Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ah jayzus Furet do you want to close this thread too ???

There seems to be a worrying correlation between me appearing in a thread and Furet closing it down. I must remember to shower more often. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

That's enough of the commenting on the moderation now. Read the charter.

This is an aerial photo showing junction 10 of the M8, where it meets the N24. The large roundabout on the right is where the new N24 alignment is due to meet the current road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Jesus H Christ, is it the worst main road in the bloody country. the worst any road! the state of the roads going through the towns all along it is unbievable, carrick, tipp town, monard. my poor car. ****ing councils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Ha, that's funny, I'm driving that road for years and it is shockingly bad, the bit from Bansha to Tipp town and Tipp town itself.

By pass urgently required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I've been on local roads that are smoother and do less damage to my car. And as for the Cahir to Tipp Town section the amount of bends and no overtaking spaces means you have to share the roads with the overtaking retards who think its ok to do it on a blind bends.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The N24 was due to be upgraded to standard dual carriageway standard from Limerick to Waterford, requiring a completely new build road across south Tipperary, bypassing Tipperary, Bansha, Clonmel and Carrick-on-Suir. The new alignment would start at the M7 at Limerick and meet M8 junction 10 at Cahir before proceeding north of Clonmel to meet the M9 at Waterford, thus linking Waterford and Limerick AND providing a high quality connection between the M7, M8 and M9.

Sadly, however, the scheme has been "indefinitely suspended" (see attachment).

The proposed new route of the N24 is viewable in the second attachment. It is the red line, and deviates quite a bit from the current alignment.

We can forget about the upgrade going ahead until the M20, M18, M17, M11 and the M40 are done. It's well down the list, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

if the people of tipp town really want a by pass they should not vote for that clown martin mansergh .. whole road is a safety hazard:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• the clonmel bypass is an absolute bottleneck at 9am every morning. :mad:

the clonmel bypass is an absolute bottleneck at 9am every morning. :mad:

That's because it was ruined by inappropriate developments along its entire length. Now it's just a distributor road. Bypasses and roads in general need to be protected from development to maintain capacity and free-flowing movements. The real Clonmel Bypass, when it eventually gets built probably post-2020, will be a grade-separated dual carriageway a lot like this. It won't be anywhere near as big as the M8, but it will do the job very nicely.

• Furet wrote: »
    That's because it was ruined by inappropriate developments along its entire length. Now it's just a distributor road. Bypasses and roads in general need to be protected from development to maintain capacity and free-flowing movements. The real Clonmel Bypass, when it eventually gets built probably post-2020, will be a grade-separated dual carriageway a lot like this. It won't be anywhere near as big as the M8, but it will do the job very nicely.

your dead right in what you say. pure spot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Ha, that's funny, I'm driving that road for years and it is shockingly bad, the bit from Bansha to Tipp town and Tipp town itself.

By pass urgently required

thats a great section of road nice bends, i know when your stuck behind something it can be a pain, i drive from Emly to Clonmel everyday dont think the road is bad at all, was terrible there around the cold weather but thats all fixed, a bypass would be great but wont happen for a few more years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

True! I used to work in Cashel and I'd think I'd be home in no time if I finished an hour early - then I'd get to Clonmel and meet the traffic coming out of Abbott :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The bypass needs to be bypassed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

tippspur wrote: »
    The bypass needs to be bypassed.:(

Thats why they dont call it a bypass but rather an inner relief road!

• Thats why they dont call it a bypass but rather an inner relief road!

with no relief! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I think that it's called the Frank Drohan Road actually.
    Yis are dead right about the N24 a terrible and deadly national route. It's clear that a new road is now many years away.
    A cheaper option for now would be to increase the frequency of passanger trains on the Waterford - Limerick line.
    There are many living in Clonmel and Carrick on Suir working in Waterford. Same goes for Tipp Town working in Limerick.
    Seems to me Irish Rail are content to leave a Zombie service in place and eventually tell us it'll be closed down due to lack of use.
    If there was a proper frequency of railcars from early morning till evening and a keen ticket price, I for one would be thrilled never to have to take my life in my hands on that bloody road again. (Not to mention the crazy antics of the boy racers around Bansha).
    Furet, you're the font of great knowledge on these things. Maybe you could explain to me why this is probably a non-runner and my daily hellish commute must continue till I'm old - if I live that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Supposedly the Tipp town bypass has been approved for funds? Anybody know of any truth in this because the town has been needing a bypass for a long time.

Supposedly the Tipp town bypass has been approved for funds? Anybody know of any truth in this because the town has been needing a bypass for a long time.

That's not true I'm afraid. We're well up on what is and is not likely to go ahead any time soon on the Infrastructure forum and the N24 has been forgotten about for the foreseeable future.

I spoke too soon. A 600m section of the N24 at Tankerstown, between Bansha and Cahir, is to be realigned: http://etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUL161719

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

the land at tankerstown was bought in the 80's by the council a nearby house was demolished and the man who received the compensation emigrated to america, i heard that story from my dad several years back and i repeated the same story to my son only last friday when we drove along that stretch, has anybody noticed the 55 bus stops there, some dodgy spot for a bus to stop, it doesn't even have space to pull in off the carriageway, ye will spot a wooden fence which runs roughly parallel to the road , the new alignment will follow that fence with a staggered junction ( is that the right term ?)instead of the existing crossroads. OSI mapviewer shows the crossroads very well, you can see the fence very clearly in it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I vented my fury about this "road" a year back. Thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

they are patching all the bad bits between tipp town and bansha the last few days seem to be doing a proper job too private contractor doing the work

The pictures below are of the N21 Castleisland Bypass currently under construction:

tech2 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Had a look at the bypass today and it's very close to completion on the Tralee-Limerick road section. It's nearly all lined and studded but the Killarney-Tralee rd section is a little behind that but the length is not that long.

