Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

r.i.p. the hurricane

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

higgins_design.jpg
    "The only true genius that snooker has ever produced" Steve Davis

Alex was everything snooker wasent. He was popular, successful, yet notorious. For many, myself included, he epitomised what it is I love about snooker. His ability to suprise, his character, and most importantly his ability on the table allowed him to stand alone, to attract crowds and to popularise the game.

In recent years his name has been draged through the mud, for reasones which can only be attributed to himself and his demons. This to me, and to all those who experienced him, is the graeat tragedy of the man.

Alex is the graetest player ever to grace the table, and the inspiration to all those who ever came close.

Thanks for the memories Alex, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

tommyhaas wrote: »
    higgins_design.jpg
    The only true genius that snooker has ever produced
    Steve davis

Alex was everything snooker wasent. He was popular, successful, yet notorious. For many, myself included, he epitomised what it is I love about snooker. His ability to suprise, his character, and most importantly his ability on the table allowed him to stand alone, to attract crowds and to popularise the game.

In recent years his name has been draged through the mud, for reasones which can only be attributed to himself and his demons. This to me, and to all those who experienced him, is the graeat tragedy of the man.

Alex is the graetest player ever to grace the table, and the inspiration to all those who ever came close.

Iconic image, and thanks for the tribute. I don't know what to say except that maybe we all suspected it was going to end this way.

But while he was in his prime there was no one like him to shoot out the lights, to make you believe that anything was possible, and then some. He was a star.

God bless you, Alex. May you rest in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Derek Screeching Plane

A true legend of the game. Rest in peace Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

RIP Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

tommyhaas wrote: »
    higgins_design.jpg
    The only true genius that snooker has ever produced
    Steve davis

My dad met him about 7 years ago, always thought he was great but after he met him he wished he hadn't.

A legend at the table, he saw the balls how we all see them, with the difference being that he could do what we could just see.

An unbelievable talent. It's not nice to say but he's probably better now, either way I hope he rests easy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭The Valley

A true Legend. RIP

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

RIP Alex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Great to see so many messages and tributes here for Alex. I'm sure many of you never had the chance to meet Alex or indeed get to see him play live. Everyone has their own memories of Alex at the table, memories such as that incredible clearance against White in the Worlds, the comeback against Davis to win the UK c'ships, Alex winning the B&H final against Hendry in Goffs whilst his ankle was in plaster! to my personal and I'm sure the majority of fans favourite is of Alex beating Reardon in '82 to win his second world title with a 135 clearance.

Of course there are the off the table memories that Alex will be remembered for probably more so, antics such as headbutting a tournament official, to urinating in a flower display of a certain sponsor to probably his more serious threat of having his fellow Ulsterman Dennis Taylor shot.

Alex should have and I'm sure would have retired a millionaire had he recieved proper guidance and management, he more than likely would have numorous sponsors jumping on board if he was still playing to a high standard.Unfortunatly Alex had more hangers on around him than most sports stars could manage but the sad fact is in the last few years Alex only had a few people around him that he could call friends, sadder still that he died alone in sheltered accomadation in Belfast at the w'end.

I had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions over the last 25 years and I can honestly say not once did he behave anything less than was expected of a top professional snooker player. My personal feeling is that on the occasions he did let his temper get the better of him was when he was provoked, and of course when the instance finally was made public it was exagerated ten fold.

Some people say Alex made the game, I personally dispute that, Alex was playing the game at the same time as other greats such as Reardon Spencer Mountjoy and a young Steve Davis. What made Alex popular was his flamboyant style of play and because he came from a working class background many people identified themselves with him, Alex of course dubbed himself ' the peoples champion' which cemented his popularity.

Many of today's top players such as Hendry Doherty and O Sullivan have said Alex was the reason they took up the game, such as I'm sure young players today state O Sullivan as the reason they play.

He had all the shots, he had the bottle but as with all genius's he was flawed but he'll be remembered in snooker halls just like the recently deceased John Spencer and indeed Paul Hunter as a great player and a great champion.

Twice world snooker champion

rest in peace Hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

R.I.P Alex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Was saddened to hear the news over the weekend, but maybe he is in a more comfortable place now. I hope he knew how much of a legend he was.

RIP Hurricane Alex Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

In 1990 Alex Higgins launched a blistering verbal attack on his NI team-mate Dennis Taylor after they'd lost snooker's World Cup final. Higgins accused Taylor of greed and threatened to have him shot, but it was remarks about Taylor's late mother which really twisted the knife.
    When the pair met in the Irish Masters six days later both Taylor and the Goffs' crowd shunned Higgins with a steely contempt.

Higgins beat his wife and never saw his daughter for much of her life - she deserved an oscar for her performance at that funeral. She missed him so much - thats why he was found dead alone.
    Higgins - sorry you were not this great person everyone is alluding to - arrested, attacked people with cues, etc.... Great snooker player but thats it.
    He was born and bred in Sandy Row, Belfast - enough said.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/2889881.stm
    http://www.pampelmoose.com/2010/07/alex-higgins-snookers-anti-hero-dies-aged-61

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Alex had many many flaws but he was the most entertaining, flamboyant player in the history of the game. People will remember him for the level of skill he had around the table. Lots of top sports stars are flawed characters, its one of the reasons they are so popular. See George Best for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    He was born and bred in Sandy Row, Belfast - enough said.

so everyone from sandy row is a nasty peice of work?:rolleyes:

would you have said the same if he came from the falls:cool:

stick to the bogball mrgaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

fryup wrote: »
    so everyone from sandy row is a nasty peice of work?:rolleyes:

would you have said the same if he came from the falls:cool:

stick to the bogball mrgaa

whats that about? :rolleyes:

can someone not be a fan of both?

plus theres more than just "bogball" in the gaa....

Advertisement