Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you make your views known to people who matter?

• 05-08-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before but I've been reading here for a while can can't help but notice as soon as a Infrastructure project is announced some arm chair expert will chime in with reason why the project won't work, isn't needed ,should be different or could be merged with something else.

Now my question is do many of you epically the ones who seem to have all these great ideas as soon as the plans are announced ever make your view known during the public consultation , directly via email/phone , the press or local TD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think most of the projects currently under construction were at the "view-giving" (i.e. public consultation) stage in the early 2000s before I developed an interest in Infrastructure. I have offered views on the M20 Motorway Scheme; so far, that's been all. I frequently harass TDs and the NRA about landscaping and signage issues though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I have e-mailed and telephoned the relevant authorities to air my views on numerous occassions. I actually inspected the M20 EIS in person at the Cork County Hall when it was published and have attended a number of public consultations in the past. Furet and myself made an effort to get an interview of sorts with a senior official in the NRA (Fred Barry) a number of months back, where members of this board would be invited to ask questions and make views known. Unfortunately we were ultimately unable to achieve this, but I think this showcases that a concerted effort is made to get in touch with those in control and air our views.

There are others who post here who have done far more than I have. Don't assume everyone is an "armchair expert" when they post their opinion, many people who post here are far better informed and far more proactive than the typical ranter who whinges about the situation in the pub.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of my local government TDs is crocked and realistically should have resigned by now to allow someone without a debilitating disease take his seat, I whine at the other one often enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Sorry if this has been posted before but I've been reading here for a while can can't help but notice as soon as a Infrastructure project is announced some arm chair expert will chime in with reason why the project won't work, isn't needed ,should be different or could be merged with something else.

Now my question is do many of you epically the ones who seem to have all these great ideas as soon as the plans are announced ever make your view known during the public consultation , directly via email/phone , the press or local TD.

Absolutely and I try to encourage people to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

interesting thread, OP, and funny timing as this week was the first time I engaged directly with my local TD with dissatisfaction over the failed delivery of a promised infrastructure development, the failure of which I only heard about on Boards.ie(fyi, the failure of Hansfield train station to open (even though it is completed) at the same time as Dunboyne/Pace train stations when the Clonsilla to Pace line opens next month - due to developer in charge of providing it not completing the access roads to the station). My local TD got correspondence from IE senior mgt re situation and said he is now going to chase developer and apply media pressure if a satisfactory response on when it will open is not provided.In general, boards.ie can be like an online version of the "conversation in the pub" to allow people to express opinions/thoughts/criticisms without necessarily following up on them with action/protests/campaigns. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people who never use boards.ie but actively campaign/protest for infrastructural devs/changes etc and likewise there are those who may have not pursued an issue until they realised how many others shared their opinion on boards which gave them impetus to take it further than just a rant on this forum. Finally, there are those who may not have even been aware of an infrastructural development or it's impact until they came onto this forum and have taken action on the back of what they learned here. Therefore I think Boards is useful in this respect.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Finally, there are those who may not have even been aware of an infrastructural development or it's impact until they came onto this forum and have taken action on the back of what they learned here. Therefore I think Boards is useful in this respect.

I agree with this. Discussion of Infrastructure is not something that tends to come up in conversation all that often, at least in any sort of great depth. This forum gives an excellent venue to express views, obtain further information and indeed may give impetus to take action.

Perhaps we could encourage this more by having a sticky of relevant e-mails, telephone numbers, postal addresses and whatnot of various bodies that oversee development of our Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I have e-mailed and telephoned the relevant

There are others who post here who have done far more than I have. Don't assume everyone is an "armchair expert" when they post their opinion, many people who post here are far better informed and far more proactive than the typical ranter who whinges about the situation in the pub.
    I don't assume every one is. I know a good few here know there stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I would either email a TD or the organization normally. Nothing usually happens though :/

Interesting the people who say they've contacted someone are would appear at least to me not the ones who blast every project as soon as the details are announced or the.

Interesting the people who say they've contacted someone are would appear at least to me not the ones who blast every project as soon as the details are announced or the.

Well all I can really say on that is that people are entitled to express their views as long as they're prepared to discuss and explain them. We certainly do not tolerate soapboxing or repeating a single view ad infinitum without entertaining discussion.

Anyway, Furet and myself have started a new sticky which will have comprehensive contact details for all major agencies involved in Infrastructure provision and maintenence, as well as the relevant politicians and spokespeople.

It can be found Here.

• Advertisement

BluntGuy wrote: »
    It can be found Here.

Cool new thread, look good . Thanks all that replied

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I attended an open day on the MN in that hotel (can't rememeber the name of it) on the airport road in Whitehall and put forward my tuppence worth.

Oh, and I vote. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I would either email a TD or the organization normally. Nothing usually happens though :/
    I did this several times my Local TD's and all Local Councillors. Only 1 responded to my emails and that was a little known councillor. He has my vote the next time as he display some in depth knowledge in his reply. But In reality he has very little support (looking at previous election results).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

OP - I do all the time. But find it makes little difference. Public conultation is pure lip service in particular on things like local area plans. They file away the observations and give you teachers know best lip service. It is not a waste of time because at least the historians will see some people cared but weren't listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

westtip wrote: »
    OP - I do all the time. But find it makes little difference. Public conultation is pure lip service in particular on things like local area plans. They file away the observations and give you teachers know best lip service. It is not a waste of time because at least the historians will see some people cared but weren't listened to.

You have made a very interesting point there and I agree with it. While I would never discourage anyone from making their views known to those that matter, my own personal experience over the years has generally lead me to believe that it makes little difference. However I am proud of one particular infrastructural change that I know I assisted and thats the re-routing of Metro North to integrate with heavy rail in Drumcondra. The history books will say that in late 2003 two lads from a fledgling lobby group called Platform 11 were invited by O'Reilly consultants to discuss the routing of metro north before any route options were made public. The one glaringly obvious omission from the routes we were shown was the lack of an interchange with the Maynooth surburban line despite metro passing under it. We opted for an interchange at Glasnevin junction, but thats a story for another day.:D

It was probably easier for us because we had created a media profile and were known to the people who matter. But its a lot more difficult for an interested individual to gain access to the mechanisms away from public view. Its here that the real decisions are taken.

Advertisement