Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legal age: matches / lighters

• 09-10-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi, this has probably been asked a hundred times already, but I couldn't find it using the search function! Apologies if it's a common question :)

I just want to know the legal age you must be to purchase a box of matches? I would also be curious of lighters and cigarette papers?

I presumed that you must be able to buy cigarettes before you could buy matches lighters, papers etc. I just wanted to make sure, because I refused to sell matches to someone who wasn't old enough to smoke... but they just went to another store, bought them, and then came back to prove it wasn't illegal!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think there is a legal age limit for buying matches or lighters, only tobacco. Probably doesn't apply to rollie papers either.

You do have the right to refuse to sell these to anyone though, it's up to you as a retailer. Just because it wouldn't be illegal to sell them to minors, doesn't mean you have to sell to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cabal

Cheers! I'll check with the shop owner when I see him tomorrow to see what he wants. I really felt like selling a non-adult anything you could start a fire with would be irresponsible.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

According the the Office of Tobacco Control, papers, filters and tubes are also classed as "tobacco products." I don't know if this means they are illegal to sell to under 18's (but I assume they are), but it is illegal to display or advertise them just like cigarettes, even though they themselves don't contain tobacco. I don't see anything about the sale of matches and lighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cabal

Cheers Kahless! I was pretty sure papers were counted as tobacco products, but matches / lighters - I'm a bit surprised they seem to be unregulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

dont know if there is any legislation on the sale of lighters/ matches. I presume each store will have its only policy regarding the sale of such items. In most large retail stores i believe theres a policy that the customer must be 18 and have ID to prove it.
    A bit of common sense on the part of the person behind the counter should be enough....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

I was refused matches once when I was in my school uniform, I had been sent over by teacher to buy them, can't remember what for though! I also used to work in a shop that sold cigarettes and we were obviously told not to serve under 18's but we were never told to refuse lighters/matches/papers.

Advertisement