Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electronic bus stop timetables

• 22-10-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi i seen an electronic bus stop time table today at donnycarney and was wondering where else they are in Dublin?

If you're wondering what im on about its like the luas ones that says when a luas is due and where its going except it did this for all the buses and it seemed very accurate to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Lots of poles up beside bus stations on the Howth Road in Raheny, although the screens aren't up yet.

Edit:

Screens at Donnycarney Church are working from today:

AX623%20-%20Rt128%20-%20DonnycarneyStop%20(NewRPTI-FirstDay)%20-%20221010.jpg

Donnycarney%20RPTI%20Screen%20-%20221010.jpg

Pics from http://www.dublinbusstuff.com/PhotoWeek/NewRPTI.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

will they be like the DART ones and take 5 mins to go from 10 to 7 but 2 mins to go from 7 to 1? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

I know it's many many years late but thank God! Finally it's happened. I can't believe it.

At least with Network Direct messing everything up people will at least know how long they're gonna be waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Noticed this today as well. The only one that seems to be full installed and working on the way into the city was the one at Donneycarney church but I did notice a similar pole further out on the Malahide Road at the UCI stop. There may have been others on this road but if there were I missed them.

The UCI stop is the one I use quite a bit so I'm quite happy if this is a test point. Nothing worse than arriving at a stop and wondering how long you might be waiting around for. Assuming that its installed I'll keep an eye on how accurate the timings are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

irishdub14 wrote: »
    AX623%20-%20Rt128%20-%20DonnycarneyStop%20(NewRPTI-FirstDay)%20-%20221010.jpg

28 at the stop but not on the display, why's that then. surely it should stay up until the bus departs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

28 at the stop but not on the display, why's that then. surely it should stay up until the bus departs?

I think that is the 128 bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Any word on when the ipad app is due or even the section on DB site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

This is only on trial now. 4 depots are operational with the AVLC system (Harristown, Clontarf, Summerhill and Ringsend). The initial rollout on street will be from these depots.

Phibsboro, Donnybrook and Conyngham Road are still to be done.

iphone apps etc will probably have to wait until all the depots are completed and the full online and mobile RTPI system rolled out next year.

Read the information that was posted on the link above in post # 2. It's just disappeared from the screen.

It's a 128.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

When will we see them in the city centre or will Dublin City Council have some problem with them as in they look like something that you would normally see in a city?

Great to see them in use now.

• Advertisement

There is one appearing in Lower Abbey Street at the 41 terminus I believe.

There are limited locations that it can be used in the city centre at the moment because Phibsboro, Donnybrook 1 & 2, and Conyngham Road have not yet been converted to AVLC operation. So you would end up with incomplete data.

For the moment it is being rolled out at stops that are served by garages that are kitted out.

Last I heard is that the AVLC rollout should be completed in early 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A 15 bus stop in Terenure has the pole mounting for this.

I cant wait till this is done. I dont think people realise how much of a massive difference this will make. Even if a bus is unreliable, at least you know how long you'll be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

As chance would happen I ended up at the Donneycarney bus stop yesterday waiting for a 128 so I had a chance to see it in action. The times come down to "1min" and then say "Due" as the bus in its final approach. This will be handy when you can't see far up the road.

It seemed to be fairly accurate although when I arrived it told me a 128 was due. Nearly a minute later this changed back to "2mins" and then counted down but it did predict the arrival accurately at that stage. I also did notice other times move upwards by a minute as they were recalculated. There was also a 20B which passed by but didn't have to stop. It was around 20 seconds before it disappeared off the list.

Clearly some more tweaking on time calculations is going to be required although given the unpredictable nature of Dublin's traffic there are probably always going to be inaccuracies. However I think its a great addition to the network and I can't wait to see more of them.

Jayuu wrote: »
    As chance would happen I ended up at the Donneycarney bus stop yesterday waiting for a 128 so I had a chance to see it in action. The times come down to "1min" and then say "Due" as the bus in its final approach. This will be handy when you can't see far up the road.

It seemed to be fairly accurate although when I arrived it told me a 128 was due. Nearly a minute later this changed back to "2mins" and then counted down but it did predict the arrival accurately at that stage. I also did notice other times move upwards by a minute as they were recalculated. There was also a 20B which passed by but didn't have to stop. It was around 20 seconds before it disappeared off the list.

Clearly some more tweaking on time calculations is going to be required although given the unpredictable nature of Dublin's traffic there are probably always going to be inaccuracies. However I think its a great addition to the network and I can't wait to see more of them.

I think that you would have to allow a margin of error of a minute or two to allow for the vagaries of traffic, traffic lights changing to red etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They look very similar to the ones we have in Berlin at the tram stops tbh. Good to see they are not putting them inside the bus shelter as they did with the 78A bus stops (they were all vandalised and could barely be read anyway). A decent height off the ground, but will they still be vandalised? Time will tell. People should have their hands chopped off for vandalising these things.

