Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Automatic fail if he takes of the helmet. :p

Hopefully it's good and a success and kick starts a slew of 2000AD movies. Rogue Trooper anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

hes nowhere near gnarled enough! (lot of assonance there)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ok don't judge me (oh ho ho!) but I actually liked the Judge Dredd movie! Even if it did have Rob Schneider as a carrot! I mean everything was there. Sure it really wasn't at all faithful to the comics, but it was at a time when Hollywood were just putting their stamp on franchises instead of giving the fans what they wanted in the first place. Continuity and familiarity.

I second that Rogue Trooper idea, I've only read the Classic 2000AD story though so can't comment on the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Automatic fail if he takes of the helmet. :p

Hopefully it's good and a success and kick starts a slew of 2000AD movies. Rogue Trooper anyone?

Helmet has to stay on is right.

Would prefer to see Slaine on the big screen before Rogue Trooper. Maybe a big budget faithful adaptation of the Books Of Invasion storyline. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Too pretty. And wrong shape jaw.

Say what you want about sly, he was the right shape for Dredd. If only he hadn't talked, could act, was given a halfway decent script.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Totally grew up on 2000 A.D comic and was sooo dissapointed with the Stallone version. Hopefully this one makes a truer JD (John???) film. What most annoyed me about the original was not JD himself but rather the depiction of the other judges, awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Do not want!!
    judge-dredd.jpg

Want!
    Judge-Dredd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, I thought Urban was totally wrong when he was cast as Bones in Star Trek. I just couldn't see how he could pull it off. But he did, and was fantastic in the role. He might surprise you with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

A.B.C. Warriors for me please!.. followed by Slaine and THEN followed by Rouge Trooper.. I would also be on for a decent Judge Dredd once it features Judge Death and Co..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

mark valley from human target has the chin :D

urban would need to buff up but he could pull it off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Wow this could be epic to say the least, loving the amount of comics turned to decent movies recently, hopefully they can do it again!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

My expectations are low but I'll definitely check it out. What's the budget like?

On a side note, Nostalgia Critic had a funny review of Judge Dredd :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If it's a chin that's needed then... ?

aaron_eckhart04.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

was going to suggest him too purely for the chin. He would have been my choice for Hal Jordan also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

They will never be able to make a dredd movie to equal the complexity that is 'Dredd' as a character no matter how hard they try. Dredd was a villain that represented authority in the extreme. 2000ad as a graphic novel portrayed 'dredd' as a villain who represented a biblical view 'story wise' of how the world would turn during an apocalypse I.e. the age of the judges where the judges had a hand in 'instant justice'.

The writers of this story were surprised to find the fans supporting dredd as a kind of antihero due to his tunnel vision via genetic engineering as the ultimate law enforcer.

Amazing and brilliant almost original concept which is incredibly difficult to portray on the big screen.

By the way I read every issue since The 'Eagle' and Dan dare up to the point where they combined '2000ad' with the 'eagle'. I once owned issue 5 upwards to about 5yrs ago;)

Tons of scripts there, Strontium dog, Halo Jones, ABC Warriors, Slaine, Rogue Trooper etc. And what about the 'Cythrall' and the horned god issues? Not to mention Judge Janus and the janus project.

Judge Macgruder and the walk into the cursed earth was classic as well. The Gila Munji were pure evil *sigh so many memories, so little time.

The 2000ad artists at the time when it was a great 'comic', graphic novel brought the comic book into the world of art such was their inspiration and greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Amazing and brilliant almost original concept which is incredibly difficult to portray on the big screen.

Bruce Campbell could do it! He'd be perfect.

Possibly in his heyday, but I see Bruce as more of a comedic influence that would not really work. I see Tom Hardy as he has a strange ability to adapt and play an array of characters very strongly. Plus he has the size and presence as well.

I think that he would bring something to the character of dredd that would just work. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have to say I liked the Stallone version :)

All these remakes and reboots though lately - is Hollywood REALLY running that low on original ideas at this stage?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I have to say I liked the Stallone version :)

All these remakes and reboots though lately - is Hollywood REALLY running that low on original ideas at this stage?

The Stallone version was entertaining and it was good. What made it good was the character played by Armand Assante as Joes genetic brother, he was brilliant.

The Hammerstein robot was well designed from the 'comic' but lacked something as Hammerstein was not a mere automatonic robot. Stallone as Dredd was weak at best, to emotional for my taste but it worked in it's own way for the type of movie that it was.

