Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Blisterman wrote: »
    Strange how there's dozens of photos of humans dying in unfortunate and tragic circumstances here, but pictures of a few birds dying gets a much more emotive response.

I guess because animals can't reach out and ask for help, they don't know what is dangerous and sometimes they can't avoid it either way. :(
    thebullkf wrote: »
    i thought this thread was about photo's that shook the world...???

That photo is of the victims of the worst car crash in Irelands history. The 8th person is not included for some reason.
    That photo was reported around various parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

check out earthlings narrated by joaquin pohoenix, animal rights doc. really heartrending stuff. another one called the cove about jap dolphin farms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DR Electrical

questioner wrote: »
    check out earthlings narrated by joaquin pohoenix, animal rights doc. really heartrending stuff. another one called the cove about jap dolphin farms.
    seen it i didint eat meet for a few days after seeing it..horrific:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seen it i didint eat meet for a few days after seeing it..horrific:eek:
    A few days? Good to see you're a man of principles.

actually i didnt eat meat for a few days after either. i must be a man of principles too:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

actually i didnt eat meat for a few days after either. i must be a man of principles too:rolleyes:
    So you were so horrified with the prospect of eating meat that you decided to give it up for a few days, but then thought, "Ah sure feck it, this bacon is damn tasty!"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

foxyboxer wrote: »
    rfk-conspiracy-test.jpg?w=640&h=482

robert_kennedy_assassination_wide.jpg

havent seen this pic before - can you let me know what its about?

latter half yes, but i wanted to see how hard it was to be a vegan - the answer is very hard. i think i lasted four days, then mcdonalds struck. with devastating effect...

you should check the film out and see if you feel comfortable eating meat directly after it. its a pretty shocking film. poignant score by moby too.

just because you try something new then fail after a few days doesnt mean you're lacking in principle - lacking in conviction perhaps but thats rather the rule than the exception nowadays, no?

anyway back on topic.. not sure what the provenance of the first one is but i think the second one is from new orleans after katrina.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

alibaba12 wrote: »

It's the assassination of Robert Kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

anyway back on topic.. not sure what the provenance of the first one is but i think the second one is from new orleans after katrina.

I'm nearly sure the second one is taking from the TV show Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
    The episode where Kim and Kourtney head down to see the devastation after hurricane Katrina and help out a family by building them a house or giving them money to build again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

Takk wrote: »
    <insert dr.bollocko going bollocko here>

love your sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

Iconic pictures are more effective then any story. Sometimes you see photographs that just take your breath away. The following photos; some famous, some infamous, did exactly that to me on first viewing.
    Feel free to add your own!

first class tread, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kenmonu wrote: »
    first class tread, cheers.
    Was there a real need to quote all those pictures?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure the second one is taking from the TV show Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
    The episode where Kim and Kourtney head down to see the devastation after hurricane Katrina and help out a family by building them a house or giving them money to build again.

I remember reading before that this pic was the nouveau rich cruising in Beirut after a bombing. The more I hear of differing stories the more i think: 'PHOTOSHOP!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

iss_shuttle_detailzoom-large.jpg
    Not exactly Earth changing but extremely cool. ISS and Space Shuttle Atlantis transiting the solar disc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I remember reading before that this pic was the nouveau rich cruising in Beirut after a bombing. The more I hear of differing stories the more i think: 'PHOTOSHOP!'

You were told correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

The 44th president of the US.
    ap_obama_oath_090120_mn.jpg

The Hollywood Blockbuster Explosion the never was..... Nissan Patrol laden with explosives that failed to detonate in Times square earlier this year.

times-square-bomb-scare.jpg

CERN`s Large Hadron Collider discovers the elusive Higgs Boson....
    CMS_Higgs-event_opt600x430.jpg

Civil war in Liberia........
    cole1.jpg

A state sanctioned fatwa against a British fiction novellist shook the world after Salman Rushdie wrote the Satanic verses.......

668c41749122e8917fe2d6b3dc14b59a_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

CERN`s Large Hadron Collider discovers the elusive Higgs Boson....
    CMS_Higgs-event_opt600x430.jpg

The Higgs bosun hasn't been found, by CERN or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...CERN`s Large Hadron Collider discovers the elusive Higgs Boson....
    CMS_Higgs-event_opt600x430.jpg...

The photo is a simulation of what the decay of a Higgs Boson particle would look like. The Higgs Boson hasn't been found yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sleezyandy

Just thought I would Share these personal pictures of my great grandfather and the circumstances of his death! A Real Irish Hero!

My Great Grandfather Frederick Kenny he is the 4th from the left with the second x over his head. This Picture was Taken in Killonan Easter 1916. If you look at the guns I think that they were just for training purposes and just basically carved from wood.

image%5C2000%5C20000177.jpg

This next one is the circumstances of his death
    image%5C2000%5C20000181.jpg

What I was told is that he was shot while raiding a barracks they had set fire to it and some of the volunteers were trapped inside the barracks after he had been shot. He carried another volunteer from the barracks to a safe house. The guy he saved not sure of the name actually lived to his 80's and his face was scared from the burns fire.

Now this next one is the and armband that he wore in his coffin and the flag that was placed on top of it.

image%5C2000%5C20000182.jpg

image%5C2000%5C20000184.jpg

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot! Just thought some of you would find this an interesting story!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

First Color Photograph [1861]
    Tartan_Ribbon.jpg
    The first color photo, an additive projected image of a tartan ribbon, was taken in 1861 by the Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Dead_owner_dog.jpg

A video of a similar event
    This story really gets to me everytime. It's no wonder they call dogs 'mans best friend'...

i HATE crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

alibaba12 wrote: »

It's Robert Kennedy just after he was shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Joe Luis

some of these pictures are really intense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Good programme on rte now called the scoop (i think) some of pics on this thread have been on it so far and a good back round to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Recent new stories that are still affecting the world

60224858-pakistan-floods.jpg

Pakistan Flood - affecting up to 4m people and has left at least 1600 dead

100824-chile-drill-hmed-330p.grid-5x2.jpg

Chile Miners - 33 miners trapped and may not be rescued until December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

9/11 themed photo reel

First plane to hit WTC - Flight 11
    WTC1stplanejustbeforeitcrashes.jpg

Flight 175 crashes into WTC Tower 2 @590mph approx
    6a00d8341e053453ef0120a5bb3f2d970c-800wi

168vgwp.jpg

TwinTowers.jpg

National_Park_Service_9-11_Statue_of_Liberty_and_WTC_fire.jpg

GW Bush, during a school visit, is advised by Chief of Staff Andrew Card, on live TV, that "A second plane hit the second tower. America is under attack."
    1.jpg

bushandcard.jpg

Flight 77 crashing into Pentagon from nearby cctv
    smoketrailC1.jpg

7ba332ee2261d0e9014939b9829e5b8b.jpg

Photograph of bodies found inside the Pentagon after Flight 77 crashed into the building.
    10cp4w6.jpg

Photograph taken on September 11, 2001, of a human body part located at the intersection of Albany and West Streets in Manhattan.
    2gwgwaw.jpg

Photo of Fireman Danny Suhr
    He was struck and killed by a falling body outside the south tower of the World Trade Center

2gt937o.jpg

After the first crash, the debris, plane parts and body parts were all over the area. Around the corner from this location, I saw an arm... It didn't occur to me how stupid it might be to walk toward the Towers at this moment. I got hit by some falling metal debris on the leg - luckily, only a slight burn (which I didn't realize I had until about midnight that night - goes to show I was running on adrenaline all day).
    vymg5t.jpg

34rbzgi.jpg
    bubbler.jpg

tbc...

Advertisement