Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 willie.c

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get a letter from the United States Bankruptcy Court just got it now this morning. Didnt get a chance to look through it yet.
    Yes I got one today but cant understand all the law jargon. If anybody can explain it please do so. I've already posted all my details and claim form about a month ago. Do I have to do it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I also got a letter today but its very hard to understand,Does this mean I am owed money?or that I owe money?.Anyone know how I proceed from here...who the hell are Happy duck and did anybody manage to get a phone number for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1800victim

The deadline for applications to the bankruptcy court was the 27th of Sept. You could always try fill out the form and send it anyway on the off chance that they'd accept it. I also payed by lazer and lost almost 1700 Euro. I doubt there's any chance of getting it back but nothing to lose by putting in the form anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Happy Duck is the registered name for 1800 hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭joeysoap

At this stage I think we can summerise the situation as follows. Those who paid by credit card and have already received a refund (or are in the process of receiving same) and those who paid by laser and are now in a confusing and legal minefield which appears is going to be decided by American law. I am lucky to be in the former and never received (and thus never forwarded) those claim forms. Unfortunately for the latter group no one appears to know quite how to proceed from here and perhaps the forum should now be split into two(or a new sub forum formed so those posters can communicate with each other on how they are progressing).Snowballs I assume you are not serious about persuing a claim when you have already received a refund. Leave whatever is in the kitty to those still out of pocket and bin the forms.

• Advertisement

I received the same letter. Basically it states that the case has now been filed under the Chapter 7 bankruptcy (it was previously under Chapter 11). If you have already filed a claim then you dont have to file another one. If you havent yet filed a claim, you now can and have until February to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 squiggy133

I filled in this form ages ago but havent heard anything back. Has anyone heard anything from them since filling the form? i lost 1500 euros:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 caled

i filled in form ages ago sent it, i got postcard with proof of claims confirmation and assigned number. also i get updates from courts with details of dates of next hearings and details of previous hearings. you should send emails to any adress you have to see if they got your claim the latest deadline for claims is 07/02/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eppie25

I am the same, we have submitted two claims (value of 1500) and like previous members we got back postcards and more forms. Interestingly a friend who works in the area of law, was reading them and she informed me (as i had no idea what all the legal jargon was) that Happy Duck, have changed case from Chapter 11 (bankruptcy) to Chapter 7, in this case Happy Duck apparently are not so libel anymore, and there are alot of exemptions in place they can use.

I read up on the switch from Chaper 11 to Chapter 7. It means that the company is no longer trying to save itself and is now in liquidation. They've to sell off any assets and pay secured creditors first (banks etc). After that come the unsecured creditors (us) and they generally get nothing. In short, we can all pretty much kiss our hard earned cash goodbye. Lesson learned, never book anything with lazer. The owner of that company has a lot to answer for the greedy f*cker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Anyone else get a letter this morning couldnt really understand it but i think it meant were not gettin money.

Is their a new thread about this, got a new letter today not quite sure what it means, has anybody else been recieivng letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MBIreland

Both myself and my fiancé have received letters from the bankruptcy court in Florida, inviting us to attend if we wanted! I guess it is a case of wait and see what happens next.

As another update, multitrip.com finally paid up the other half of my claim after I threatened them with the ombudsman, they have now decided to pay only half of my fiancé's claim so we are going through the same complaints procedure again. I will be ringing them over the next few days to tell them to either pay up or this will be placed in the press in a number of different means. In the meantime, if you are buying travel insurance, please use a reputable company who work under the rules and regulation of the Irish Regulator as Multritrip.com are hiding beneath the UK regulator, something I may try to change this year.

Finally has anyone heard anything about the bloke behind the 1800hotels disaster, Graham somebody I believe? I hope he gets what he deserves for causing so many people so many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Solemar

MBIreland wrote: »

Finally has anyone heard anything about the bloke behind the 1800hotels disaster, Graham somebody I believe? I hope he gets what he deserves for causing so many people so many problems.

The blokes name is Graham Peakin and wife Jackie Peakin .Last heard from them was that they left Tampa and moved into New York..... :mad:

I was rather hoping you were going to say he was currently serving time somewhere!

