Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dormer - Upstairs Internal Walls

• 30-08-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Probably a silly question :confused: - i have hollowcore put in, and the full height internal walls upstairs are blocked - the question is, what about the lowerwall that meets the slope of the roof, should this be blocked, or studded?
    If it should be studded, would that be part of the 2nd fix?
    Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

turnfan wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Probably a silly question :confused: - i have hollowcore put in, and the full height internal walls upstairs are blocked - the question is, what about the lowerwall that meets the slope of the roof, should this be blocked, or studded?
    If it should be studded, would that be part of the 2nd fix?
    Thanks in advance for your advice!

Under the purlin is usually studded. 1st fix I'd say, roofers should put them in cos they're part of the structure of the roof to stop the rafters sagging. They should be in before slating imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The use of blockwork or timber will be decided at planning stage or at least at Construction drawing stage, prior to construction on site.

OP this question is very specific to your house design & its factors - design, spans, roof structure etc making it difficult to answer here without knowing lots of other details.

I think you should resolve this issue with your Certifier / Designer or retain the opinion of a Structural Engineer with full PI insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

Thanks guys, I'll relook at the plans, the answer is probably there! I thought they would be part of first fix timber, it's a standard small dormer, nothing fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Thanks guys, I'll relook at the plans, the answer is probably there! I thought they would be part of first fix timber, it's a standard small dormer, nothing fancy.

Are the rafters up? I've done alot of roofing and on a straightforward dormer all we used to do is put in a 9 x 3 purlin and stud underneath it with 4 x 2 s, cutting a notch out of the top of the studs so that an inch of the stud runs up behind the purlin so it can be nailed into the back.. Wall usually round 4ft high so you can put a slab on its side and screw it on...That was our approach anyway Im sure there are plenty with a different way..

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

You see the original plan was for timber joists, but I revised that to hollowcore and revised the foundations etc, carpenter was aware of this before getting the timber list. Think it was a case of blocklayers and chippy both 'assuming' that the other would do it. Not enough attention to detail on my part tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

You see the original plan was for timber joists, but I revised that to hollowcore and revised the foundations etc, carpenter was aware of this before getting the timber list. Think it was a case of blocklayers and chippy both 'assuming' that the other would do it. Not enough attention to detail on my part tbh.

You should get an engineer to check all your details and loadings now.

De.Lite.Touch.

Advertisement