Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why have Iarnrod removed the tracks from Tralee Station?

• 30-07-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed this getting the train this afternoon, you have to walk a distance up the platform from the ticket office / waiting to board the train. There was plenty of ventilation for DMU'S in the old station Is there a reason for this?

5wypee.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

They hate operating trains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

markpb wrote: »
    They hate operating trains?
    the drivers canteen/rest room is at the end of the platform, or is it because the station is rotton and about to fall down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the drivers canteen/rest room is at the end of the platform, or is it because the station is rotton and about to fall down?
    If that was the case it should be closed altogether as a public liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so they can leave the trains in the rain a bit more so they wear out and rust quicker so they can waste millions replacing them with shiny new stock again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

that is probably the next stage, it is only an inconvenience for the staff having to deal with a few trains a day anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

If that was the case it should be closed altogether as a public liability.

Why would you expect that? This is from the company that failed to replace end of life equipment (link):
    The signalling system in Limerick Junction Station was due to be replaced at the end of October 2007. As part of this work, the existing no. 30 signal and no. 27 points were due to be removed. There have been delays with the implementation of this project.
    The last inspection under I-PWY-1159 was carried out on the 25th of April 2009. The records for this inspection show the no. 27A points to have received a 30% rating out of a possible 100%. The points were considered by IÉ to be life expired.

The points were eventually replaced over two years later, after they caused a derailment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Run_to_da_hills - Beat you to it and there is even a spotter's explanation of CIE/IEs stupidity on my blog. :D

http://irishrailways.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-05-27T14:36:00-07:00&max-results=7

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

I've only used Tralee a few times but I seem to remember even in loco hauled times the loco only came under the roof to run round - the carriages always stayed out in the open. You would think with railcars they would have taken the oppurtunity to bring them right in under the roof...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The run around loop was there- now they decided we dont need that anymore so its been taken up and hence the line moved back.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Don't really see the issue here, the ticket check/gate is located at the end of the station roof (even if in my experience, the actual check of tickets isn't always applied) and incoming passengers leave the station via a wooden gate on the other side. Hardly indicative of some abandonment or retreat from services. Anyway it's been a while since I was down there, is the main building itself still under construction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

So they can park their cars there. It seems daft to me. But then again, look at what happened at Rosslare, the moved the station way from the ferry terminal, and the train timetable doesn't match the ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sure looks whats happened to Pearse over the years... platforms gradually turned into staff car parks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

So they can park their cars there.

Still doesn't explain why they simply didn't move the buffers a few metres so they could get access to their new car park. I hope the train shed is a protected structure - otherwise it could be next to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

sure looks whats happened to Pearse over the years... platforms gradually turned into staff car parks :(

But shur they know public transport is for losers...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

The trains always pulled up to the platform near where the tracks end now, so it doesn't really make a difference. Of course, whatever the logic behind removing that tiny section of track is, well I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Adro947 wrote: »
    The trains always pulled up to the platform near where the tracks end now, so it doesn't really make a difference. Of course, whatever the logic behind removing that tiny section of track is, well I don't know.

Less maintenance. That's the way it is now. Reduce the number of loops,points etc. and you'll save money on maintenance over the years. With the move to plastic railcars we'll see more of this over the next few years.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Less maintenance. That's the way it is now. Reduce the number of loops,points etc. and you'll save money on maintenance over the years. With the move to plastic railcars we'll see more of this over the next few years.

If they spent more money are safety issues such as viaduct maintenance I would be happier than this sort of penny pinching, bean counter inspired, continuous pruning of the railway system which only serves to make it more inflexible. Imagine the cost involved in reinstating all the run round facilities in a few years time when the next reincarnation of Dick Fearn turns out to be a locomotive enthusiast. :rolleyes:

In Tralee, even in loco hauled days, the train would always stop short of the roof, the loco would then use the run around loop under the roof and head back out again. My belief was always that it's probably to do with ticket checking,. if the train was inside the roof then it would be too easy to just hop on without a ticket.

