Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using FETAC links to IoTs and Universities

Options
  • 27-07-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Since there are alot of questions re what FETAC course to select to progress to a course at an IoT or university I have drawn up the following steps for students. This only applies when you know where you want to progress to. Otherwise consult with your FE/PLC college for general information on where a course may lead you to.

1. Access CAO website and click on FETAC Information.
    http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=scoring&s=fetac

2. Open the document Progression to Higher Education Courses 2010 since you will require this to put a name to the codes that are used for entry requirements. This explains the FETAC system and the scoring system.

3. Then to establish the relevant FETAC link go back to http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=scoring&s=fetac click on FETAC entry requirements and select the college you wish to progress to and if there is a FETAC link it will be shown here. The FETAC award code that you need to use to enter the course is listed by letters e.g. DCHSC etc. Within each award some college swill require you to have specific modules and these are usually listed by code i.e. G20001 etc. An award without the necessary modules will not qualify you to apply for entry.

4. To get the name of the award as opposed to the FETAC award code go back to the document Progression to Higher Education Courses 2010

5. Then find a FE/PLC college that offers this course. Try http://www.qualifax.ie/ Remember many colleges use titles other the FETAC award code for their courses. Contact the college and establish that they are offering the right award and combination of modules that you need. Once you are enrolled on the FETAC course you will need to apply via the CAO as normal.

Be warned of the following;

1. Make sure that the course you select at FE/PLC level offers the correct combination of modules for progression - FETAC courses differ from college to college in terms of the modules they offer. Many have already offered their places and interviews have taken place so you may not be able to get a FETAC place at this late stage.
    2. Places for FETAC applicants at IoTs and Universities are limited and this is an extremely popular route so expect intense competition and don’t assume that you will qualify for place with the min. entry requirements. For example with FETAC Nursing you will have to scoring max distinctions in your FETAC award to be considered for a place and then you will be subject to random selection for a very limited number of places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

Brilliant post OP

I can only agree with what you said about trying to get into college on a fetac level 5 or 6 course..Its difficult and its basically a pot luck. A friend of mine last year holds a level 6 and did fairly well in his exams and he didn`t get a place in college. I think the system should be changed for people with fetac qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Thanks 47. It is difficult in some courses eg Nursing mainly but for other courses if the work is put in and the results are high then progression is very common.

If your friend has a Level 6 it should be easier for them to access a progression route as most of the larger FE colleges have agreements with local IoTs and Universities for progression from Level 6 into an IoT or University. Many enter at advanced level rather than at Year 1 again. But it depends on the subject area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks Further Education, I've stickied this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

47 wrote: »
    Brilliant post OP

I can only agree with what you said about trying to get into college on a fetac level 5 or 6 course..Its difficult and its basically a pot luck. A friend of mine last year holds a level 6 and did fairly well in his exams and he didn`t get a place in college. I think the system should be changed for people with fetac qualifications.

It does depend on the college course, as courses with very high points are going to be difficult to get into for both Fetac and LC students. Also it can make a difference whether the Fetac college has any sort of agreement with a third level college.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Agree Looksee,

Most of the larger FE colleges in Dublin, Cork and Cavan seem to have extra links for their FETAC Level 5 and 6 courses to those under the Higher Education Links scheme and the Pilot Scheme. It is worth checking these out. But you have to check with the individual colleges for this as there is no one system or point of information for all extra this information.

It maybe a hassle but it will be only for the coming year or so as with the changes in the FETAC system in the coming year and move towards credits it will all change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

2. Places for FETAC applicants at IoTs and Universities are limited and this is an extremely popular route so expect intense competition and don’t assume that you will qualify for place with the min. entry requirements. For example with FETAC Nursing you will have to scoring max distinctions in your FETAC award to be considered for a place and then you will be subject to random selection for a very limited number of places.

So it would be worth re-sitting the Leaving Cert as a back-up plan? In the pertinent subjects, of course. In my case, the three sciences and agricultural biology, as I plan to do an Applied Science PLC.
    It can't hurt, in any case. I'm sure the syllabi are not drastically different. Nnothing that a little cross-referencing can't amend anyway.
    Or so I should hope.

Advertisement