Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

its not enjoyable to go out anymore other than late saturday night its just empty pubs or in my experience its pubs that have a large share of scum in them and i just dont want to be out spending hard earned money to sit in a pub with if lucky another 8 - 10 people or in a pub where im having to be looking over my shoulder cos somebody i might have refused or barred wants to throw their weight around when they have 5 of their mates to back them up

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Santan wrote: »
    its not enjoyable to go out anymore other than late saturday night its just empty pubs or in my experience its pubs that have a large share of scum in them and i just dont want to be out spending hard earned money to sit in a pub with if lucky another 8 - 10 people or in a pub where im having to be looking over my shoulder cos somebody i might have refused or barred wants to throw their weight around when they have 5 of their mates to back them up
    Like you had the night you barred/refused them.It's a long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If theyre the kinda person who'll throw their weight around with 5 friends as backup he was right to bar/throw them out of somewhere initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

never said i had anybody else to stand with me whenever i had to bar or refuse somebody and unfortunatly have had to take a few knocks over the years when getting rid of some people on my own, but sometimes they do need to be stood up to if nothing to show these scum that they dont own the town and some of the pubs they like to think they do, and these are the same people who when i meet them in the center of the town on their own they dont come near me or say anything, but give them 2 or 3 of their scummy mates and its a different story often had **** roared at me from 1 side of the road to the other and these are the people who are causing a lot of the hassle in estates in waterford, so if i had doormen there to help me would you have an issue with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Has anyone been to that new place in Revolution on a friday night? Whats it like if ya have, is it worth the fiver in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Was in waterford on thursday and Friday(From Kildare).Group of us and we couldnt believe how many empty bars/clubs etc there was

Electric Avenue we loved last year.

On friday we went to Revolution/Escape.Place had a decent crowd,good cocktails,decent band and a half decent crowd in the niteclub.
    I'll be honest though i have never seen as many punters obviously off their faces as i did IN there.One dude's face was literally twitching every 30 seconds or so.

Waterford was always a really good city that a group of us went to and the Hotel again was jammed but the lack of decent spots is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

raven136 wrote: »
    Was in waterford on thursday and Friday(From Kildare).Group of us and we couldnt believe how many empty bars/clubs etc there was

Electric Avenue we loved last year.

Waterford was always a really good city that a group of us went to and the Hotel again was jammed but the lack of decent spots is annoying

Thanks for the kind words about Electric Avenue. I miss it myself, had to hand it back to the banks when Landlord went under earlier this year.

If you are looking for a recommendation for the next time you are down, come up to us at The Forum, where I now work as in-house band booker.
    As Mitchkoobski and Beeker above said, we have loads of good bands coming up at Traffik (for a fiver b4 12) and we also have a very cool seperate Lounge space, with mad cover bands like Smash Hits, Gaga4Pink and Pump Up The Jam playing on a Saturday, and loads of original artist gigs upcoming like Damien Dempsey, Mick Flannery, Ocean Colour Scene (unplugged), Jerry Fish, Neville Staple Band, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

do they still have the old dodgy knuckleheads working the door there or did they upgrade that area too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

On that note Mick, thanks for bringing God is an Astronaut back. And So I Watch You From Afar wouldn't go astray either :). Seeing both of those play in EA were two of the best gigs I've seen in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

AdMMM wrote: »
    On that note Mick, thanks for bringing God is an Astronaut back. And So I Watch You From Afar wouldn't go astray either :). Seeing both of those play in EA were two of the best gigs I've seen in my life!

Cheers. And So I Watch You From Afar are definitely coming to The Forum in the first part of 2011. Just waitin for release of second album.

