Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal re-opened

• 24-09-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Shut in 1961, emptied of water in parts, flat bridges built across its width in many places the Royal Canal will officially be re-opened on 30th Sept 2010 from the Liffey to the Shannon.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is Spencer Dock fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

murphaph wrote: »
    Is Spencer Dock fixed?

Still awaiting restoration are some 750m through Spencer Dock which remain partially infilled and owned by C.I.E. and include the inoperable lifting bridge at Sheriff St. (Dublin City Council) with its accompanying low-level ESB cable.

The spur into Longford Town is also not opening but on the up side it will be navigable from Dublin to the Shannon through Kilcock, Mullingar etc.

Source Dan Bath "Royal Canal News"

Log on to www.royalcanal.net for full information on the opening celebrations..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

murphaph wrote: »
    Is Spencer Dock fixed?

The section through the CIE site is effectively an unfinished building site and navigation through to the Liffey is impossible. This section was to be developed as a linear park during the grandiose spencer dock development. But considering that Spencer Dock north will not be developed in the foreseable future, I'd wager heavily that this linear park won't be developed and the canal will remain as it currently is. ie. A victim of the property boom and reality check.

But nice to finally see that the Royal is navigable again, even if its connection with the liffey is severed.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

DWCommuter wrote: »
    The section through the CIE site is effectively an unfinished building site and navigation through to the Liffey is impossible. This section was to be developed as a linear park during the grandiose spencer dock development. But considering that Spencer Dock north will not be developed in the foreseable future, I'd wager heavily that this linear park won't be developed and the canal will remain as it currently is. ie. A victim of the property boom and reality check.

But nice to finally see that the Royal is navigable again, even if its connection with the liffey is severed.:rolleyes:

Agreed. I'm a 'minor' canal enthusiast as well a reformed train spotter but I still can't see the Royal Canal reaching anything near its full potential as long as the Dublin end is such a no go area. I have travelled on inner city canals in the UK and I've seen nothing to compare with the area around Broombridge or near Docklands. I wouldn't take a boat through there without armed guards. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Any map of the canal please?

A.

• Advertisement

The Royal Canal Amenity Group have been behind the campaign to reopen the route since the early 1970s - see here: http://www.royalcanal.net/ and try Google images for numerous maps of the Royal Canal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

didn't they put in new gates at Spencer Dock.

I can't see how "reopening" without being able to get to the Liffey is "reopening"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well originally when the Royal canal opened for business on the Dublin end it was from Broadstone (branch filled in). The section to the liffey was built a little bit later. Somewhat akin to the Circular line of Grand Canal. However the Royal Canal company numbered it's locks from the liffey unlike the Grand, which were numbered from St. James basin, thence Lock 1 been at Suir Road on the Grand which is several locks above the Liffey at Ringsend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

time lord wrote: »
    the Royal Canal will officially be re-opened on 30th Sept 2010 from the Liffey to the Shannon.
    and be closed shortly thereafter due to water supply problems, (cart before the horse!)

Always read the small print ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well originally when the Royal canal opened for business on the Dublin end it was from Broadstone (branch filled in). The section to the liffey was built a little bit later. Somewhat akin to the Circular line of Grand Canal. However the Royal Canal company numbered it's locks from the liffey unlike the Grand, which were numbered from St. James basin, thence Lock 1 been at Suir Road on the Grand which is several locks above the Liffey at Ringsend.

the canal ended at the Blessington st Basin, which was a water reservoir for the good burghers of Dublin, bringing water from Lough Owel to Dublin.

The Library at Phibsboro is built across the old line of the canal, and it went down the side of the 'Joy to the present canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The Library at Phibsboro is built across the old line of the canal, and it went down the side of the 'Joy to the present canal.
    So the words of "The Auld Triangle" are no longer operative?
    And the auld triangle
    went jingle jangle
    all along the banks
    of the Royal Canal

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the mainline runs along the north of the prison still.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The Royal Canal Amenity Group have been behind the campaign to reopen the route since the early 1970s - see here: http://www.royalcanal.net/ and try Google images for numerous maps of the Royal Canal. :)
    They don't seem to have any maps up yet.

