Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAWS

• 30-09-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

After much deliberating and discussions MAWS has been officially launched.

For those of you who don't know about it...it's Mags' and Anne's Winter Spins. Quite simply, one winter/spring of Orwell club spins has left us 'Enniskerry weary' and after enjoying a summer's worth of sportives - Ring of Kerry, Sean Kelly (160), Burren, Etape etc, and hearing about other cyclists' club spins, we're decided to go national. So, over the coming months we'll be donning our Dundrum/Orwell jerseys in far flung (and close by) counties - with full reports and pictures posted here on our adventures!

Guest appearances have been promised by El Tonto, Dirk Voodoo, Lumen, Aidanoffbeat and other boardsies....

The lovely people in the Burren Cycling Club, Clonard, North Tipp Wheelers, Naas, the Marble City Cyclers have all agreed to host us, but if you'd like to have us join you for your club Saturday or Sunday spin over the coming months, pm us.

Please note that Mags can be a bit grumpy in the morning and does not eat shop-bought cake, Anne has been known to have a penchant for drafting and her bike mechanics skills are limited....

Mags & Anne

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So this is what we drunkenly signed up to. Dirk was worried that he'd agreed to join the army or something ;)

You could get a book out it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What the hell is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Whats a derailleur?

Raam wrote: »

Oh, ok we'll put you down for a special appearance too......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mags ... I'll join you on your less hilly spins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nod and smile, nod and smile.

• Advertisement

Oh, ok we'll put you down for a special appearance too......

Woo hoo! :)

Mags ... I'll join you on your less hilly spins :)

Great, we'll pencil you in!!! Glad to have your support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Is this two ladies 'on the pull' or two ladies looking for a pull.
    :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Simply put, Mags and Anne are going on a tour of the nation's cycling clubs, riding with a different one every second week.

Right now, you're being pencilled in for an early January spin with Tory Island Cycling Club.

el tonto wrote: »
    Simply put, Mags and Anne are going on a tour of the nation's cycling clubs, riding with a different one every second week.

Right now, you're being pencilled in for an early January spin with Tory Island Cycling Club.

4.5km at it's longest. Should be fun.

• Advertisement

El Tonto, thank you for your support and clarifying the situation. Rok On, did you not read the post and poster???

4.5km at it's longest. Should be fun.

Twenty out and backs. Great crack.

El Tonto, thank you for your support and clarifying the situation. Rok On, did you not read the post and poster???

Sorry, meant as a joke.
    Best of luck, actually I think it is a very nice idea. Easy to get bored with the same routes.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Sorry, meant as a joke.
    Best of luck, actually I think it is a very nice idea. Easy to get bored with the same routes.

That's ok - see you in Kerry when you organise to host us there!!! Make it a Saturday spin and we can have some drinks afterwards...that will draw the Dublin boardsies down!!!

That's ok - see you in Kerry when you organise to host us there!!! Make it a Saturday spin and we can have some drinks afterwards...that will draw the Dublin boardsies down!!!

I go for a spin and a drink every week.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I go for a spin and a drink every week.

Just the one (drink)? We may be busy that weekend......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have cycled the length and breadth of Tory. It requires epic determination and navigation skills. You are assured of failure unless you have fluent Irish and a packet of Rolo in your jersey pocket.

Go n-eirí an bothar libh, a Mhags is Áine.

