Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De-Facto relationship breakdown

• 05-08-2010 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi Guys, just looking for a bit of advice. I came to Australia on a de-facto visa, however our relationship has since broken down and I'm wondering what options are available to me now? I don't want to go home so I'm looking for a way that I can stay here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what visa are you on? *defacto to a PR or a 457 etc

have you guys gone past the 2 year period of this visa?
    if less than 2 years, you'll have to start to look for a new visa *I think*

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

Ya it's de-facto to pr and it hasn't been 2 years. Dammit, had a feeling someone was going to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Trankton wrote: »
    Ya it's de-facto to pr and it hasn't been 2 years. Dammit, had a feeling someone was going to say that.

Now much less then the 2 years and how bad was the brake up? Is she likely to report it to immigration out of spite?

Because if not I think you would be better off not to do anything as what immigration don’t know won’t hurt you. (This is only my opinion though.)

It isn't even a full year into it yet. She won't say anythign to immigration, we're still friends but things just didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

You're probably going to have to find your own visa as soon as possible.
    The fact that you are a de-facto on what I'm assuming is something a bit more longterm than a working travel visa, then you should find it a lot easier to get a decent job compared to backpackers for example.

Once you get offered a job and settle in, a lot of employers seem quite happy to sponsor you.

I'm not sure if you should raise your visa predicament in the job interview or not though. I guess it depends how desperate the company is for you skills. Maybe someone else could offer advice here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Sorry to hear about that. Listen to Doc.

Have been considering the sponsorship option alright as I already have a decent job but am still in my probabationary period so hoping to wait that out and then check about sponsorship.

could I apply for a skilled visa does anyone know?? Or would they just throw me out of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have been considering the sponsorship option alright as I already have a decent job but am still in my probabationary period so hoping to wait that out and then check about sponsorship.

could I apply for a skilled visa does anyone know?? Or would they just throw me out of the country?

1 :Sorry to hear that chief never a good time, never mind having to deal with this as well.

2 :Have you tried asking over in Britishexpats.com you pretty much can find someone in/or has been in the same scenario on that site. If you dont want to register I can ask the question for you and PM you the thread to monitor.

3: Yes you can apply for a skilled visa if you qualify but the question is do you get to stay here while it's processed? I dont know if you can bridge in this case.

4: Really think about wether you want to stay in Oz long term as this could be a bumpy ride.

Chin up.

Ah mate this is a big bloody disaster. Maybe I should just go home, I only came here to be with herself in the first place...that'll learn me.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Tough situation mate. You have my sympathies.

I did the whole defacto thing myself. There were a few times that it looked like we weren't going to last those 2 years but we did just about. Broke up subsequently but it didn't matter at that stage.

Technically, you're meant to inform DIAC as soon as there is a change in your relationship status, and from what I hear they'll give you 28 days to leave the country once you do. There's a rare exception where you can get to stay but it's only in the case of spousal abuse I think...Im assuming that doesn't apply in your case.

I'm not advocating it but I did know someone in the same situation who didn't inform DIAC and stayed for the 2 years. If no one lets them know they'll be none the wiser. If they do find out though there could be consequences (not sure what they would be though). Although, when they send out your PR application, you'll have to let them know at that stage and then leave, unless you can apply for another visa.

If you were close to the 2 years I'd be telling you to do whatever the hell you could to make it work for a little bit longer but looking at your other posts you're not there that long.

There's no easy fixes unfortunately.

Might be worth a trip to see an immigration lawyer though to go through all your options.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

Still have no idea what to do, not the easiest time but sure it'll get better with time. Trying to decide whether to find some way to stay on or to just go home and be done with it all. Decisions...decisions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If it were me I would keep my mouth shut but then again you dont seem bothered either way about leaving/staying in OZ.

Wellt o be honest to only reason I came to Australia was to be with herself, thats why I'm not too bothered. Don't get me wrong though, I do love it here but it's just not the same for me here now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Give it time. You might think differently in a few months and the regret going home.

I hope you're right jank, I really do.

Have heard that if I somehow manage to get the company to sponsor me then I'll have to leave the country first, anyone know if thats true??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I hope you're right jank, I really do.

Have heard that if I somehow manage to get the company to sponsor me then I'll have to leave the country first, anyone know if thats true??

Nope

A 457 Employer sponsored Temp visa can be onshore or offshore.

A 856 ENS Employer Sponsored PR visa is onshore, it's equivalent offshore visa is the 121 ENS

Thanks for that Mandrake. Will give it a few months before I make a final decision on whether I stay or go.

So, on a different note, anyone know some good spots in Brisbane to meet up with some women?? Time to start thinking about moving on in the world instead of wallowing in self-pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brick1

Mod Note

Post had nothing to do with Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Thanks for that Mandrake. Will give it a few months before I make a final decision on whether I stay or go.

So, on a different note, anyone know some good spots in Brisbane to meet up with some women?? Time to start thinking about moving on in the world instead of wallowing in self-pity.

Wonder did he ever go or stay?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement