Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ideas for a first car for 21yo girl

• 15-09-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

hi thought i would ask the experts over here .any ideas on a first car for a 21 year old girl,doing a fair bit of mileage going to college etc ,with a budget of about 4k?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

pebbles21 wrote: »
    hi thought i would ask the experts over here .any ideas on a first car for a 21 year old girl,doing a fair bit of mileage going to college etc ,with a budget of about 4k?

thanks in advance

05 Toyota Yaris. Preferably with pink fluffy steering wheel cover, pink cushions in the back seat and snoopy/woodstock suction cup attachment to back window to ensure maximum enjoyment for drivers behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

pebbles21 wrote: »

thanks in advance

Peugeot 206

Ignoring the stereotype above.. :rolleyes:

Can't really go wrong with something like that. It doesnt mention NCT, but find one that does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

05 Toyota Yaris. Preferably with pink fluffy steering wheel cover, pink cushions in the back seat and snoopy/woodstock suction cup attachment to back window to ensure maximum enjoyment for drivers behind.

thanks for your helpful comments as per usual mr smith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

ottostreet wrote: »
    Peugeot 206

Can't really go wrong with something like that.

Your post is like someone saying no but at the same time nodding their head.

Do not get a peugeot unless you have an endless supply of money for mechanics and enjoy having regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Permission to mention the Ford Puma...

:)

They go like stink! Great fun in the twisties and you will never get bored of it like you would if you bought say a Yaris or a Micra.
    Also the Puma forums are very helpful if you need any help on fixing anything on it or you wanna modify it with an induction kit or a huge turbo!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They go like stink! Great fun in the twisties and you will never get bored of it like you would if you bought say a Yaris or a Micra.
    Also the Puma forums are very helpful if you need any help on fixing anything on it or you wanna modify it with an induction kit and a huge turbo!!

I think the OP is female and probably not interested in huge turbos :D Also, your experience with your Puma has put most people in Motors off them permanently.

OP, why not spend 2k and keep the other 2k for petrol?

'01 Corsa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Your post is like someone saying no but at the same time nodding their head.

Do not get a peugeot unless you have an endless supply of money for mechanics and enjoy having regrets.

Ignore the pink flower on the inside...I didn't see that!

Doesn't fare too badly on parkers.co.uk either. My aunt has owned one for 8 years, with no problems whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Confab wrote: »
    I think the OP is female and probably not interested in huge turbos :D Also, your experience with your Puma has put most people in Motors off them permanently.

'01 Corsa

Well, it turned out my Puma isn't really that bad after all...

Anyway that Corsa looks really clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Banned for a week for trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

You can't really go wrong with a Peugeot 206. It's your first car and it's probably the most popular for female first time buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Well seeing as she's getting a 1st car and will be on her own going to college I'd recommend this:

truck.jpg

She'll prob want a girly colour tho so what about this: (It comes without a laser tho)

tir%20renault%20truck%20niot.net%201%20%288%29.jpg

On a serious note what about something small like a FIAT Punto. It'll carter for all her needs and should be cheap enough on tax, insurance, petrol and if you need anything fixing for NCT the parts are handy to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Penny Lane

Something low maintenance, reliable, cheap to run & maintain-I recommend a SEAT Ibiza or a Nissan Micra.

Also the Puma forums are very helpful if you need any help on fixing anything on it or you wanna modify it with an induction kit or a huge turbo!!

MG ZR, 1.4 ZR is faster than a Puma and will leave it for dead in the twisties. Get one free of HG trouble and with a non whiney gearbox and you won't regret it. Ladies love ZRs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

+1 on the 206

My sister and I had one as our first car. Great for nipping about, easy to park and pretty good on petrol. My sister is still driving it 3 years later and can't imagine getting anything else.

In the 2 years I drove it, the only problem was a starter motor that needed to be replaced.

If she will be doing a lot of Motorway driving I would avoid the small engine versions. We had a 1.1LX and while it would do 120kph, the engine would be working pretty hard.

Also, they are everywhere so you should be able to source a good one at a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yawns wrote: »
    Well seeing as she's getting a 1st car and will be on her own going to college I'd recommend this:

<snip stupid picture>

She'll prob want a girly colour tho so what about this: (It comes without a laser tho)

<snip stupid picture>

On a serious note what about something small like a FIAT Punto. It'll carter for all her needs and should be cheap enough on tax, insurance, petrol and if you need anything fixing for NCT the parts are handy to get.

Seriously, someone's already been banned for suggesting a fluffy steering wheel. What did you think would happen to you??

Banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Wow. Just..wow.

OP, I'd go for a 206 or a Clio if I was you, two nice cars to drive with plenty of spec for the money. Very cheap insurance on both too. and tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id go for an aygo, you can get an 06 from a dealer for E4500. A yaris will be atleast double this amount, and in fairness your not exactly comparing apples and oranges! The depreciation on the aygo along with all other costs will be negligible...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamiecall

01/02 Golf Tdi. Cracking car for the money and very economical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

jamiecall wrote: »
    01/02 Golf Tdi. Cracking car for the money and very economical

Cracking Golf = Overrated. Especially that vintage.

+100 on the 206, its hard to go wrong with them. Someone also suggested an Aygo, try looking at the Citroen C1 and Peugeot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

OK its your first car but are you the type of 21 year old who has been happily driving parents large saloon for the last 4 years or the type who is just starting driving? Its an important question as everyone just comes up with the typical small cars. If you are used to a larger car, it would be wise to get a reasonably sized car if you can manage to insure it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Who will be paying the insurance, you or her?

Important question :)

My first car was a 1L Corsa and I loved it. I sold it to my parents and they still have it (99 reg). Never any real problems with it and it passed the NCT recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

What about an 03 ford focus or an 02 toyota corolla newer model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Confab wrote: »

'01 Corsa

whats a multifunctional adjustable steering wheel? what other function could it serve? adjustable yes, but multifunctional? :)

Fiesta Mk4 (1.25) they seem cheaper than other cars in same category, cheap for parts reliable, reasonable mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I reckon Yaris or Micra is the best way to go. Ok, they wont set your pulse racing but will be cheap to tax, insure, maintain and easy on petrol and relatively hassle free. I'm sure you'll want to spare as much of your dosh as possible for beer and that sort of stuff when your going to college;)

Puma and the likes are all well and good but insurance and even running costs could be prohibitive for a first time 21 year old driver whos a college student...please don't take that as slighting OP as thats not the way I intend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

jamiecall wrote: »
    01/02 Golf Tdi. Cracking car for the money

:eek:
    You must be joking me?

Advertisement