As another update, multitrip.com finally paid up the other half of my claim after I threatened them with the ombudsman, *****if you are buying travel insurance, please use a reputable company who work under the rules and regulation of the Irish Regulator as Multritrip.com are hiding beneath the UK regulator, something I may try to change this year.

my experience of an irish insurance company (blue). booked flights for city weekend break. booked hotel through bookings.com (that was lucky as I don't always use them). better half had small accident and couldn't travel (broken limb). rang insurance company stupidly thinking that was what insurance was for. wrong. wrong. wrong.

1. the excess was €95 each.
    2. they would only refund the flights - not the charges or cc charges thus the €95 excess was greater than the flights.
    3. advised me to contact the hotel and see if they would cancel - which the hotel did - no problem to be fair.
    4. I was now out of pocket for flights and taxes and cc charges - total around €220icon8.gif

I didn't renew the policy and decided never to take out travel insurance again. I appreciate that everyone's case is different but as far as I am concerned airlines are responsible for flight cancellations etc. health insurance policy in EU is covered by 111 card and also health insurers ususally have some cover for abroad. (admittedly the air ambulance is a different story.) if I was travelling outside europe I might reconsider but if you are from Dublin would you take out travel insurance to go to Galway? that's they way I look at the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Joeysoap -- if you booked through Aer Lingus ( for a €20 admin. charge per flight, per person) you will get a refund of taxes. Ryanair will also refund taxes, if you did not travel.

thanks for reply. happened in 2009. it was Aer Lingus and it was €35 per person per leg to change flights but still worked out ok as I went to the Algarve for a week in May 2010. no thanks to the insurance company though.

Any updates as to the bankruptcy hearings in the states?

Any updates as to the bankruptcy hearings in the states?

Got a letter this morning not certain but pretty sure it said my refund request has been denied, so no money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I got a letter too, saying my application was denied. I presume also, this means I don't get any money.

Does anyone know what are our chances? I'm that annoyed about it I was thinking of contacting a solicitor. I know it might not be worth it, but I'm not happy with how 1800 hotels is allowed get away with this. I had a look at that website, and they seem to be back trading again. However, I presume they have been bought out by another company.

It's our hard-earned money!

I see some of you got refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Roseyland

I got a letter too, saying my application was denied. I presume also, this means I don't get any money.

Does anyone know what are our chances? I'm that annoyed about it I was thinking of contacting a solicitor. I know it might not be worth it, but I'm not happy with how 1800 hotels is allowed get away with this. I had a look at that website, and they seem to be back trading again. However, I presume they have been bought out by another company.

It's our hard-earned money!

I see some of you got refunded?

No letter for me yet, 800 euro down the drain, can't find anything on the bankruptcy proceedings online. Anyone got any idea what is happening? Is it a good thing that I have yet to receive a letter?

Solemar wrote: »
    The blokes name is Graham Peakin and wife Jackie Peakin .Last heard from them was that they left Tampa and moved into New York..... :mad:
    just searching for hotels and see that 1800 hotels.ie is back in bussiness at a new adress in lower abbey street in dublin. still offering cheap holidays.
    how can this be if they went bankrupt owing us all money.
    anybody else know any details

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ash_18x

caled wrote: »
    just searching for hotels and see that 1800 hotels.ie is back in bussiness at a new adress in lower abbey street in dublin. still offering cheap holidays.
    how can this be if they went bankrupt owing us all money.
    anybody else know any details

its disgraceful they are back trading, we lost over €1600 euro, havent heard a thing from the bankruptcy court yet.......they should not be left trade again.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

they should not be left trade again

They're not. It's a different company. They've just bought the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ash_18x

BuffyBot wrote: »

why would you honestly want to buy the name.....
    I for one will never go near anyone with that name again!

i would be the same i think from now on i will book the hotel direct

BuffyBot wrote: »

the mind boggles! who in their right mind would purchase this name? if this company succeeds it won't be because of the bright spark who came up with this brainwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 xsre4u2

Club Travel have purchased the name. They did the same when Budget Holidays went bust. At least it's a much more reputable company.

• Advertisement

I wish them luck using that site, I don't think anyone who knows the history of that name will go near it, reputable or not!

Still very annoyed that Mr Peakin is not being prosecuted at this stage. His company were still taking money from people after it became apparent that they had gone bust. In my book that is fraud and somebody should be made accountable.

Advertisement