Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will you do first?

• 22-07-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Just trying to get an idea of what people's main motivation for buying starcraft is. For me it's the single player campaign and the story. As soon as I get it I'm going to fire up the story mode, enjoy the FMVs and patiently plod my way through the campaign and learn strategies from that. Not ideal for the fast paced world of battle.net.

So, when you buy the game is it straight into the single player and enjoy the story, or will you be logging into battle.net and clocking up as many wins (or losses) as you can?

Is the single player of any interest to you or do you have dreams of only becoming a famous name in SC2?

What will you do first in Starcraft 2? 21 votes

Play through the single player, involve myself in the story then wait patiently for the next chapter
    0% 0 votes
    Straight onto battle.net and try out some of those strategies I worked on in the beta
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've seen several gold/Diamond players say they will be playing through single game for the cinematics alone; so I think many will play through at least part of the single campaign. If nothing else it adds flavour to your units and gives a nice break from online matches (assuming that Battle net will manage to stay up under the unslaught which I doubt).

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I intend to play SP 1st, but if a m8 is online, I'll pop onto MP for a game.

And poll needs a "jizz in pants" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

gearoidof wrote: »
    And poll needs a "jizz in pants" option.

I would have thought that would be a given rather than an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Gonna go play through the campaign. Played MP through the betas was fun, kicked some ass. but the campaign... speechless!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

Where's the option for both?

I can't wait for the single player, but I also don't want to get to rusty on the multi-player.

A couple of single player missions here, a couple of league games there, fun times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Columc wrote: »
    Gonna go play through the campaign. Played MP through the betas was fun, kicked some ass. but the campaign... speechless!

Yeah think I'll hit up single player first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I'm buying it mainly for the multiplayer but I'll still go through the single player campaign first, expecting pretty big things out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Dante

Straight onto battle.net for me. I've been playing the original SC online like a beast the past few days to get in the mood and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Single player all the way... although i don't know about the waiting patiently part!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Will give the single player a go first since I've never played any SC single player, but Im sure it won't take me long to get stuck into MP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Definitly single player first then some multi :D

Sign of a good game, When people buy it for both single and multiplayer. Just shows how blizzard have the fine tune on their games giving everything to the gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I'll be playing the single player, back in the day when I first got Starcraft I didn't have the connection for online gaming, as a result I never got into the MP.

I reckon that as a nOOb to the Starcraft multiplayer I'll probably get destroyed if I just wade in.

Single player though, cannot wait to see how that story plays out!! I remember in the manual for the original Starcraft the backstory was massive, each race had it's own chapter.

Over the years I have been playing SC, but I'm not good at the MP at all, I'm a bit better then the average joe but thats about it. The thing I love about SC is their map editors and being able to create mods such as tower defense games and other such things!

Scráib wrote: »
    I'll be playing the single player, back in the day when I first got Starcraft I didn't have the connection for online gaming, as a result I never got into the MP.

I reckon that as a nOOb to the Starcraft multiplayer I'll probably get destroyed if I just wade in.

Single player though, cannot wait to see how that story plays out!! I remember in the manual for the original Starcraft the backstory was massive, each race had it's own chapter.

I spent an entire afternoon in the library (in school for junior cert we had afternoon study) reading and rereading that manual, the backstory just swallowed me up. Love that about Blizzard, an entire universe right there in black and white.

Open up the Supreme Commander 2 or similar for some contrast. Must have taken them 5 minutes to come up with that derivative garbage.

I wish I still had a hardcopy of that manual :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I spent an entire afternoon in the library (in school for junior cert we had afternoon study) reading and rereading that manual, the backstory just swallowed me up. Love that about Blizzard, an entire universe right there in black and white.

Open up the Supreme Commander 2 or similar for some contrast. Must have taken them 5 minutes to come up with that derivative garbage.

I wish I still had a hardcopy of that manual :(

GAME still sell copies of starcraft. I assume they still come with the manual.

Thinking about that, its kinda amazing that starcraft still sells a reasonable high price for such an old game.

A credit to Blizzard's good design.

Only computer game to be a national sport of a country!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_national_sport_of_South_Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Am I the only one who is excited about this game because it's made by the people who made Warcraft III?

I never played the original Starcraft but I'm guessing it's a lot like Warcraft and that's probably probably one of the most enjoyable games I ever played. Great plot, cutscenes, gameplay, very balanced online etc....

GAME still sell copies of starcraft. I assume they still come with the manual.

Thinking about that, its kinda amazing that starcraft still sells a reasonable high price for such an old game.

A credit to Blizzard's good design.

Interesting. It's not one of those re-issued ones is it? I know Blizzard do their own "classic" editions, but I bought a fallout 1&2 "replay" edition years ago and it was just discs. That lovely manual was stuck on a CD!

silvine wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is excited about this game because it's made by the people who made Warcraft III?

I never played the original Starcraft but I'm guessing it's a lot like Warcraft and that's probably probably one of the most enjoyable games I ever played. Great plot, cutscenes, gameplay, very balanced online etc....

That's fine, they are quite similar, especially in story and tone. The gameplay was different in Starcraft in that you had hero units during the campaign, but they only had damage and health bonuses, there was no RPG development.

If you liked W3 though, there is no reason not to go back and play Starcraft. Probably too late now, but you could breeze through the campaign before release (maybe not brood war, some tough missions in there, might take longer).

It's a Blizzard game after all. I don't play WoW (to quote South Park, "I have a life") but Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo are all games I enjoyed and generally if you liked one you like them all.

• Advertisement

Cant wait for Diablo 3.... And from the recruitment office in Blizzard they are creating 2 new games that they haven't announced yet. A next generation MMORPG and a undisclosed game title!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll play single player for a while then play a compstomping session in skirmish.

Advertisement