Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sayings/quotes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

"The looser you are with something, the lighter you hold it in your hand, the more powerful it can be."

Stuart A Staples.

I read that in the Q&A section of the Irish Times Magazine last Saturday. It just kind've stuck with me.

tumblr_l7cetg9V351qd687eo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

"But this road doesn't go anywhere," I told him.
    That doesn't matter."
    What does?" I asked, after a little while.
    Just that we're on it, dude," he said."

''People used what they called a telephone because they hated being close together and they were scared of being alone. ''

"Here's my theory about meetings and life: the three things you can't fake are erections, competence and creativity."

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

p.gif
    I don't know if anyone has quoted Mark Twain,so here's a few of his best ones:

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

"Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Today in school my year head came out with this absolute gem :
    'The road to success has many parking spots. '

That's great miss, but I don't have a car..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Today in school my year head came out with this absolute gem :
    'The road to success has many parking spots. '

That's great miss, but I don't have a car..:pac:

Eww. That phrase is back? :P Its still summmmmer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

"Milk was a bad choice"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

"Atheists don't fly planes into buildings"

"Can one simply walk into mordor?"

"I don't play... I'm a serious gamer!"

"This is YOUR life, and it is ending one minute at a time"

"Some men arent looking for anything logical, like money. They cant be bought, bullied, reasoned or negoiated with. Some men, just want to watch the world burn."

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible!" -Arthur C. Clarke

And lastly a personl fav, that gets me through the day

"Haters, gonna hate"

Sorry if any of these are repeats btw! best of luck with this project of yours.. Dont forget to post pictures :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

"Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them. And you have their shoes."

Saw this an old diary of mine from when I was 12 a few weeks back. Not sure who said it, but I thought it was pretty amusing. :D

"Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them. And you have their shoes."

Saw this an old diary of mine from when I was 12 a few weeks back. Not sure who said it, but I thought it was pretty amusing. :D

Best one yet.. made me laugh and lighthend up my day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

"We never grow up. We just learn how to behave in public." :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

"the worst is yet to come "

"This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper"

"This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper"

What is that from? o_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

marko93 wrote: »
    What is that from? o_o

Last stanza of "The Hollow Men" by TS Elliot.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Colm! wrote: »
    Last stanza of "The Hollow Men" by TS Elliot.

Yup.
    LOVE IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sulkinskimpy

"I spent all my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I just wasted." George Best on his life perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

Pathwalker, there is no path. You must make the path as you walk

Choice, not chance, determines destiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Nishi: This is a stone called mica schist. Try peeking into the crack.
    That's right, like that.
    Shizuku: Ohhh! It's so pretty!
    Nishi: It's called "beryl". There's an inclusion of raw emerald.
    Shizuku: "Emerald"? The gemstone?
    Nishi: That's right. You and Seiji both, you're like that stone.
    Unpolished stones in their natural state. Now, I like even unpolished
    stones very much, but things like violin making and storywriting are
    different. You have to find the rough gems inside yourself, take the time,
    and polish them. It's very time consuming work. That rock has a largest
    stone, right?
    Shizuku: Yes.
    Nishi: Actually, that one, when you polish it, instead turns out to be
    worthless. The smaller ones further inside are of higher purity. And in a
    part you can't see from the outside, there might be even better stones.
    Ah, this won't do. You get old and you start getting preachy.
    Shizuku: I've become very afraid of finding out whether or not I have have
    a beautiful crystal like this inside me. But I want to write. When I've
    written my story, I'll be sure to show it to you first.
    Nishi: Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

From Whisper of The Heart. I don't know, I think you actually have to
    watch the scene to really appreciate how lovely that whole conversation is.

So much <3 for that movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

So much <3 for that movie!

I think I've spoken about this before, but it's an inspiring movie, despite all it's "girlyness". My brother was going to give it away when he was clearing out his DVDs, and I had to admit in the most mumbly way that I liked it and wanted to keep it. He laughed, but understood, because he liked it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

"a human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. specialization is for insects." - time enough for love, by robert heinlein.

love this quote for reasons unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭SportsGreatest

My motto - for sport.

"Heart. Hunger. Desire. Passion. Today. Tomorrow. Always."

Two others:

"Impossible is Nothing."

"Never Give Up."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Mrs. Merton/Caroline Aherne interviewing Debbie McGee: "So what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Best interview question ever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

the only difference between try and triumph is a little umph:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

carlsaganexistence.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An old thread, but one worth bumping every now and then. Some lines by Leonard Cohen that rang to me tonight:

"I met a girl across the sea,
    her hair the gold that gold can be,
    Are you a teacher of the heart?
    Yes, but not for thee. "

"I was handsome I was strong,
    I knew the words of every song.
    Did my singing please you?
    No, the words you sang were wrong."

From the song Teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Oh man, I love quotes. I have tonnes of documents saved absolutely full of quotes. :)

Here's a couple from Jodi Picoult novels. :o

'What if it turns out that a life isn’t defined by who you belong to or where you came from, by what you wished for or whom you’ve lost, but instead by the moments you spend getting from each of these places to the next?'

"I don't belong to a religion. Religion's the reason the world's falling apart...That's what religion does. It points a finger. It causes wars. It breaks apart countries. It's a petri dish for stereotypes to grow in. Religion's not about being holy. Just holier-than-thou."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Here's the ones I've listed on Facebook:

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you." - Christopher Hitchens

“You have to remind yourself of the big picture. We are specs of dust riding on a mote, hurtling through a vacuum so vast it's incomprehensible. Right now, a star several magnitudes the size of our own is exploding in a flash of light visible across galaxies. In another moment an entire species will go extinct because someone stepped on the last survivor. In the next few decades you will meet tens of thousands of new people, any of them could end up being your best friends… some may become your bitter rivals. All of them will die a few decades later. And so will you. A few decades more and no one will remember any of it. In a few thousand years there may be no living memory of humanity, let alone the fool you made of yourself in front of that cute barista.” --"yosemighty_sam" on reddit.com (a surprisingly high number of quotes I've written down come from Reddit.com comments :\)

"Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -Lawrence Krauss.

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -High Fidelity

"They 'trust' me. Dumb fucks" - Mark Zuckerberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

"Pain breeds strength, trust your struggle"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I'd like to say that people people can change anything they want to; and that means everything in the world. Show me any country and there'll be people in it. And it's the people that make the country. People have got to stop pretending they're not on the world. People are running about following their little tracks. I am one of them. But we've all gotta stop just stop following our own little mouse trail. People can do anything; this is something that I'm beginning to learn. People are out there doing bad things to each other; it's because they've been dehumanized. It's time to take that humanity back into the centre of the ring and follow that for a time. Greed... it ain't going anywhere! They should have that on a big billboard across Times Square. Think on that. Without people you're nothing. - Joe Strummer

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not. There is nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world if full of educated derelicts. Persistence and Determination alone are omnipotent." - Joe Stummer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Stumbled upon this, no idea of its origin but thought it was good enough to share :)

What will matter is not what you bought but what you built. Not what you got, but what you gave.
    What will matter is not your success, but your significance.
    What will matter is not what you learned, but what you taught.
    What will matter is every act of integrity, compassion, courage or sacrifice that enriched, empowered or encouraged others to emulate your example.
    What will matter is not your competence, but your character.

Advertisement