Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Not sure about the lounge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The lounge is part of Rubys. Won't be open as far as I know, but will be part of the work in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

you are so mistaken or confused

You are wrong again. How wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is it reopening as it was, or is there going to be a facelift?

Just going to be a bit of a face life, nothing major

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Any news on a change of direction or anything for them? In that are they going to go after the "young
    crowd"

I'm not fussed about upstairs at all but Apart from the cattle Market like feel of ruby lounge when it's full I have usually had a good night in there when there is a decent band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    Any news on a change of direction or anything for them? In that are they going to go after the "young
    crowd"

I'm not fussed about upstairs at all but Apart from the cattle Market like feel of ruby lounge when it's full I have usually had a good night in there when there is a decent band.

Yeah if they were willing to level it out and open it up, I'd be happy with that. It'll be interesting to see anyway.

As far as im aware its just the Woodman, and it will be be open in the next few weeks, The lounge I am not sure about, If they are doing a big job with ruby’s, I’m sure they would need planning permission so that would take months to sort, and a smoking area would have to be sorted.

As most of us know the busiest nights at the moment are a Wednesday with the students and Saturday nights, The rest of the week is very quiet, Masons have bands, I think Revolution as well, and the Kazbar, then to add the Woodman if they go with bands, There isn’t enough people out during the week to fill all the venues, I personally think anyone opening another club in Waterford needs their head checked. Or has serious money to piss down the drain.

As far as im aware its just the Woodman, and it will be be open in the next few weeks, The lounge I am not sure about, If they are doing a big job with ruby’s, I’m sure they would need planning permission so that would take months to sort, and a smoking area would have to be sorted.

As most of us know the busiest nights at the moment are a Wednesday with the students and Saturday nights, The rest of the week is very quiet, Masons have bands, I think Revolution as well, and the Kazbar, then to add the Woodman if they go with bands, There isn’t enough people out during the week to fill all the venues, I personally think anyone opening another club in Waterford needs their head checked. Or has serious money to piss down the drain.

In a way you're right. But let's look at what the venues are doing.

Escape - Midweek night club, lovely looking place and they've embraced the students and the 18 year olds and also under age with the teen discos.

Revolution - The hens and the house nights at the back. Live music at the front. I'm not sure the place knows what it is anymore and I'm also not sure anyone else in the town knows what it is either. Flash knows what he's doing so so I'll trust his judgement.

Masons - The mcsorleys from kerry are up and they're all about students and bands. Bands 7 nights a week. Club upstairs. All about students and all about the 18 year olds.

I could be wrong, but I think there's a gap here for a bar that will have a music policy that doesnt involve rap, hip hop or dance - at least not too much of it. Live music at a decent level where people can appreciate good musicians (im thinking 2-3 pieces) while also be able to have a good conversation and a nice drink. Drink prices will be pub prices, never over €5 but also not €3. Friendly staff...

I think that's a place that most of the people who i see post on this forum would appreciate. I think it's a place that half the people in harveys and geoffs would appreciate.

Don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

In a way you're right. But let's look at what the venues are doing.

Escape - Midweek night club, lovely looking place and they've embraced the students and the 18 year olds and also under age with the teen discos.

Revolution - The hens and the house nights at the back. Live music at the front. I'm not sure the place knows what it is anymore and I'm also not sure anyone else in the town knows what it is either. Flash knows what he's doing so so I'll trust his judgement.

Masons - The mcsorleys from kerry are up and they're all about students and bands. Bands 7 nights a week. Club upstairs. All about students and all about the 18 year olds.

I could be wrong, but I think there's a gap here for a bar that will have a music policy that doesnt involve rap, hip hop or dance - at least not too much of it. Live music at a decent level where people can appreciate good musicians (im thinking 2-3 pieces) while also be able to have a good conversation and a nice drink. Drink prices will be pub prices, never over €5 but also not €3. Friendly staff...

I think that's a place that most of the people who i see post on this forum would appreciate. I think it's a place that half the people in harveys and geoffs would appreciate.

Don't you?

YES!

• Advertisement

YES!!!!!

Open it up and I'll frequent there!

I think some people's view of what students want is not entirely correct either and that something like this would appeal to a lot of them. When I was in college in Limerick you had the type of places we currently have which are attracting loads of students but you also had a few alternative spots which were also very popular but with a different type of student. Obviously the fear of opening a venue like you've suggested is that it'd do ok Friday and Saturday night but be dead all week. If done right, it wouldn't have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

nkay1985 wrote: »
    YES!!!!!

I think some people's view of what students want is not entirely correct either and that something like this would appeal to a lot of them. When I was in college in Limerick you had the type of places we currently have which are attracting loads of students but you also had a few alternative spots which were also very popular but with a different type of student. Obviously the fear of opening a venue like you've suggested is that it'd do ok Friday and Saturday night but be dead all week. If done right, it wouldn't have to be.

Exactly, as a student myself, this is the type of place that i would love.

