Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Address Block format ?

• 26-07-2010 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Quick question on the correct way an address block format should be.

Obviously we don't have post codes right now, but I'm trying to plan ahead for a new business venture in terms of deliveries by mail.

Most common address format (Dublin) I've seen is:

Customer Name,
    House Number, Street,
    Suburb,
    Dublin Number,
    Ireland

However, according to this, it should be formatted as follows:

Customer Name
    House Number Street
    (Suburb)
    IE Dublin Number

Not using punctuation & also putting IE in before the county/postcode, the (Suburb) I put in myself.

Py own Personal preference (which I think reads more easily) is:

Customer Name,
    House Number, Street Name,
    Suburb, Dublin Number, IE

I'm making up a template right now, which would be the better option (allowing for a hidden field for the yet to be populated postcode) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Putting

IE Dublin 1

is treating Dublin 1 as a post code and just following the norm in europe, though it is not used by everyone.

For example in Germany, the post code is

D-12345, where D is for Germany (Deutschland).

but allot of people just use

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is no blanket rule. The address formatting is quite complex. You can find correct *postal* addresses on geodirectory.ie or anpost.ie

IE should not be there. It is just not used.

A country address could be a lot longer than that.

The 'locality' (what you call the suburb) is not always required. For example, it is generally not part of the address in Dublin 2. The locality is generally optional where there are postal 'zones'. However this is not always true. For instance, there are two roads called Pembroke Cottages in Dublin 4. In County Dublin, this is obviously needed.

Some houses have names and some have no numbers.

Advertisement