Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Best of luck to all you boardies. Its been a real education over the past couple of months. Hope ye all have a great race. Just packed the car and am all set to leave in the morning. Cursing my new pump- it reaches the correct pressure easily but loses loads before i've detached the pump. Anyway at this stage it'll do.
    I'm starting in 7.30 wave-slight mullet and dodgy looking moustache- say hi if you notice me.
    Looking forward to all the reports on Monday. BTW i'm aiming for circa 5 hrs:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

watergal wrote: »
    I hope I get to meet some of you over the weekend - I'm staying in the Castlecourt Hotel Friday and Saturday. My two sisters, and my two daughters are coming down on the train on Saturday to cheer me over the finish line (or visit me in Castlebar Hospital, according to my elder sister!) So keep an eye out for us, and identify yourselves to us!

I'll be in the castlecourt too. I'm sure no matter how much pain I'm in I'll manage to shuffle to the bar in the afternoon/early evening Sat & get some grub in too, so don't be a stranger !

am having my dinner at 6.30 on Fri night in the restaurant...couldn;t get 7pm :(

Bloody hell! I never thought I'd have to book in advance for dinner on Friday night! I hope i can get in. If I do it will probably be early, like you Watergal, so how will I know you?

I'm hoping to leave Celbridge before lunchtime, so I expect to get to Killary mid afternoon, then Delphi, then Westport around 5ish? I'm quite tall, skinny, and my username should tell you that I'm of the older persuasion! I'd love to put faces to the names here. We're booked in to An Port Mór restaurant for dinner on Saturday at 6.30, so I'd be on for heading to John Ging's later, seeing as it's recommended by a local. I'm sure every pub will be packed, so it will be a question of where we can get in, and get a drink without being crushed!

That's brilliant about the TV relay - is it true?

Good luck everyone!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Just checked with Hotel Westport, breakfast will start at 8am.
    Not much good, I'll be on a bus at that stage.

Just a heads up for anyone else there, you might wanna make sure you
    have your own brekkie.

For those that have already registered and done the bike drop,
    how long do you reckon it takes ?
    Obviously it'll get some bit slower later on today with the crowds,
    but just to have an idea would be great.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

have your own brekkie.

According to others they are doing early breakfasts

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67485342&postcount=948

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

For those that have already registered and done the bike drop,
    how long do you reckon it takes ?
    Obviously it'll get some bit slower later on today with the crowds,
    but just to have an idea would be great.

When I got to Killary itself that took maybe 10 mins by the time was parked to registering for the pack and then the timing device.

Then it took maybe 15 mins to get over to Delphi, there were only 3 other cars when I got there, parked up, took the bike out of car, put on the wheel, water, helmet and shoes, got it on rack and back in the car, about 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I think it would be wise to have dinner tonite and breakfast for tom sorted... You might find your hotel only has white bread, or whatever- I have a very clear nutrition plan and therefore i'll be responsible for it myself.. I've my pasta cooked up for tonite already.. The LAST thing you want is to be stuck with a chipper dinner tonite and a breakfast bar in the am.

Twas the main reason i went for self catering (harbourmill appts), as i've been shafted in the past- for eg the achill roar last yr, there wasnt a SHOP or restaurant open, my pre race dinner was chips and vinegar in the achill head hotel, spew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Arjan

Talk about being obsessed... got my tri-shorts in the mail yesterday from this Irish bicycle webshop (just giving m a bit of SEO love). One day delivery.. thank god for that! Obsessed as I am... I wore them all day at work underneath my jeans, just to loosen them up for Saturday :p

So we're heading out at 3pm from Dublin (Ballsbridge). We have 2 spaces left in the car if anyone needs a spot? Could also take someone back Sunday night if needed.

As regards to preparation: you guys are way ahead of me. Have bought Nuun tablets and gels and bars and have only once ever taken a gel. So I have no clue what to take when and if I should maybe just leave m and go for what I usually take: Snickers and water
    What do u guys think?

Arjan

Once you start taking the gels, you shoudl take them every subsequent 30 mins- to avoid a blood sugar collapse- so i have 3 on me, will be taking them 120 mins from the end...

i'm leaving from ballsbridge too, but about an hour ahead of you. took a half day, was gonna go after work but the excitement is too much, i cant contain myself, just cant wait to get down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Just heading from Cork, good luck all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

This forum has been a super resource over the last few months, and here's looking forward to the post-event reports!

I'm local so went over to registration last night. Was pretty painless (10 mins in Killary, 10 mins at Delphi), although I shudder to think how busy the bike drop-off area is going to be tonight. Get there as early as you can to give yourself the best chance. For those travelling from Dublin - going to Galway first is definitely the best idea. As someone said, the way home will be different - via Castlebar.

Tomorrow night will be great crack in town... we'll all be going around trying to spot the fellow GFers.

This is my first time, and I've done about as much training as I could fit in around 2 small kids, work, etc, etc - nowhere near as much as many others, but hey. Going to aim for a sub-5.45 time...

The very best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

have your own brekkie.

They've been advertising early breakfasts for a couple of months now and in the post linked to above a previous poster got confirmation. It better still be the case !

Safe trip everyone and I hope the weather improves, it's been raining all morning here at my half way transition point in the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cheerilee

Good luck everyone for tomorrow
    Im not doing the race but am planning on doing a smaller one next year(maybe one of the Roar sport ones) but the enthusiasm here is so inspiring it really pushes me on to get back to training :)
    hope everything goes well
    wonka girl your enthusiasm is so infectious :) hope the rain stays off
    enjoy :)I'm actually slightly envious of everyone doing it!

Cheerilee

Weather is kak at the minute, really strong wind, not sure if its a South Westerly, hard to gauge and the odd shower.
    Hopefully this will have blown itself out.