I liked the way they worked the Janus project into the mix combined with the 'mean machine' and his family etc but I think that they bit off more than they could chew really to create a hollywood action movie, which it was.

I would like to see the day when they can create a proper rounded political anti establishment type of ideal type of movie which to me was what 2000ad seemed to be about as a well intellingently thought out story that made people think and at the same time educated folks in a surreal suttle way, A story is a powerful thing and 2000ad had some goddamed good stories which I think are an experience that can never be properly portrayed on the big screen unless someone with a real passion comes along as a director and producer.

No matter what happens we're going to get a neutered version of dredd on screen, I cant see them getting away with making him as much of a bad ass as he is in the comics. Take wolverine for example, even ignoring the woeful X-men origins: wolverine and Xmen 3, he was still a bit of a pansy compared to the comics in the two decent xmen movies. Oh imagine what a real wolverine movie would have been like.

This doesn't mean the movie will be bad,still a shame though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

They will never be able to make a dredd movie to equal the complexity that is 'Dredd' as a character no matter how hard they try. Dredd was a villain that represented authority in the extreme. 2000ad as a graphic novel portrayed 'dredd' as a villain who represented a biblical view 'story wise' of how the world would turn during an apocalypse I.e. the age of the judges where the judges had a hand in 'instant justice'.

The writers of this story were surprised to find the fans supporting dredd as a kind of antihero due to his tunnel vision via genetic engineering as the ultimate law enforcer.

By the way I read every issue since The 'Eagle' and Dan dare up to the point where they combined '2000ad' with the 'eagle'. I once owned issue 5 upwards to about 5yrs ago;)

Tons of scripts there, Strontium dog, Halo Jones, ABC Warriors, Slaine, Rogue Trooper etc. And what about the 'Cythrall' and the horned god issues? Not to mention Judge Janus and the janus project.

Judge Macgruder and the walk into the cursed earth was classic as well. The Gila Munji were pure evil *sigh so many memories, so little time.

The 2000ad artists at the time when it was a great 'comic', graphic novel brought the comic book into the world of art such was their inspiration and greatness.
    this fantastic and unique character will be very difficult to appease dredd readers. Dredd could easily be made into 3+ films with the amount of material, never mind prequels.
    Wouldn't even bother with SD, Slaine, rogue trooper being included- these are stories/films in themselves.

remember being 16 or so when the original stallone movie came out and so disaapointed, typical hollywood fare and Rob schneider ffs :eek:.
    I do recall at the time Stallone had supposedly read loads of 2000 ad/ dredd but still no excuses.
    Hope a new one will be a a lot darker-i think as it its a UK comic with no history of US cartoons ala batman etc hollywood studios are less arsed about appealing to the original concept.
    I absolutely love JD and 2000AD, one of the best and most intelligent/insightful comics of our times and would love to see a better made film this time round touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,003 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67I0ZO20100819
    Karl Urban, who last played Bones McCoy in "Star Trek," has come on board to play the title character of "Judge Dredd," based on the British comic book character.

The comic is set in a future where police act as judge, jury and executioner. Urban will play Joe Dredd, the creme de la creme of the elite police corps.

The character is almost always seen wearing a helmet-mask and the producers have said Urban will be hatted through most of the movie.

Pete Travis ("Vantage Point") is directing the independently financed feature. Several studios are lining up to ask "Dredd" to the dance, but the producers want to line up the female lead before signing any distribution deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

article wrote:
    The character is almost always seen wearing a helmet-mask and the producers have said Urban will be hatted through most of the movie.

Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Missionary Man would make for a good film too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Rogue Trooper film please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I hope he stays helmeted for the whole movie, although they could show him in silhouette or from behind, but not his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Is this going to be a new Trilogy? Wouldnt mind enterring intoa al ong drawn out world setup..... Might go watch Blade Runner now mmm

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Missionary Man would make for a good film too

Seconded - Bad Moon Rising would be a lovely spine around which to build a Missionary Man story. Weave it around a few of the smaller standalone stories and you'd have a great sci-fi/Western. (Of course, you'd have to get studios to not try and make it into Wild Wild West first...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

They could spin off a whole rake of cool movies from that, Nemesis and Torquemada, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Slaíne as well as another go at Judge Dredd. My vote goes on re-vamping Judge Dredd to begin with, preferably ignoring the first movie and with Judge Death on the prowl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Advertisement