Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athletics books

• 08-08-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭

I've got quite into athletics and stuff recently and have been reading a few publications and the like. I'm currently finishing off Sonia O'Sullivan's book, and I'm going to start on Paula Radcliffe's and then another one about a guy called Jim Hogan. I also read Lance Armstrongs "its not about the bike" in one day last week, although I know he's technically not A/R/T

So I was wondering if people could recommend some other books of a similar sort? Books about runners and athletes and the like?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Born to Run...i will say no more.....really enjoyable read or listen if you get the audio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

This book about Steve Prefontaine is a must read for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Americas-Greatest-Running-Prefontaine/dp/0875964575

DO NOT buy Kelly Holmes autobiography. It is a terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Sosa wrote: »
    Born to Run...i will say no more.....really enjoyable read or listen if you get the audio

I had that book in my hand today in Eason's but I wasn't sure what it was about. I thought it was more of a technical book about running so I wasn't particularly interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I had that book in my hand today in Eason's but I wasn't sure what it was about. I thought it was more of a technical book about running so I wasn't particularly interested...

Anything but that. Easily the best of the running books I've read.

Other than that, there's Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes as well as many others...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

"Born to Run" is great.
    "Meditations from the Breakdown Lane" is good if you're into longer distances, or just interested.
    "Running through the Wall" is also good.
    "More Fire: How to run the Kenyan Way" I've only started this one.
    "My Life on the Run" by Bart Yasso
    "Ultramarathon Man" Dean Karnazes
    "Ultrarunning: My Story" by Mike Bouscaren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

From last to first - Charlie Spedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I've got quite into athletics and stuff recently and have been reading a few publications and the like. I'm currently finishing off Sonia O'Sullivan's book, and I'm going to start on Paula Radcliffe's and then another one about a guy called Jim Hogan. I also read Lance Armstrongs "its not about the bike" in one day last week, although I know he's technically not A/R/T

So I was wondering if people could recommend some other books of a similar sort? Books about runners and athletes and the like?

Cheers.

Have the Jim Hogan one and i must admit as an athletics book i wasn impressed to be honest few ones that i would recommend would be

Running with the Buffalos
    The Perfect Mile
    Sub 4 (Alan Webb Story)
    Bowerman

Possibly four of the best running books (for motivation) i have ever read and all based on real runners and stories from the race to be first sub four miler ever to US college runners

Also in terms of films if you can get them

Without Limits and Prefontaine about the same story but both good in there own way though personally i am a Without Limits fan thru and thru

Also Chris Lear probably one of the best athletes books writers out there so any of his books are generally good

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fiddy3

Read Once a Runner, a novel, but it features probably the most realistic description of running ever written. Tops the bill in my book. Radcliffe's autobiography is solid, kelly Holmes's is poor, duel in the sun and running with the buffaloes are both very good, I found the bowerman book dull in many parts. Best efforts by kenny moore is another good one. I wouldn't read anything by Dean Karnazes, the guy is an egotistical knobhead who exaggerates his achievements. Born to Run is okay, but didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be, haile's biography ain't great. On the cycling front, if you've any interest, read tour de force by daniel coyle, easily the best cycling book i've read, (yes, even better than lance's "heroic" :rolleyes: tale).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

xebec wrote: »
    Other than that, there's Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes as well as many others...

Good read but full of $hite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 athlete123

Anyone know where i can get Michael Johnson's autobiography? Heard it was very good but cant seem to find a copy of it anywhere:(:confused:......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Wasn't impressed with Jim hogan book myself. He wrote it himself with no ghost writer and while this is commendable it has no structure.

The bowerman book is ok. Is very slow to get going as there is basically a few chapters of American history at the start to get through.

I read a book by Michael Johnson, "slaying the dragon" I think. It was basically motivational book. Was really painful avoid if at all possible.

Duel in the sun is a great book as is the dick bardsley autobiography.

Found radcliffes a little dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Most or all of these already mentioned... I would definitely recommend them.

'Pre' Tom Jordan
    'Running with the Buffaloes' - Chris Lear
    'The Long Hard Road' - Ron Hill
    'From Last to First' - Charlie Spedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Charlie Francis - Speed Trap. The inside track on the Ben Johnson affair, by his coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Plus one on Born to Run, a class book.

Also I just finished 'Barefoot runner'. Its about the life of Ibebe Bikila, the first African to win an olympic gold (marathon). Its not only about his running and training etc, but also a good insight into 1950's Etheopia and the sh1t that went on there with the King and the military trying to overthrow him.. Really enjoyable read..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

How much was it in Eason's? And is it the one by Christopher McDougall or Michael Morpurgo? Just looking at amazon here.

Any recommendations for a good read for a first marathon? As a long term goal..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

I've read a few athletics books, mostly biographies/ autobiographies as the technical running books don't really interest me.

Eamon Coughlan: Chairman of the Boards (Excellent book! I've read it twice!)
    Sonia O' Sullivan: My Story (very average...doesn't reveal a whole lot)
    Haile Gebrselaisse: The Greatest (I was expecting alot of this book so it was very disappointing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Just started "Sebastian Coe Comming back" last night . Chapter 8 is called..Who said i'm finished...:) think thats going to be my new moto..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Good read but full of $hite

Can't disagree with that. Really enjoyed reading the book, have learned a lot more about ultrarunning and Dean Karnazes himself since reading it...
    claralara wrote: »
    How much was it in Eason's? And is it the one by Christopher McDougall or Michael Morpurgo? Just looking at amazon here.

The one being referred to here is Christopher McDougall's book. (Mopurgo's book is clearly about a dog ;))

shels4ever wrote: »
    Just started "Sebastian Coe Comming back" last night . Chapter 8 is called..Who said i'm finished...:) think thats going to be my new moto..

I can't find that on Amazon. Is it an old release?

I can't find that on Amazon. Is it an old release?

yep 1984 isbn 0-283-99185-2

http://www.amazon.com/Sebastian-Coe-Coming-David-Miller/dp/0283991852/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281381116&sr=1-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

xebec wrote: »
    The one being referred to here is Christopher McDougall's book. (Mopurgo's book is clearly about a dog ;))

Haha! And it's only a monday...good girl! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Eamonn Coghlans book is a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

I highly recommend Born to Run - I've recommended it to a lot of patients, and every one of them has loved it. The author did a talk at the Google campus and touched on a lot of the main points of the book - you can check it out here and see if it's something you might be into:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_usxrvKvus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Eamon Coughlan: Chairman of the Boards (Excellent book! I've read it twice!)
    Damnit. I'll have to wait until the Dublin City Marathon Expo and get a signed copy now.. Never bothered to pick one up last year. Missed opportunity. Hope he'll be back this year.

04072511 wrote: »
    Eamonn Coghlans book is a great read.

Is this another book that's out of print or something like the Seb Coe book? Amazon don't have it available either.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

Is this another book that's out of print or something like the Seb Coe book? Amazon don't have it available either.

Available here grandmaster......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eamonn-Coghlan-Chairman-Boards-Master/dp/0954865340

Damnit. I'll have to wait until the Dublin City Marathon Expo and get a signed copy now.. Never bothered to pick one up last year. Missed opportunity. Hope he'll be back this year.

Haha I popped in the year before last to get it signed.. He wished me luck in Dublin Marathon '08... but I wasnt even running.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

shels4ever wrote: »
    Haha I popped in the year before last to get it signed.. He wished me luck in Dublin Marathon '08... but I wasnt even running.... :)
    Cheeky pup. :)

Cheeky pup. :)
    Yep but just means i'll have to run Dublin someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

Advertisement