OisinT wrote: »
    They don't seem to have any maps up yet.

map.jpg

Ireland's Royal Canal by Ruth Delany should prove useful for anybody seriously interested in the Royal Canal and it is available for €30 paperback or €35 hardback see here: http://www.lilliputpress.ie/listbook.html?id=138797961

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9dg8I7kDmRnneATkeOjJE7CbfcN658-8t2-PqmLvwLCh5jVI&t=1&usg=__NfGUtJiI6exKEvxzo-YUVOiWAr0=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Some nice details on the Broadstone section of the Royal Canal at the link below.

http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-broadstone-line-of-the-royal-canal/

Overall its a great site for Canal history. The James Gate section of the Grand Canal is particularly interesting, given it was originally the mainline. I remember it in the late 70s looking very forlorn just before it was filled in completely and converted to a park. It was like a barge graveyard at the James Gate end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

the canal ended at the Blessington st Basin, which was a water reservoir for the good burghers of Dublin, bringing water from Lough Owel to Dublin.

no the canal didn't end at Belessington Basin. It ended in Broadstone harbour, which Broadstone station was built beside. The harbour was later filled in and used for the freight yard of the MG&WR. This can be seen when you look at the Ordance Survey Historic 6" map
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715045,735230,6

By the time the 25" map had been done it was gone though Foster's Aqueduct still stood and wasn't demolished until 1951.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Has the reopening date changed, or what, has anyone an update on this.

http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,6778,page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

alinton wrote: »
    Any map of the canal please?

It's fairly well-mapped on OpenStreetMap. Though if anybody can contribute missing locks or anything else of interest, please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Does this mean you can travel from Longford to Dublin by boat.

T Corolla wrote: »
    Does this mean you can travel from Longford to Dublin by boat.

No. The Longford branch has not been restored - you can travel from Dublin to the River Shannon.

• Advertisement

How will you be able to get there is there another way sorry I'm not that well up on the canal

T Corolla wrote: »
    How will you be able to get there is there another way sorry I'm not that well up on the canal

Post #15

map.jpg

Thanks judgement day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭baldbear

No. The Longford branch has not been restored - you can travel from Dublin to the River Shannon.

I'm sure that clondara in Longford is the start point, from Richmond harbour. Can any ordinary joe book a trip on a boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

baldbear wrote: »
    I'm sure that clondara in Longford is the start point, from Richmond harbour. Can any ordinary joe book a trip on a boat?

You can hire a boat, there are plenty of companies hiring cruisers on the Shannon and narrowboats on the Grand canal, I imagine that there will be boats available on the Royal soon if not already.

Although it has been physically possible to navigate hire craft all the way to the city centre on the Grand canal most if not all hire companies prohibit them being taken into the Dublin area for security reasons, I would expect the same to be the case for the Royal Canal.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You can hire a boat, there are plenty of companies hiring cruisers on the Shannon and narrowboats on the Grand canal, I imagine that there will be boats available on the Royal soon if not already.

Although it has been physically possible to navigate hire craft all the way to the city centre on the Grand canal most if not all hire companies prohibit them being taken into the Dublin area for security reasons, I would expect the same to be the case for the Royal Canal.

And that about says it all! A country with a zero tolerance policy of doing anything about law and order. How can the country be marketed for tourists when this type of situation continues? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

whats it like to cycle along it once you get out of Dublin?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

silverharp wrote: »
    whats it like to cycle along it once you get out of Dublin?

bumpy! Its grass towpath most of the way, some is gravel and some is very well compacted/graded gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

MYOB wrote: »
    bumpy! Its grass towpath most of the way, some is gravel and some is very well compacted/graded gravel.

But is it possible to walk along the tow path the entire route?

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »
    But is it possible to walk along the tow path the entire route?

Hands off, the entire canal and towpath are needed for the imminent four tracking of the Dublin/Galway line - to cope with all the extra traffic coming off the WRC! :D

Advertisement