Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Infrastructure/Roads Forum Boards Beers!

• 27-05-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm just wondering, with the near completion of the MIU motorways expected by late summer or early autumn (except for the M7), how would people feel about a meet-up in late August or early September? Nothing extravagant; just an informal few hours of chat and a few drinks in a nice pub that serves good food, etc.

In terms of location, how about Athlone? It's very central.

I'm just testing the water here of course, to see if many people would be interested in attending. The date won't be decided for definite for a while, and it will likely be impossible to find one that suits everyone, so how about I pick four possible dates and we'll see what might suit who.

21 August
    28 August
    4 September
    11 September

What date(s) suit you best for a meet-up in Athlone? 17 votes

Saturday, 21 August
    0%
    Saturday, 28 August
    41%
    L1011AmtmannPeadar06Tech3veryangrymanKevRpadz24 7 votes
    Saturday, 4 September
    29%
    L1011AmtmannKevReia340600Chris_5339762 5 votes
    Saturday, 11 September
    29%
    VictorL1011AmtmannKevRChris_5339762 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Saturday, 11 September
    I had to restart the thread to include the poll, which is multiple choice. Any of the above dates suit me.
    murphaph wrote: »
    How about Berlin? It's in the centre of Europe :D

Seriously, would be a great opportunity to meet likeminded people. How many of our circle of friends include "infrastructure" among their interests-not many I'm guessing. My GF simply doesn't understand how I can be interested in road signage, she thinks I'm crazy! :pac::pac::pac:

I won't be in Ireland on any of those dates but I wish you luck in getting something going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Saturday, 11 September
    I'd probably be up for his, would be interesting to meet some of you nutters :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Saturday, 11 September
    1st three suit, last date definitely doesn't.

Problem with it being a "beers" is that we're very, very scattered out... more of a "Becks NAs" probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Saturday, 11 September
    Count me in! At the moment, all of those dates suit me. Athlone as a venue suits me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'll check to see when I'm free.

• Advertisement

Saturday, 11 September
    MYOB wrote: »
    1st three suit, last date definitely doesn't.

Problem with it being a "beers" is that we're very, very scattered out... more of a "Becks NAs" probably!

Agreed. I'm not really a beer person anyway, so I'd be happy to have a few Becks or Coca-Colas. I might get a B&B, but Athlone is about a 1hr 45min drive from where I live, so driving home wouldn't be a problem. Also, if multiple people would be coming from the same direction I'm sure lift-sharing could be arranged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Saturday, 28 August
    Sounds like a good idea, wont be available for the two later weekends only the two in August. In terms of location Athlone aint too far away from me probably a lot further for other users though.

Saturday, 11 September
    The idea for Athlone is that it's dead central. We have lots of posters in the west, and quite a few from Dublin, so the M6 can help them there. Coming from the south and Limerick, the M7/M8 to Portlaoise and the Tullamore bypass lead to the M6. Waterford people I suppose will have to take the M9 to Dublin and the M6 thereafter.

That's the thinking anyway; we don't seem to have too many contributors from the north. Thoughts?

A trip down the WRC?

Saturday, 28 August
    Furet wrote: »
    That's the thinking anyway; we don't seem to have too many contributors from the north. Thoughts?

It's a good location. May take the long route for the drive from the N18-M6 to Athlone.

Something worth doing in the future is another concept of this. A charity drive around every MUI when completed would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I'll post it in this sticky thread and maybe some mod would kindly move to (or recommend) appropriate thread, please & thanks.

http://gizmodo.com/5560466/is-this-the-craziest-bridge-ever-designed

f

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Saturday, 28 August
    Its a long way from me but i think ill just about manage it - Kudos on the choice of venue :D

Saturday, 11 September
    Okay. Bump!

It's August, and hopefully people will have an idea of whether or not they'd like to come along.

Anyone from the South Tipp/East Limerick/North Cork area who'd like to come but who doesn't have wheels, send me a PM and I'll try to organise a lift for you.

Obviously the more the merrier, but even if it's just six or seven people it would still be great to get together for a drink and a chat. Some of us have been bantering back and forth here for the past two years or more after all!

Saturday, 11 September
    Is the date decided as the 21st?

I more than likely will make it. Not sure yet if I'll drive or take a bus/train though.

Saturday, 11 September
    I'll be driving anyway... I don't mind driving home at all hours. Just trying to get a venue suggestion from dolanbaker. You better make it Kev or I'll ban you.

Saturday, 28 August
    Hi Folks,

We have decided to with Saturday 28th of August for the date of the infrastructure forum beers. Those who decide to go can pm me, Furet and BluntGuy if Ye have any questions leading up to the event.

Also a venue has yet to be chosen in Athlone but we will pm the people who do decide to go where it will be held as soon as we know.

Looking forward to meeting all of you road nutters :-)

Saturday, 11 September
    I circulated a PM to some users earlier today (some, not all, because there's a limit on the amount of members you can PM at any one time) where I mistakenly said the 26th. As per above, it's the 28th.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Saturday, 11 September
    I'm going to be in Birmingham that day (I know I voted available but plans changed since) unfortunately.

Saturday, 11 September
    I'll be there.

Do we have any idea what time we will be meeting at? Will it be an afternoon(ish)/early evening start or will it be later in the evening? Just wondering because I will have to decide on transport.

Saturday, 11 September
    How about 7pm? I'm easy... wouldn't mind getting dinner there, so even six would be fine by me. Can someone recommend a decent spot in Athlone? Somewhere that's good for food and a chat?

• Advertisement

Saturday, 11 September
    6 or 7pm is fine with me. I'll have to decide whether to take the bus or drive.

The Prince of Wales hotel has carvery lunches and sandwiches during the day but I'm not sure what time they stop serving food at. Not a bad spot for a drink and a chat but they will probably start playing music as the evening goes on (i.e. - it will start getting noisy). I did used to work in Athlone but I never really eat out and only had a handful of nights out there so I'm not too sure where the best spots are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Sorry guys I wont be able to attend, I'll be working that evening. Hope ye all have a good night tho!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The fantabulous beergarden out the back of Seáns even allows for an infrastructural inspection of the Shannon locks that would take no more than 1 minute to complete ! Seáns website is infected with a script injection threat, don't go there.

Saturday, 11 September
    Yeah, agree about the Sean's Beer Garden being a great spot.

Saturday, 11 September
    Can you get food there?

Saturday, 11 September
    Furet wrote: »
    Can you get food there?

I'm not sure but I would be inclined to think that they don't serve food there. Could meet somewhere else and get a bite first and then move to Sean's or wherever else people want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Saturday, 28 August
    KevR wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I would be inclined to think that they don't serve food there. Could meet somewhere else and get a bite first and then move to Sean's or wherever else people want to go?

Seans dont do food.

If hard pressed, the old grump there will make you a pretty basic sandwich.

Was in there once asking for a sandwich and he roars over

"Oi Sam! Stop scratching yer arse over there and make this fella a sandwich" :eek:

In other news, ill be somewhere over the Atlantic that evening so wont be able to meet ye guys :(but ill try to make the next 1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cannot make this one, sorry. Have a scoop for me.

Saturday, 11 September
    So far

KevR, me, tech2, and spacetweek have confirmed attendance. Chris will you be there too? What about you BluntGuy?

• Advertisement

Saturday, 11 September
    Okay, we're going to meet at the Prince of Wales hotel car park at around 6pm. We'll get some food and have a few drinks. Location marked 'A'.

Advertisement