Safe journey to all and good luck with the event, watch yourselves coming down Sheffrey and the Reek, we don't want anyone injured :)

yop wrote: »
    According to others they are doing early breakfasts

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67485342&postcount=948

Cheers Yop, I'm not too sure now.
    Think I'll bring a few bits with me anyways just to be safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Windy and wild in the West!!
    Hope it's behind us tomorrow!

Off to register soon....getting excited/nervous!!

Roll on 5.30am!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Arjan wrote: »
    Obsessed as I am... I wore them all day at work underneath my jeans, just to loosen them up for Saturday :p

So we're heading out at 3pm from Dublin (Ballsbridge). We have 2 spaces left in the car if anyone needs a spot? Could also take someone back Sunday night if needed.

I wore my new tri-suit all yesterday evening underneath a t-shirt and shorts, it was actually pretty comfortable!

I'd love a lift back on the Sunday if possible, I'll pm you my mobile number
    Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Arjan

i'm leaving from ballsbridge too, but about an hour ahead of you. took a half day, was gonna go after work but the excitement is too much, i cant contain myself, just cant wait to get down!!

Also leaving from Ballsbridge, at about 15.30. Could have had a nice little convoy going down! I've the full day off work, but unfortunately my friend who is driving down can't get out till later. Would prefer to be in work at the moment to be honest, the nerves are killing me with nothing to do.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They've been advertising early breakfasts for a couple of months now and in the post linked to above a previous poster got confirmation. It better still be the case !

Safe trip everyone and I hope the weather improves, it's been raining all morning here at my half way transition point in the midlands.

Cheers Yop, I'm not too sure now.
    Think I'll bring a few bits with me anyways just to be safe ;)

Just rang them again and got confirmation there will be early breakfast.
    Porridge, fruit, cereals, tea and coffee from 4:30am

Might still bring my own anyways, I'm in a later wave and may be nothing left after the other savages loading up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good luck to everyone. See you all out there. Say hello if you get the chance out there!

and remember.... enjoy yerselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Best of luck to all, might see some of ye at the WEE film festival tonite in Westport and tomoro on the beach.

• Advertisement

Wreck wrote: »
    Also leaving from Ballsbridge, at about 15.30. Could have had a nice little convoy going down! I've the full day off work, but unfortunately my friend who is driving down can't get out till later. Would prefer to be in work at the moment to be honest, the nerves are killing me with nothing to do.

Oh that's a real pain, could you not leave now and send your pal with Arjan?:) The hanging around must be a hole in the head, and you cant even go for a run!

Looks like there's great stuff going on in westport this weekend with the festival, i'd've LOVED to have seen the Joe Simpson talk last nite, pity they didnt hold that one off until tonite.

There's abseiling and all sorts going on, would love to hang around on Sunday but i've to be back for 2 bells.

ETA- Joe simpson talk IS on tonite- at 5pm- RAGING i wont make it!! woudl absolutely love that.

Fitzi et al, there's a bike maintenance class tomorrow afternoon, in the crescent- wherever that is! from 12noon to 4.. will be too fooked to care about my bike at that stage, pity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Peterx wrote: »
    Best of luck to all, might see some of ye ........ tomoro on the beach.

Ha ha, the beach will be the only time most of us will see you during the race !

Peterx wrote: »
    Best of luck to all, might see some of ye at the WEE film festival tonite in Westport and tomoro on the beach.

the rest of us wont be able to walk to the beach tomoro peter!! by the time we're finishing you'll've had a lie down and probably a gentle run to ease the ailing muscles:)

must check out the festival schedule actually to see what's on tonite.. planning on being registered and fed by 7pm..

Enduro wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone. See you all out there. Say hello if you get the chance out there!

and remember.... enjoy yerselves :D

you will be having the spuds by the time most of us have realised that we are even running :)

Good luck tomorrow yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

Bloody hell! I never thought I'd have to book in advance for dinner on Friday night! I hope i can get in. If I do it will probably be early, like you Watergal, so how will I know you?

well I'll be in the restaurant on my tod at 6.30 tonight ! other than than I'm about 5 ft 8, brown hair and will have a pair of jeans and a tshirt with animal from the muppets on it (today). Tomorrow I'll be at the bar after a shower with a pint of miller and some grub ! and I'm 37 so don't be looking for a 21 yr old !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck ppl. This thread has been great fun. Have a great race and enjoy it if you can. Hopefully meet some
    of ye for a pint and tall tales from the race.

Just on way down after almost missing train. Will let ye know how reg is. Based on last year, don't wear the runners you plan on racing in to reg. No
    fun putting soaked shoes on
    at 6am

we'll hardly spot each other over the wend given the 3000 taking part, but tonite i'll have grey tracksuit pants on, and a bright pink hoodie. 5'7 and bleached blonde. early 30s. (ok, ok, mid 30s, 34:D)

tomorrow i'm inthe 6.30 wave and will have a blue north face jacket on, and my waterpack says MACPAC (nz brand) on it.. i'll be head to toe in blue and my bike is blue as well.. :) say hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck ppl. This thread has been great fun and was a great build up to tomorrow. don't forget to look up once in a while, the scenery is stunning and might take your mind of those aching legs. Have a great race and enjoy it if you can. Hopefully meet some
    of ye for a pint and tall tales from the race.

Just on way down after almost missing train. Will let ye know how reg is. Based on last year, don't wear the runners you plan on racing in to reg. No
    fun putting soaked shoes on
    at 6am

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    don't wear the runners you plan on racing in to reg.

tks for reminding me of that nerraw... almost forgot to pack my wellies.. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

scrap the muppet tshirt- it's at the bottom of the laundry basket.

Have my roar.ie blue tshirt on instead !

Advertisement