• Advertisement

Santan wrote: »
    never said i had anybody else to stand with me whenever i had to bar or refuse somebody and unfortunatly have had to take a few knocks over the years when getting rid of some people on my own, but sometimes they do need to be stood up to if nothing to show these scum that they dont own the town and some of the pubs they like to think they do, and these are the same people who when i meet them in the center of the town on their own they dont come near me or say anything, but give them 2 or 3 of their scummy mates and its a different story often had **** roared at me from 1 side of the road to the other and these are the people who are causing a lot of the hassle in estates in waterford, so if i had doormen there to help me would you have an issue with that
    I have a issue with unlicensed,untrained,below average intelligence,gum chewing,steroid enhanced hired muscle throwing their weight around,i.e. bouncer's.Your post above gave the impression you were one.That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I have a issue with unlicensed,untrained,below average intelligence,gum chewing,steroid enhanced hired muscle throwing their weight around,i.e. bouncer's.Your post above gave the impression you were one.That's all.

So you just have a chip on your shoulder? 99.9% of people who are refused or thrown out deserve it in my experience (from both sides of the bar). And you'd be hard pressed to find a bouncer in Waterford who isn't trained and licensed.

Just like the rest of your posts in this thread you're posting crap about things you obviously know nothing about - even if at one stage long ago you were "involved in the industry".

Adyx wrote: »
    So you just have a chip on your shoulder? 99.9% of people who are refused or thrown out deserve it in my experience (from both sides of the bar). And you'd be hard pressed to find a bouncer in Waterford who isn't trained and licensed.

Just like the rest of your posts in this thread you're posting crap about things you obviously know nothing about - even if at one stage long ago you were "involved in the industry".
    Enlighten me.
    1)where do they(bouncers)recieve their training.
    2)where are their license'e issued and what are the requirement's for such a license.
    By trained i was refering to customer interaction,first aid,emergency evacuation of club,etc,etc,not fitness training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Enlighten me.
    2)where are their license'e issued and what are the requirement's for such a license.
    By trained i was refering to customer interaction,first aid,emergency evacuation of club,etc,etc,not fitness training.
    No answers for these, but all I'll say is that when trouble kicks off in a club or outside, the bouncers 'customer interaction' is the last thing I'm worried about. The bouncers, to my knowledge, are there to prevent trouble both inside and outside of the clubs. They're not there to look after you with a plaster if you get cut from someone breaking glass. They're bouncers, not babysitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Enlighten me.

All doormen are government licensed,they all have to train for emergencies of all sorts,they are renewed every two years.No criminal records,no scum bags anymore and regularly checked and most if not all doormen are often not the sterotype.
    Just because a guy is big and looks after himself,doesnt make him a steriod freak.

On Friday in Escape(Im using that as my most recent example),the door staff seemed bang on,the guys inside the club were really good and didnt need to flex any muscles etc.

I see the same type of dorstaff in big clubs like Mantra/Time etc.

I really think the sterotype doesnt exist in most good modern clubs/pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can tell you for a fact that our security go through fire safety, first aid and many different kinds of training and generally are a good bunch of lads. I hate the stereotype that all bouncers are assholes, this is not the case (these days at least)

I would also much rather have them when the **** hits the fan then have to tackle some of the dirt in this town on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Enlighten me.

I'm not now nor ever was a bouncer so I don't know where they get their licences but I do know that all security staff working for the Tweedy Group (and most of the other bars/clubs in Waterford) were required as part of their job spec and the law to have or receive training and a license from the PSA which is the government body appointed to regulate the private security industry.
    In addition, the vast majority of bouncers I know also had first aid and fire training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

From Harveys Face Book

We realise times are tough!! Harveys now want to give something back to you...

No late drink prices - majority of drinks now €5 or under :)

Come & see for yourself....

First time Ive seen a Kavanagh give something back to anyone ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

cant see why students like harveys so much. Harveys is the biggest rip off ive ever been to. late night prices my arse. its cheaper to drink a pint of heineken in temple bar than in harveys. as a influential student i assure you harveys is about to lose alot of customers and rightfully so if they continue to rip people off.

its unfortunate that there isnt alot of choice in waterford. when a pub owner has more than one bar that has to be against competition rules. it stops prices dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

As a student i whole heartedly agree with you. I HATE harvey's. There's nothing special about it at all. And as for their smoking room, i was in there last week, (against my will) it was freezing and raining and the roof was open! Like what the f*ck? Whats the point in having a covered in smoking room if the roof is open on a rainy night?

