Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fergus Finlay Throws Hat Into The Ring

• 10-09-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Fergus Finlay has thrown his hat into the ring and announced his intention to seek the Labour Party nomination for the Presdiential Election, which is due 2011.

The election is due sometime in Oct'11, as the current Presidents term expires 10 Nov'11.
    • Are posters surprised that Finlay has announced his intention to seek the nomination.
    • Do you think he'll get it over Michael D. and any other comers.
    • Is it too early to have declared candidates.

In some ways I'm surprised that Finlay has announced himself or maybe had himself announced, as the news came from a newspaper report and not from Finlay himself. I would not be surprised if a third man/woman were to come into the Labour reckoning.

I do think it's all too early for declared candidates. We'll have Christmas hubub in a few months and then people will have forgotten all about it for months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

I wonder how much more the Presidents meaningless job pays over the truckloads of dosh hes getting from Barnados. Still nice to see him willing to abandon the cause of the disabled,special needs,less privilaged, for a very nice little earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

doctorwu wrote: »
    I wonder how much more the Presidents meaningless job pays over the truckloads of dosh hes getting from Barnados. Still nice to see him willing to abandon the cause of the disabled,special needs,less privilaged, for a very nice little earner.

pull your claws back in Dr.:P

I'm not sure what CE of Barnardo's gets paid, I did a search and it threw up that he's 'excited the betting'. http://betzoo.co.uk/barnardos-boss-fergus-finlay-favourite-to-succeed-mary-mcaleese-to-become-next-president-of-ireland/

Michael McDowell is at 66/1, maybe worth a tenner:rolleyes:

His pay isn't detailed on here http://www.barnardos.ie/assets/files/Annual%20Review%202009%20Final.pdf maybe give him a ring.

I think he'd see the Presidency as a different form of advocacy, to use a sound-bitey phrase/word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

not surprised he has put himself forward at all , the role would certainly appeal to the mans vanity , we could expect a male version of mary robinson with him going around the world commenting on various hot button left wing issues

i hope he wins , then we wouldnt have to listen to the sanctimonious ubber PC liberal do - gooder so often on radio

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I think it is very early to be declaring for the job, by the time of the election he will either be sick of it or have dropped out, a year is a long time to be getting abuse from people, he is only human.

I think he is a bit serious(dull) for the job, there are enough moaners out there, we could do without one as President as well. Someone with a bit of wit would be nicer.

I would prefer Mick D. though I think David Norris is good too, Mick. D by a nose for me.

doctorwu wrote:
    I wonder how much more the Presidents meaningless job pays over the truckloads of dosh hes getting from Barnados.
    Still nice to see him willing to abandon the cause of the disabled,special needs,less privilaged, for a very nice little earner.

How much is truckloads?

[QUOTE=irishh_bob;
    i hope he wins , then we wouldnt have to listen to the sanctimonious ubber PC liberal do - gooder so often on radio[/QUOTE]

Reading the quotes from these two people, I would love to be as perfect as they must be,

doctorwu, you must be very saintly, doing lots of charity work.

irishh_bob, you sound very informed and level headed.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Norris, Norris! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I don't see anything wrong with Finlay being a serious guy, or close to Mary Robinson - who had approval ratings over 90% at one point in her presidency, despite being a serious woman...

As for running Barnardos, again, I don't see that as being a bad thing in the CV of a man running for president - he has come out and said that he sees people daily who are suffering because of this mess we're in, and I think that that understanding - and not just intellectual understanding - of it is important.

I'd be of two minds between him and Norris. Norris is the candidate who I think would most be a thumb at the establishment of Irish politics and the golden circle, and he is truly charismatic.

Finlay is a lot more visibly 'in' with the establishment, having served Dick Spring in government and so forth, but he comes with a lot of serious credentials also as a social equality campaigner in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Finlay would be excellent. My No. 2 would be tied between him and Michael D. Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Evie Future Creature

doctorwu wrote: »
    Still nice to see him willing to abandon the cause of the disabled,special needs,less privilaged, for a very nice little earner.
    It's always the hurlers on the ditch that are quickest to criticise. The man has done more for the less fortunate during his lifetime than most.

Non-job and all that the presidency might be if somebody has to get it I'd prefer him to that fool Norris (thankfully Norris hasn't a snowball's chance of getting a nomination).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Norris was on the radio this morning talking about how 10k signatures were required to be allowed enter the race. He has 30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

kbannon wrote: »
    Norris was on the radio this morning talking about how 10k signatures were required to be allowed enter the race. He has 30k.

The only way a person can run is if they're nominated twenty Oireachtas members or else four county/city councils. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fair enough

kbannon wrote: »
    fair enough

Thank god, you gave me a fright there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Would prefer Michael D., if his strident anti US rhetoric were dropped.