But the removal of the run around loop really irritates me, it was done back in December. It's been claimed that it was done to reduce maintenance on disused points but there's plenty of points around the country that are even less used and they haven't been removed. They did the same in Cobh and when the weedsprayer came out there earlier in the year, they had to run a second 071 behind the train to couple up and pull it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Karsini wrote: »
    In Tralee, even in loco hauled days, the train would always stop short of the roof, the loco would then use the run around loop under the roof and head back out again. My belief was always that it's probably to do with ticket checking,. if the train was inside the roof then it would be too easy to just hop on without a ticket.
    Being afraid of people bunking the train is no excuse, they could still have left the track down for aesthetic purposes and stopped the trains short of the gate. Other dead end stations such as Killarney and Galway would also pose this problem.

Next thing we will see it being tarred over and used as a staff car park.

Being afraid of people bunking the train is no excuse, they could still have left the track down for aesthetic purposes and stopped the trains short of the gate. Other dead end stations such as Killarney and Galway would also pose this problem.

Next thing we will see it being tarred over and used as a staff car park.

I agree they shouldn't have lifted the track, it just looks weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Kilkenny has a similar layout though the trainshed hasn't been used in donkeys years. The platform is completely uncovered and the runaround loop is under the old trainshed roof. I don't think they've lifted the points there yet.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Kilkenny has a similar layout though the trainshed hasn't been used in donkeys years. The platform is completely uncovered and the runaround loop is under the old trainshed roof. I don't think they've lifted the points there yet.

No they're still there, I was down that way about 3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Hold on a second; I thought IÉ were going to use the "railbus" on the Limerick to Waterford line, not Tralee town;).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0615/1224248849959.html

Karsini wrote: »

But the removal of the run around loop really irritates me, it was done back in December. It's been claimed that it was done to reduce maintenance on disused points but there's plenty of points around the country that are even less used and they haven't been removed. They did the same in Cobh and when the weedsprayer came out there earlier in the year, they had to run a second 071 behind the train to couple up and pull it out.

As far as I know it is still possible to run round a train in the yard. To some degree this makes sense given that it's more likely a PW train will need to runround than a passenger service, and when a railtour does run once in a bloom moon it's not that complicated to shunt it from a platform to the yard. However given that PW trains would be there more often than loco-hauled passenger train then by having the loop in the yard it avoids the need to have PW trains holding up platform space while they runround. Don't know if that's the offical reason behind it all but it makes some sense.

As far as I know it is still possible to run round a train in the yard. To some degree this makes sense given that it's more likely a PW train will need to runround than a passenger service, and when a railtour does run once in a bloom moon it's not that complicated to shunt it from a platform to the yard. However given that PW trains would be there more often than loco-hauled passenger train then by having the loop in the yard it avoids the need to have PW trains holding up platform space while they runround. Don't know if that's the offical reason behind it all but it makes some sense.

I don't think Tralee is Clapham Junction (at least it wasn't the last time I was there) and the chances of delaying services while a PW train runs round at the platform would be remote. Furthermore if a set of points to allow a train run round was to be retained surely those that allow the greatest range of options should have been retained. No, this smacks of typical CIE/IE short termism and they are obsessed with disconnecting goods yards, branchlines, sidings, points, non-radial routes etc.etc.etc.......

On a slightly related point to illustrate the sort of nonsense that goes on, I remember back in the 1980s a Knock special left Buttevant in the morning but passengers had to be bussed back from a nearby station on returning as the Down platform had been removed during the day - never to be replaced! Only in Ireland on "Oh Mr.Porter's Railway". :rolleyes:

Operating to the highest standards of Iarnrod Eireann!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

I noticed this getting the train this afternoon, you have to walk a distance up the platform from the ticket office / waiting to board the train. There was plenty of ventilation for DMU'S in the old station Is there a reason for this?

5wypee.jpg

If that was used as a bus platform timed with arriving and departing trains it would be a good idea. Would be a great interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

If it was about track simplification, why didn't they remove the runaround loop completely then?

If it was about track simplification, why didn't they remove the runaround loop completely then?

One would still be needed from time to time for use by loco hauled maintainence of way trains, (which would be normally stabled in a yard rather than a platform). If there was no loop then another loco would have to follow light engine to haul the train back out of Tralee; given that the nearest depot is at Cork this would be quite a journey. Example of termini without runround facilities include Midleton, Cobh and Howth, but these are all within a half hour or so of the nearest depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

If that was used as a bus platform timed with arriving and departing trains it would be a good idea. Would be a great interchange.

Probably. But its not. Demolition is next.

• Advertisement

Would they be allowed to? These sort of structures tend to be protected, look what happened at Carlisle Pier.

Advertisement