The woodman used to attract a lot of the older type of students who wanted to chat and just have a few drinks. I remember they used to hate being labelled as students. And they spent money (and never caused trouble)

I don’t think it would work being honest, Harvey’s tried the over 21 thing and also Langton’s in Kilkenny, didn’t last 5 minutes, the reason why, the older crowd are not going out, and this can be seen big time in Waterford, maybe as someone said on a sat night, It might work.

But didn’t they try an over 21's club in Ruby’s for a while?

You're getting too hung up on the title "over 21s". What I've learned is that people will come out if you give them a reason to.

Yes a venue could be hammered midweek with students but

1. they're spending fcuk all and
    2. Where can the non students go? Must they go to ballybricken or somewhere for some peace and quiet?

The fact is waterford is suffering and a lot of pubs think that throwing €3 drinks at people is the answer. I don't think it is. Increasing the quality of the overall product and keeping to a plan is the answer. Take a look at the places in waterford that have worked in the past.

Geoffs - Doesn't go mad on anything. You know what you're getting in there and most people like it.
    Rubys - Kept it conisistant and for a while there was constantly hammered.
    Flashes - Great food, great customer service...offered something for everyone day and night.

there's a few more too obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

2. Where can the non students go? Must they go to ballybricken or somewhere for some peace and quiet?

Do you like the Gingerman? Or try McLoughlins on O Connell St? In fairness I think there are plenty of quite places, they just aren't particularly trendy or have pretty ladies there :(

Sorry..I meant in the centre of town.

Gingerman is a great little bar but they could be doing more I think.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

YES!!!!!

Believe you me, I know abouttobebanned a very long time and he has been raving on about something different for this city for ages, I can tell you, if he had the financial backing, he would be on to this a long time ago. He's sick of trying to sell his ideas to many of the household names in the pub trade over the years, but these people some of whom are no longer in the business are very slow to embrace change.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Yeah if they were willing to level it out and open it up, I'd be happy with that. It'll be interesting to see anyway.

Anyone I talk to about Rubys lounge says the same thing, just remove the upper seating area!! Probably leave a raised stage so the drunken muppets aren't falling on top of the band like I've seen many times. It would make it a much more comfortable place without everyone getting crammed into the bar area and then getting pushed all over the place as people try to get to the bar or toilets.

rayc wrote: »
    Anyone I talk to about Rubys lounge says the same thing, just remove the upper seating area!! Probably leave a raised stage so the drunken muppets aren't falling on top of the band like I've seen many times. It would make it a much more comfortable place without everyone getting crammed into the bar area and then getting pushed all over the place as people try to get to the bar or toilets.

Yeah it's so simple that the dogs on the street know it. Obviously someone made a real balls of designing it in the first place and Mr. T never bothered to change it because, as there was basically no choice, people went there. Hopefully the new owners are willing to make this change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kryogen wrote: »
    Good i miss the Woodman, not rubys so much

John O'Driscoll is that you??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Kavs going renovating Harvey’s, fair play to them, still have confidence in waterford’s night life
    http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=mhmhgbmhgb&cat=news

Sounds like when they renovated Merlins to Oxygen and we all know what happend there:)

Would put a lot of that down to bad advice from the GM who was not from the area, and who at the time who had visions of grandeur of himself and unfortunatly they went with his advice for the dublin scene where you could have your vip rooms and all that crap that went with it, don’t know who is in charge of harvey’s now but maybe they might just do it right this time, they seem to have harveys and mantra going fairly good, but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Santan wrote: »
    Would put a lot of that down to bad advice from the GM who was not from the area, and who at the time who had visions of grandeur of himself and unfortunatly they went with his advice for the dublin scene where you could have your vip rooms and all that crap that went with it, don’t know who is in charge of harvey’s now but maybe they might just do it right this time, they seem to have harveys and mantra going fairly good, but who knows

I think we all know who had visions of grandeur of themselves when Oxygen was designed.

And from reading that article we could still have grandeur, Think it was a New york style club for Oxygen, we are off to Las Vegas now ha ha so we could have 3 new clubs/disco bars in the town maybe 4, All they need now are the bodys to fill them:)

Adyx wrote: »
    I think we all know who had visions of grandeur of themselves when Oxygen was designed.

now now :D

Seems very ambitious but I hope it works out. If it was done right, it could well be something that attracts people to the city and that can only be a good thing. Wonder what the timeline on it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Santan wrote: »
    Kavs going renovating Harvey’s, fair play to them, still have confidence in waterford’s night life
    http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=mhmhgbmhgb&cat=news

Will be a tenner in so when that opens.

Is mahers on O O'Connell St still open??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Rule of thumb with the kray twins,treat 85% of what they say as lies and you won't go far wrong,Oxygen by the way and i quote "nearly broke us".The G.M. at the time and his brother were non drinker's,non smoker's and staunch republician's from belfast and in my opinion had a hidden agenda,but what do i know.

Advertisement