Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you get permanently injured in your first two years you're let go with no support?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Listening to this morning's Stephen Nolan show and have to say I'm pretty shocked by what I just heard.

If you get injured in your first two years of service to the extent you can't perform as an officer anymore you are dismissed without compensation.

Now maybe this is normal in police forces around the world but I would have thought that the PSNI would have different procedures due to the militant republican campaign. I mean like so called 'danger money' Gardai got in border regions.

Is this made clear before you sign up? I really can't believe this is the situation considering the risks you have to take.

Maybe there's some other details I'm unaware of?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007cpsh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Shocking to learn that if that is indeed the case. Below item from today's RTE website.

NI to overhaul PSNI compensation system

Thursday, 7 October 2010 13:54
    Northern Ireland Justice Minister David Ford has said the system for compensating police officers injured on duty is set for a major overhaul.
    Mr Ford has published the final report on the review of police injury pensions commissioned in May after concerns over how some former officers had been treated.
    The review team was jointly chaired by the Northern Ireland Department of Justice and the Northern Ireland Policing Board.
    Advertisement

The report promises a raft of reforms including a pledge to backdate successful appeals on awards made to officers.
    Mr Ford said the findings are an excellent example of the difference devolution can make to the people of Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

I mean like so called 'danger money' Gardai got in border regions

No such thing as 'danger money' In An Garda Siochana it all depends on service so the guard manning a checkpoint in dundalk with 3 years service is earning the same wage as a guard with same service in listowel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

talla10 wrote: »
    No such thing as 'danger money' In An Garda Siochana it all depends on service so the guard manning a checkpoint in dundalk with 3 years service is earning the same wage as a guard with same service in listowel

Was there not some extra payment they got in the past? Maybe it was actually the border regions on the other side but you get my point, as there's extra risk the rules should be exceptional.

Though to be honest I am still surprised it is normal in any police force

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Unfortunately this is true. If you are injured and you can't do the job anymore, you get booted. They obviously won't and don't accept liability so you would have to commence legal proceedings against the Chief Con for special damages, loss of future earnings, loss of earnings potential etc...
    Listening to this morning's Stephen Nolan show and have to say I'm pretty shocked by what I just heard.

If you get injured in your first two years of service to the extent you can't perform as an officer anymore you are dismissed without compensation.

Now maybe this is normal in police forces around the world but I would have thought that the PSNI would have different procedures due to the militant republican campaign. I mean like so called 'danger money' Gardai got in border regions.

Is this made clear before you sign up? I really can't believe this is the situation considering the risks you have to take.

Maybe there's some other details I'm unaware of?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007cpsh

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I can see the rational behind it and I can see how in 99% of cases it is NOT fair.

However there will always be people trying to exploit this in some way. Think of the people who declare themselves as unable to work in normal day to day life. The incentive of a good wage and possible large payoit maybe means that others may try to cheat the system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

I found this posted on the bbc website today. probationer officer was hurt with six months to go for the end of her probationary period and was booted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11568103

Very interesting Kitchensink and thanks for posting that link.

A sad case but doubtless happens in all Police Forces , what I would be appalled at is if she was booted without compensation . In this case the injured officer received a derisory 3 months pay but it should be noted that she does have a separate civil action for damages pending - good luck to her !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Disgraceful. In the line of duty and all. She deserves AND will get a lot more than 3 months' pay if there's any justice in the world.

Perhaps the new compensation scheme announced by David Ford will address these very obvious shortcomings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Worth a bump. I assume nothing has changed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Homer01 wrote: »
    Worth a bump. I assume nothing has changed here.

Bit shocking if that's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

As someone else said further up I can understand the rationale but seems harsh. Especially if the circumstances were beyond your control.

How many candidates are aware prior to applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Homer01 wrote: »
    As someone else said further up I can understand the rationale but seems harsh. Especially if the circumstances were beyond your control.

How many candidates are aware prior to applying?

Yeah exactly. I don't think many would have been, I wasn't anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Discharge is entirely dependant on circumstances and professional opinions of whether you are able to continue in an operational role. I've seen people break bones whilst in Garnerville and they're still out on the ground today... Dont be panicking about picking up injuries, it happens, it will delay your probation, but its not necessarily the end of your career!

Advertisement