Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beasty braves the Hurricane!!!

• 06-09-2010 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Fair play Beasty!!
    passed you on way to work today. I was nice and dry in my car and couldn't help but admire you for cycling today in such bad weather!!
    Hope you made it in ok?!
    Have you switched to winter tyres? lots of wet leaves on those roads in today.
    You've put me to shame!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cycling in this mornings weather, your crazy beasty :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was quite fun actually - it was a cross/head wind all the way, and I simply took it a bit easier than normal, which meant it was actually a bit more relaxing than my usual TT! I still did it 10 minutes faster that I could with a tailwind a couple of years ago

In terms of tyres, I used Gatorskins last winter, but their grip is not the best, so I sticking with the GP 4000s for now

Tonight I may be looking for a new record (assuming the traffic is not too bad at the new development at Turvey)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Fair play to you. I'm normally an all weathers type but I wimped out and got the Dart this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only mad person out today. I have never seen so few cyclists on the way in. Also looking forward to a new PB home if I can get the gear dried out a bit.

PS -forgot to add that I should have had my lights with me. Was totally caught out with how dark it became. Remounting them tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

this is the trouble with not looking out the window in the morning... soaked. plus dry weather fashion tyres are not great crossing yellow box junctions...

good fun though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Beasty wrote: »
    In terms of tyres, I used Gatorskins last winter, but their grip is not the best, so I sticking with the GP 4000s for now
    I got them a while back too (replaced the Schwalbe Lugano's that came with the Cayo). This is the first proper rain test and definitely liking them so far.

I did 100k yesterday and the commute today and the grip has been flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Didn't I pick a great first day ever to cycle to work on a newly purchased bike! I suppose if I can make it in this morning I'll make it in on the good days.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I have never seen so few cyclists on the way in.

I only came across three in total on my commute, and two of them were on Dame Street! Quite refreshing first thing although I think the waterproofness on my jacket is on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Oh I don't know how to break it to Beasty that we might do some spinning instead of outdoor stuff for this winters training. It's just not going to be hardcore enough for him......

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »
    Oh I don't know how to break it to Beasty that we might do some spinning instead of outdoor stuff for this winters training. It's just not going to be hardcore enough for him......
    You can spin your wheels until your heart's content (that presumably leads on to knitting little cotton socks in your case), but I'll be trying to stick to the roads and velodrome (the one in the garage!) this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Fair play to everyone who rode in today, grand morning for cycling; only a slight headwind! The real problems start when we have a day like today, but in January :D

I only passed two other cyclists on the way in, including one poor sod who was replacing a puncture in Santry. Now THAT guy I felt sorry for... a timely reminder to put the Marathon Plus' back on for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

yeah Beasty you stay on the roads all winter. It's not like you've ever had any accidents in dark roads in crappy conditions or anything!!!!

Beasty's Drop (currently being reconfigured into a roundabout) and Beasty's Hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Nice empty Clontarf Psychle Path this morning. Cross/tailwind for me so there'll be a bit of a battle on the way home.

Rain gear performed beautifully...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Nice empty Clontarf Psychle Path this morning. Cross/tailwind for me so there'll be a bit of a battle on the way home.

Rain gear performed beautifully...

Yeah my rain-gear performed well today also. Though i did get a bit wet running from the car to the front door of the office! :D Beasty ya mad thing...!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

It's just a bit of rain and a bit of wind. Floods? Now, that's a different matter. I'll take me hat off to anyone who can swim through a flood with a bike, even if it only weighs 6kg.

rughdh wrote: »
    It's just a bit of rain and a bit of wind. Floods? Now, that's a different matter. I'll take me hat off to anyone who can swim through a flood with a bike, even if it only weighs 6kg.
    asian-rain-umbrella-bike-fail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

silvo wrote: »
    I only came across three in total on my commute, and two of them were on Dame Street! Quite refreshing first thing although I think the waterproofness on my jacket is on the way out.

I only saw two (usually see 6+) going through the Park this morning. Both female - doesn't say much for the hardiness of the men!

I use Vittoria Pave (the green ones). Great tire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Was out Saturday with a mate and while going past city west on the way towards Tallaght waved to a group of maybe 5 or 6. Coming through Tallaght just before the stadium saw lightening then heard the clap of thunder. We decided to press on anyway. Then the heavens opened and the most unreal downpour I'd ever been caught in took hold. We decided to turn back and hot foot it back up the N81. By the time we were coming to the Jobstown house we met the group again who'd obviously turned back.

We signalled to them that thats it, time to go home, I think they said don't go up that way but we'd no choice we were heading for home in Blessington. The surface water was unreal and we got absolutely soaked.

That said two things stood out to me.
    1) I never realised my TT was that good as we tore back to Blessington in a mini two man team tt.
    2) The €17.99 Lidl rain jacket bought only two weeks ago did me proud. Great product for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

it a horrible day, but not the worst for cycling. no reason to not get out ther this morning. its only water boys. personally i cant wait for thwe cycle home.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Shaping up nicely for the trip home:

attachment.php?attachmentid=126710&stc=1&d=1283783650

Days like these I wonder if fitness is worth it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Saw some poor unfortunate on the old airport road approaching the Woodies Swords roundabout at 17:30, did not envy him at all! Blowing a gale and a biblical deluge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I came off nights last night and had to cycle home at 6am in the thick of it, no matter how good rain gear i have i dont enjoy it !

Inquitus wrote: »
    Saw some poor unfortunate on the old airport road approaching the Woodies Swords roundabout at 17:30, did not envy him at all! Blowing a gale and a biblical deluge!
    If heading out of town it may well have been me again! Conditions were worse going home than coming in because of the amount of surface water, and the wind had turned to ESE from the promised SSE/SE! Still, wasn't too bad as I was taking it easy again.

Now only 2,814km to go to this year's 10,000km target:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Here's my claim for todays' unlucky sod of the day.

I was also looking forward to braving the elements on the way home.

Headed out and quite enjoyed the pull along the clontarf cycles path - nice and warm even if I was soaked. Then.....

Just at the lights near baldoyle the rear wheel siezed. The support for the rear derailleur/chain tensioner snapped. Thankfully was just pulling away from the lights at the time. Twenty minutes in the lashing rain until the cavalry arrived in the form of Lady NeedMoreGears.

Now worried I won't get it repaired before Lough Rea Tri on Sunday.

@cdaly - what wet gear do you have. My LIDL top wasn't bad but not fully waterproof and I don't have leggings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

No leggings for me. My post on 'rate your raingear'...
    The rain jacket I got from Border City Cycles 2 years ago. Stays dry in anything so far including 100k of sodden SwordsCC sportive last June...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Will take a day for my shoes to dry out. Bus for me tomorrow :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah, I got hammered today aswell, both ways. Kit all dried out now. dhb overshoes kept the socks dry which was nice. Was considering wearing my PRO overshoes but the cheapos worked OK. 3/4 tights obviously soaked and inside of rain jacket wet / sweat, but no big deal.
    Better than sitting in the car for 45 mins. Cycle in in 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

all the cycling your doing must be the reason that you're only catching up with 11 year old threads now...

Advertisement