A massive ‘thank you’ to Clonard Road Club which hosted the inaugural MAWS (Mags’ and Anne’s Winter Spins) on Sunday.
    Things had looked a little doubtful when Anne spent the week being sick before presenting herself to two casualties on Saturday…spleen, liver, gallstones have all been mentioned but until the ultrasound later in the week, it’s a suspected binge drinking-induced affliction.
    Unable to cycle she insisted MAWS had to go ahead, so at 7.30am on Sunday we headed for Meath. With no traffic and some slight speeding, we landed at the club spin start point of Mother Hubbards at 8.15am for an 8.45am start.
    After introductions and Anne apologising profusely while trying to look ill, Mags took off on the 70k spin (her first of any notable distance since the SK160 so we were a little concerned about her ability to keep up) with a bunch of strangers while Anne headed (in the car) for Edenderry and the planned coffee stop.
    Unfortunately there aren’t many cultural sights of note between Clonard and Edenderry – seemingly there was a monastery at some stage aeons ago, but we’re not convinced of this story and suspect it’s only a local ploy to get the tourists in – the locals say it was built of wood hence the lack of evidence. But, on the plus side, the upper part of the Bog of Allen was pretty, and it was very FLAT!!!
    A huge bonus for the club are the quiet and wide roads – along with very few potholes, zero gravel, not a huge amount of road kill – one badger – and very friendly locals – lots of tooting of recognition!
    Along the way, as well as a few duos out cycling, we met a club from Edenderry – the 905s – seemingly called this as they set out on their weekend spins at 9.05 prompt! Not sure if this was a joke or not. However, big friendly shouts from both clubs as we passed and lots of waving – none of the usual Wicklow ‘lucky if you get a nod’ type stuff down here! We also spotted a bunch up ahead from Mullingar, but a dropped chain in our group put paid to any possible chase (thankfully not my chain, as I really wouldn’t know what to do after stopping!).
    The coffee stop – a fancy Topaz in Edenderry, which has great broadband Anne reports, was spot on. And there’s no messing around with the Clonard crew – in fact it was like an American-style meeting with everyone (bar me) standing! But it gave us all a quick chance to chat, discuss sportives, racing and boards.ie, and admire the Clonard jersey – red, white and green really works and makes a very distinctive group and it was impressive that all the members were wearing it Sunday (even if one did insist on wearing a jacket over it - apparently he’s on a warning for this behaviour). We also found out that Colm and Alan’s father is behind the custom-built Rapparee bikes. No, we hadn’t heard of them. Doh.
    Top marks for jersey design too – the club managed to get main sponsors, Murphys Sixt rent-a-car, and six other sponsors (Coyne Cycles, Maye Wood Design, Rapparee, Paddy Ronan & Sons Engineering and Network Sports Massage) all on without it looking cluttered!
    After the quick coffee we were back on the bikes, with Anne working as Broomwagon, for the last 10k stretch back. Thankfully Mags managed to keep up all morning, but was totally caught out by the sprint finish and not knowing where the finish line is was a complete disadvantage/good excuse!
    Again, a huge thanks to all the Clonard cyclists who were out today and made us feel very welcome, especially club Chairman Colm Maye – former cyclist of some renown we were told – but again not sure if their caustic wit was at our expense here or not. We’ll defo be back, when Anne has a new liver/spleen and can cycle.

This report could not have been brought to you in full without the help of the couple on their way into Vincent's A&E on Saturday evening - hope they managed to sow you back up and it wasn't too serious! Also, could Clonard's web designer, currently AWOL in Argentina, PLEASE make contact Colm/anyone in the club, with the passwords for the site.

Mags and Anne
    Next stop: The Burren

Facts:
    39 miles/ 63km
    31km/h average
    Topaz Tea: E1.60
    Texaco Petrol: E129.9

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Did she have to travel to Australia to go to the A&E?

Great, it's going to take me FOREVER to figure out how to change this...grrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great, it's going to take me FOREVER to figure out how to change this...grrrr

Image flip vertical....

It's nearly easier to photoshop in a few cork hats and koala bears though.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Image flip vertical....

It's nearly easier to photoshop in a few cork hats and koala bears though.

It doesn't work.....still upside down...so no A&E pic

Email it to me an I'll fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Ladies.
    You are 1st to get the heads up on this. Although not an invite to ride with any particular club in the West it may interest you to ride with members of most of them and King SK himself over 2 days.

A weekend of cycling with Sean Kelly and Friends returns to South Mayo on the weekend of Sat 4th / Sun 5th of December.

60 miles on Saturday
    50 miles on Sunday.

Full details and a list of accomadation will be finalised in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I believe you met the only 1 girl in the Clonard club: littlemissfickle on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Good for ye, I think its a great way to see the country's pubs, sorry I ment cycle routes:D
    I'm not a club member but post up if ye are hitting cork!

There you go, you're no longer standing on your heads at A&E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Are Rapparee still making frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MAWS

There you go, you're no longer standing on your heads at A&E

Thanks for that, I was starting to get dizzy with all the blood going to my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 MAWS

Good for ye, I think its a great way to see the country's pubs, sorry I ment cycle routes:D
    I'm not a club member but post up if ye are hitting cork!

Thanks - well it's important to remain properly hydrated...and MAWS are all for supporting local hostelries businesses on our tour of Ireland's cycling clubs!
    Cork is definitely on the agenda so we will keep you posted.

Advertisement