• Advertisement

Hate Harvey’s myself, But the problem is there is no where else to go, Escape has a younger crowd, Masons is the same, Was dragged into Dignity last Sat night, wasn’t bad for a change, But the sheep of Waterford must like spending money on ridiculous over priced drink, and the roof has to be open in the smoking area.

I’m surprised its hasn’t being pulled back more, and im not sure if im wrong here, but isn’t it illegal to have a bar in the smoking area as the bar staff are being exposed to passive smoking?

The majority of students in WIT don't come from Waterford and initially rely on word of mouth in deciding where to go out. If they have a good night out in a place at the start of the year, chances are they'll still be heading there at the end of the year and will then be telling all their friends about it the year after. When compared to pubs and clubs in Ballygobackwards' in the arse end of nowhere in the likes of Tipperary, Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny, Harvey's emerges quite favourably.

It's a very hard cycle for anyone to break, especially when there seems to be a commercial association between Harveys and the Students Union who are always promoting events that are on in Harveys.

Maybe thats because the student union like taking brown enevlopes, which I dont think is very fair on other late night premises in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Well the association between the two is that Harvey's are paying the costs to design, print and publish the student publication in exchange for some advertisements and promotion. The previous situation for the publication was that a separate advertising company organised the ads and costs for it and got the revenue from it, SU got nothing. That contract ran out this summer, so when it came to making a new arrangement Harveys stepped up and made the offer.
    Maybe thats because the student union like taking brown enevlopes, which I dont think is very fair on other late night premises in the city
    Yes they took a brown envelope and stuck it in their pocket, well done. :rolleyes:
    I'm never the biggest fan of the events the SU organise, but its perfectly fair if Harvey's are offering something in return that saves money for the SU. Escape/Revs were looking to make the same offer as well.

Well the association between the two is that Harvey's are paying the costs to design, print and publish the student publication in exchange for some advertisements and promotion. The previous situation for the publication was that a separate advertising company organised the ads and costs for it and got the revenue from it, SU got nothing. That contract ran out this summer, so when it came to making a new arrangement Harveys stepped up and made the offer.

Yes they took a brown envelope and stuck it in their pocket, well done. :rolleyes:
    I'm never the biggest fan of the events the SU organise, but its perfectly fair if Harvey's are offering something in return that saves money for the SU. Escape/Revs were looking to make the same offer as well.

Mitch the storys I could tell you from years down the line between the su and night clubs you might see where I am coming from then :rolleyes:

Mitch the storys I could tell you from years down the line between the su and night clubs you might see where I am coming from then :rolleyes:
    ut the students union changes every year. you cant paint them all with the same brush. i agree that this harveys deal is really dodgy but you cant blame them for the union a couple years back buying a jeep for example

That contract ran out this summer, so when it came to making a new arrangement Harveys stepped up and made the offer.
    its perfectly fair if Harvey's are offering something in return that saves money for the SU. Escape/Revs were looking to make the same offer as well.

I would hardly describe Harvey's as stepping up to the plate when you go on to say that Escape was looking to make the same offer. Having exclusive promotional opportunities in a college is well worth Harvey's investment and I wouldn't be surprised if what they made back in a week would cover the costs for the entire year. They're also ensuring that other competitors are shut out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

From Harveys Face Book

This makes my heart smile...... :)

I knew that would make you smile Zeidth ha ha but im sure there is some catch in it:)

• Advertisement

From Harveys Face Book

im from imerick. its a bigger and busier city than waterford.

i can promiss you this. if you go to any bar in limerick at any hour youll find it very very difficult to find a drink that costs more than 5 euro!!!!

what f##king drink should be more than 5 euro?????

Harveys is a disgrace to pblicans everywhere. the idiots that go there need o let me know wheehey are finding their wads of cash that they can spend in this current climate.

ziedth wrote: »
    This makes my heart smile...... :)
    you cant be serious???

what the hell do you see in that place. its a dive and its an expensive one.

Advertisement