made the Potato & Leek Soup - yummy. How long will this keep for in the fridge.

Broccoli and Cauliflower.

Just ate a large bowl of this - yummy :D!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My two fav soups:

Carrot and coriander soup.

Chop and fry an onion.
    Chop up loads of carrots and throw in on top of onion.
    Add veg stock (just enough to cover carrots)
    Keep on heat until carrots have softened.
    Puree and put back in sauspan.
    Add milk and a good dash of cream until you get the consistency you want.
    Add chopped, fresh coriander.

Parsnip and apple soup.

Fry an onion.
    Chop and add two large parsnips.
    Add veg stock.
    When nearly done, throw in one large cooking apple. (Chopped)
    Salt and black pepper.
    Puree.
    Add milk and cream to the consistency you want.

I know cream is very bold, but it really gives soup a delicious taste.

Advertisement