I took two photos from the pound road. First one is looking north:

IMAG0008.jpg

All future upgrades to the N24 (if they ever happen) will probably be of this standard, with two lanes in each direction and a wire barrier between the two carriageways. There would be a mixture of at-grade and grade separated junctions, plus the odd roundabout (such as where the N24 meets the M8 at Cahir).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

Thank you kind sir. :)

And now, I did some googling and found this document from 2008, the N24 Prioritisation Study: http://www.sera.ie/media/n24prioitisationstudy.pdf

Worth a read.

The Upgrade Plans, prior to suspension, were as follows:

1. M7/N24 Junction Upgrade at Ballysimon
    An interim upgrade featuring traffic signals was completed in 2008.

2. Ballysimon-Pallasgreen (Length = ?)
    Preliminary investigative work for this project commenced in 2008.

3. Pallasgreen-Bansha (Length = 30km)
    This includes the Tipperary Bypass. Planning process was completed in 2004 for WS2. Changed to Type 2 DC between then and 2008, and a revised EIS was being prepared by Tramore House in 2008.

4. Bansha-Cahir (Length = 13km)
    Route will be Type 2 DC. EIS was being prepared in 2008.

5. Cahir-Rathkeevin (Length = 10km)
    3km already open as 2+1 as part of M8 Cashel-Mitchelstown Scheme. This 3km is to be retrofitted as 2+2 in due course. The remaining 7km was at the EIS preparation stage in 2008.

6. Clonmel Bypass (Length = 15km)
    Preferred Route was being identified in 2008.

7. Carrick-on-Suir Bypass (Length = 17km)
    Planning process largely complete by 2004 for WS2. Changed to Type 2 DC, and new EIS was being prepared in 2008.

8. Fiddown-Waterford (Length = ?)
    Includes Mooncoin Bypass. Was at preliminary design in 2008. High Quality Dual Carriagway OR Type 2 Dual Carriageway probable.

Also, a bit of digging turned this up: http://www.sera.ie/media/n24prioitisationstudy.pdf

It's a report from 2008 called the N24 Prioritisation Study.

1. M7/N24 Junction Upgrade at Ballysimon
    An interim upgrade feature traffic signals was completed in 2008.

2. Ballysimon-Pallasgreen (Length = ?)
    Preliminary investigative work of this project commenced in 2008.

3. Pallasgreen-Bansha (Length = 30km)
    This includes the Tipperary Bypass. Planning process was completed in 2004 for WS2. Changed to Type 2 DC between then and 2008, and a revised EIS was being prepared by Tramore House in 2008.

4. Bansha-Cahir (Length = 13km)
    Route will be Type 2 DC. EIS was being prepared in 2008.

5. Cahir-Rathkeevin (Length = 10km)
    3km already open as 2+1 as part of M8 Cashel-Mitchelstown Scheme. This 3km is to be retrofitted as 2+2 in due course. The remaining 7km was at the EIS preparation stage in 2008.

6. Clonmel Bypass (Length = 15km)
    Preferred Route was being identified in 2008.

7. Carrick-on-Suir Bypass (Length = 17km)
    Planning process largely complete by 2004 for WS2. Changed to Type 2 DC, and new EIS was being prepared in 2008.

8. Fiddown-Waterford (Length = ?)
    Includes Mooncoin Bypass. Was at preliminary design in 2008. High Quality Dual Carriagway OR Type 2 Dual Carriageway probable.

Since The Pallasgreen to Bansha scheme seems to have been extended to encompass the Bansha to Cahir scheme too. A tender notice said as much in January 2010: http://www.ga.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN138833

Also, this chap has been working away on designing the scheme: http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/bratislav-dimitrijevic/17/48a/9b8

Plus, Tom Hayes TD was pretty cocky as recently as last July about the Tipperary Bypass section being progressed: http://www.tomhayes.ie/blog/?p=664

Pallasgreen to Bansha seems to have been extended to Pallasgreen to Cahir since 2008. A tender notice said as much in 2010: http://www.ga.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN138833

Also, this chap has been working away on designing the scheme: http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/bratislav-dimitrijevic/17/48a/9b8

Plus, Tom Hayes TD was pretty cocky as recently as last July about the Tipperary Bypass section being progressed: http://www.tomhayes.ie/blog/?p=664

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ok, so we're broke and any N24 upgrades are years away BUT hypothetically speaking, will the route ever be 2+2 minimum throughout? Any takers?

The N24 always struck me as a route that should be well built.

Hypothetically, it should be. I think the Pallasgreen-Cahir section would be the first to go ahead (38km). The Ballysimon-Pallasgreen section, and the Clonmel Bypass section, are the furthest from being ready to roll (on paper anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

They'll probably bring all of these as far as design status and then do them piecemeal as money allows.

I think the N24 should be built to 2+2 status although I reckon we'll probably end up with a WS2 scheme. Given that it serves as a link between Limerick and Waterford it's would be a much better link for those two cities than the M20/N25 route via Cork, so it could justify the upgrade.

As for priority I would go with Pallasgreen > Cahir (or even Pallasgreen > Bansha) first followed by the Carrick-on-Suir/Kilsheelan bypass. Taking Tipperary/Bansha/Carrick/Kilsheelan out of the route would dramatically cut journey times.

Advertisement