Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Folding@Home - Who's using what?

• 13-09-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

So, what's everyone Folding on, and what clients are you all using?

4 seems to be using only Unicore clients, 2 mainly using PS3s, one using an ATi GPU, and 2 using GPUs and maybe an SMP client...

How far off am I? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

C'mon... 16 views and no replies? Give me something. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've lost a CPU in recent times, but still have 1 OS X box running the 32/64bit SMP client, a two core Ubuntu box managed by Origami and my PS3.

Cool... never used Origami myself. I prefer just using the Linux Client on it's own. :)

What kind of PPD are you getting on that OSX rig?

EDIT: Anyone here Folding on an i7? Because -bigadv Folding would do wonders for the team's PPD. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

zodac from OCN?

I just signed up for 2 folding raffles there!

Yup, that's me. ;)

• Advertisement

ooh, after discovering this forum I'm torn as to wheter I should fold for Boards or OCN D:

Probably OCN as they give away prizes and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OCN is not the folding group you are looking for.

/waves hand

Pah, I'll fold for Boards, there isn't much other folders anyway :)

That's cool. Give me a shout if you need a hand with clients.

But you know, you can Fold for OCN for the Foldathon. It's only 2 days in the month. ;)

Nah it's Ok, wasn't like I was going to win anything anyway :D

• Advertisement

Alright then. Looks like we have a new Boards Folder. :D

Ok, just threw my PS3 on to team 39432. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Have a unicore client running on my old PC (now lives in my parent's house as their main PC).

I also have a GPU3 client which is going to see a lot more use as winter sets in.. I use it to heat up my bedroom when it's cold, it actually does a worryingly good job.

FAH username is Coffee Ninja.

Coffee_Ninja actually. :p

And for GPU3, add the -advmethods flags. The new 912/925pt WUs give better PPD. Thet take around the same time as the 611pt WUs, but give more points. ;)

zodac wrote: »
    Coffee_Ninja actually. :p

And for GPU3, add the -advmethods flags. The new 912/925pt WUs give better PPD. Thet take around the same time as the 611pt WUs, but give more points. ;)

Oh dear, you'll have to update the Google form yoke with the "_" as I left it out! Away from home so I just looked up the extremeoverclocking link for my username.. but they are all underlined so I missed the "_"!

Rumour has it that the new GPU3 units suffer from a higher rate of EUE's which has put me off!

Form editted.

And we're not seeing any EUEs at all.

In fact, try the 260 beta drivers, GPU3 console version, and -advmethods flag. Apparently, it gives a 5-10° drop, and more PPD. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

1 x PS3
    2 or 3 x pc's in work [shhhhhhhh]

Form editted.

And we're not seeing any EUEs at all.

In fact, try the 260 beta drivers, GPU3 console version, and -advmethods flag. Apparently, it gives a 5-10° drop, and more PPD. :D

Been running the advmethods flag the last few days with no EUEs which is great! Would be nice to pair up the Google Doc with who is using what, max PPD as submitted by user and actual PPD (from stats). I'm happy to do it if needed, though I fear we don't have enough information to make really interesting.

I'll have stats for the Foldathon, which should be nice. And we've got plenty of time to grow. We'll hold the Foldathon every month, and we should start seeing some more active members. We've gone from 8/9 to 16 since I posted the thread. And once everyone starts qualifying for bonuses, we'll see a very nice boost. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gonna keep mine running on 2 of 4 i7 CPUs during the day, and knock it up to full at night :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I hate you :(

Solitaire wrote: »
    I hate you :(

In a good way... obviously. :)

Two i7s against my single OCd E5200... :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Solitaire wrote: »
    Two i7s against my single OCd E5200... :(

no no i meant 2 cores, of 1 CPU... c'mon dude I got a wedding coming up, ya think I could afford a 2nd pc? :p

I was wondering if you were stealing CPU time off work machines or something! :P

no no i meant 2 cores, of 1 CPU... c'mon dude I got a wedding coming up, ya think I could afford a 2nd pc? :p

Wha...?! :eek:

Go turn HT on for the next couple of days at least. Those extra 4 threads will give you a big boost in PPD.

Wha...?! :eek:

Go turn HT on for the next couple of days at least. Those extra 4 threads will give you a big boost in PPD.

Our leccy bill is high enough as it is

HT doesn't cost that much extra wattage... I suspect you'd have better PPD/Watt with HT active :o:p

Fiiiine I'll stick HT on for the next 2 days, but that's it! Back to normal :P HT ruins Bad Company 2 performance on my rig for some reason :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's what I like to hear. ;)

Advertisement