Better late than never but great to finally see this sort of stuff rolled out. Now to get DCC and the 3 other local authorities to cooperate and install proper bus priority measures and get Dublin moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm in minor disbelief that this has actually happened. I thought the photos were a photoshop at first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Very glad to see this being done. Hopefully this will encourage more bus use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The time prediction is probably based both on the speed and position of the bus, so if the bus suddenly gets caught at traffic lights (and stops) then the times would be upward adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course times will somethimes be adjusted upwards - otherwise it wouldn't be real time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Support post has appeared in Rathmines. There don't seem to have been any damage to LUAS information displays. Dublin Bikes have had little vandalism. Perhaps we should be optimistic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

BrianD wrote: »
    Support post has appeared in Rathmines. There don't seem to have been any damage to LUAS information displays. Dublin Bikes have had little vandalism. Perhaps we should be optimistic!

Agreed. There is no need to assume the worse of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I think this should make a massive improvement in services. Imagine you can be having your breakfast and can check the computer for when your bus is arriving. No longer will you need to worry about getting down there and wondering if you have missed your bus. The phone apps should be a great help also. For the relative cost of this compared to other big works I think this will be the best value for money infrastructure project in the country! It will certainly make me use buses a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I love them! Why didn't they have these when I was riding the bus? :(

murphaph wrote: »
    They look very similar to the ones we have in Berlin at the tram stops tbh. Good to see they are not putting them inside the bus shelter as they did with the 78A bus stops (they were all vandalised and could barely be read anyway). A decent height off the ground, but will they still be vandalised? Time will tell. People should have their hands chopped off for vandalising these things.

Better late than never but great to finally see this sort of stuff rolled out. Now to get DCC and the 3 other local authorities to cooperate and install proper bus priority measures and get Dublin moving!

They all ready are co-operating - all of the bus priority measures regardless of area are now managed from the QBN Office in Dublin City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

KC61 wrote: »
    They all ready are co-operating - all of the bus priority measures regardless of area are now managed from the QBN Office in Dublin City Council.
    So do 39 buses now travel freely along Manor Street? (ie, have DCC removed their pay parking and installed bus lanes to allow buses from Fingal to access the city centre in a reasonable time?)

murphaph wrote: »
    So do 39 buses now travel freely along Manor Street? (ie, have DCC removed their pay parking and installed bus lanes to allow buses from Fingal to access the city centre in a reasonable time?)

I would say that the 39 is also a bus from Dublin 7 - a DCC area so everyone is losing out.

The point I am making is that one single office based in DCC now has responsibility for all bus priority measures. Each council does not do their own off their own bat any more. It is co-ordinated in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I saw a shiny new pole going up at the stop outside the Swan Centre, Rathmines. Thought it would be the stop pole things that they have on O Connel street, the fancy ones. I guess they're being rolled out on all the major QBCs?

donvito99 wrote: »
    I saw a shiny new pole going up at the stop outside the Swan Centre, Rathmines. Thought it would be the stop pole things that they have on O Connel street, the fancy ones. I guess they're being rolled out on all the major QBCs?

As I posted in the Dublin Bus Network Review thread in C & T
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68726750&postcount=1483
    At the moment Clontarf, Ringsend, Harristown and Summerhill depots are completed in terms of fitting out with the new control system (AVLC), which in turn facilitates the rollout of RTPI.

Donnybrook 1 and 2, Phibsboro and Conyngham Road are next to be done. These are targeted I understand to be completed by early 2011.

The intial rollout will be on corridors served by the four depots already completed, so I would imagine that the Howth Road, Malahide Road, Swords Road, Finglas Road, Rathfarnham QBC, Rathmines/Templeogue QBC, and Greenhills/Tallaght will probably the first to be kitted out. These are fully operated by those depots.

The rest will follow once the other depots are AVLC operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Really glad to finally see these!! I hope the system is a huge success.

Not a major criticism but I hope those stainless steel support poles aren't supposed to be "self-cleaning" like the spire which costs a fortune to clean/polish. Stainless steel support poles for traffic lights/sign post in the City Centre are a lot nicer than the standard metal poles you see everywhere but they do get shabby looking after a while if they're not maintained. In my opinion, poles which are painted black are nicer looking than stainless steel. They're easier to maintain also; a lick of paint every few years does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭serfboard

Echo all the other posts that welcome this development. I too think its fantastic, and should be followed up with smartphone apps as well.

Any chance we could have this in the rest of our cities as well?
    For the relative cost of this compared to other big works I think this will be the best value for money infrastructure project in the country!

Agree 100%.

Advertisement