Finlay, like Robinson, would take himself too seriously - boring.

Norris - would present a very liberal image of this country abroad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

nuac wrote: »

The red tops will have a field day. Stuff about electing a new "monarch", so to speak, although there is a certain appeal to electing a man who sued Ireland for breaches of human rights and won now becoming president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

nuac wrote: »
    Would prefer Michael D., if his strident anti US rhetoric were dropped.

Finlay, like Robinson, would take himself too seriously - boring.

Norris - would present a very liberal image of this country abroad

But Bertie has done that already, taking his current mistress with him on State visits, something no other leader has done or would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Essexboy wrote: »
    Norris - would present a very liberal image of this country abroad

But Bertie has done that already, taking his current mistress with him on State visits, something no other leader has done or would do!

However, he never divorced his wife. Always trying to have it both ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Finlay ?

Always a bit mixed feelings about this cove..Labour Party think tank supremo....he has all the attributes(beard).

Obviously well in with the leftie Montrose set...always poppin up on discussion progs.

Probably gets paid a good wedge from Bernardos...what precisely + fringies would be interestin to know.

Probably feel under appreciated and in need of a good pension top up...hence interest in The PRESIDENCY.

Bit of an OPPORTUNIST this poster would strongly opine ..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

Finlay ?

Always a bit mixed feelings about this cove..Labour Party think tank supremo....he has all the attributes(beard).

Obviously well in with the leftie Montrose set...always poppin up on discussion progs.

Probably gets paid a good wedge from Bernardos...what precisely + fringies would be interestin to know.

Probably feel under appreciated and in need of a good pension top up...hence interest in The PRESIDENCY.

Bit of an OPPORTUNIST this poster would strongly opine ..:P

Can't see him getting elected to be honest, he's a divisive figure who would be dragged into too many pitched battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Finlay was a big disappointment. He was a great white hope of the Labour Party and he fizzled out. I see his tenure as president as nothing more than an ego filled swan song to his career.
    Michael D. is streets ahead of him, but I could see him stepping aside to give Finlay a jant.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

hawley wrote: »
    Can't see him getting elected to be honest, he's a divisive figure who would be dragged into too many pitched battles.

Maybe this just hindsight speaking but I really can't see him winning the 2011 Presidental election either or even getting the nomination to stand as a candiate.

My moneys on Michael D for what it's worth. If you want to enter into a wager hawley let me know as I'll be happy to facilitate.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Anyone replying should probably take into account the fact that the thread is eight years old and just got suddenly resurrected...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭mikep

He was on newstalk with Ivan yesterday and although I missed most of the conversation but the bit I heard sounded as if he was actively considering it..putting out feelers maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

mikep wrote: »
    He was on newstalk with Ivan yesterday and although I missed most of the conversation but the bit I heard sounded as if he was actively considering it..putting out feelers maybe??

He said he would run if Michael D was stepping aside, but would not run against him.

mikep wrote: »

He said that he wouldn't run if MDH ran again. Make of that what you will.

I was only half listening as well so I can't say if he was pressed further i.e. "so you're saying you would run if MDH doesn't"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

He said that he wouldn't run if MDH ran again. Make of that what you will.

I was only half listening as well so I can't say if he was pressed further i.e. "so you're saying you would run if MDH doesn't"

He was soapboxing about the patriarchy, male privilege and entitlement in the Irish Examiner this week. A lot of people are sick of this stuff so can see him being quite a polarising character in the Presidential election.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

We don't need another MDH term, enough is enough. It's time for David Norris tbh.

Edit: actually, scratch that - Norris is too good for the Áras... Norris for Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fergus Finlay, has said he would be interested in running for president if President Michael D Higgins did not seek re-election. An election is due to be held in October but if no candidates are put forward President Higgins will be re-elected without a contest, if he decides he wants another seven-year stint in Áras an Uachtar.
    Finlay, who is retiring from his role in Barnardos this year, had previously sought the Labour nomination for presidency in 2011. However, the party chose Higgins as their candidate.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/fergus-finlay-presidential-election-3965983-Apr2018/

Even if Michael D wants to stay, presumably Finlay could still run as an independent, if he gathered enough signatures. But he'd be running with more competition, and less confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

recedite wrote: »

Even if Michael D wants to stay, presumably Finlay could still run as an independent, if he gathered enough signatures. But he'd be running with more competition, and less confidence.

Michael D has been a wonderful representative for the Irish people, and I'd happily vote for him again. When you think we nearly had the Bagman, we had a really fortunate escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

recedite wrote: »

The incumbent President nominates themself, so Finlay could get a Labour nomination too.

That said, anyone who decided to run against Michael D would be on a hiding to nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement