Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great After-timing Thread (screenshots req'd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

SantryRed wrote: »
    Stop coming across as a condescending arsehole. He has an opinion.

ahh no need to be using language like that now in fairness.
    yes he has an opinion of course but i do to,
    and for someone not to believe/follow the rule of value just doesnt make sense to me anyways,
    if you dont look for value in a bet then you might as well play the lotto.
    just my thoughts as always,

never meant to cause this much of a fuss because of 1 post,it was obviously taken the wrong way.

Cavehill Red, well done on getting the 800% but none of it was logged on boards so you cant say much,100% of my world cup bets were logged,

after we compare or accounts maybe then we can share our secrets..:rolleyes:
    say no more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

coughlan08 wrote: »
    Cavehill Red, well done on getting the 800% but none of it was logged on boards so you cant say much,100% of my world cup bets were logged,

Isn't this what this thread is for?

Lads can we cut the crap and be civil to each other

If this keeps up we will have to lock the thread to prevent this sort of thing and we don't want to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Pj! wrote: »
    Nice win and I wouldn't post but for your theory of value.
    One bet doesn't matter a jot.
    It's why losers keep gambling. People really think that getting a winner means they are doing something right.

I didn't offer a theory on value. I merely questioned the faith-based belief in 'value' betting that many punters adhere to. Let's face it, no one can tell the future. What we endeavour to do is divination. With the exception of arbing or hedging to lock in profit, there is no such thing as a value bet, because anything can happen, and your bet can lose.
    With my perspective, there is no codding myself that 'at least it was good value to be on that' when a bet fails, which is the flip side of the loser who gets a winner you refer to.
    But some people try to make a profit and others bet for a pastime. Nothing wrong with either of them.
    It was a nice win and of course watching 7 results come your way makes an evens bet feel more satisfying.

I was churning free bets into cash on a Euro qualifier week. I coulda lumped them on Besiktas at 1.01 and got a teeny but real profit, or I coulda stuck them on possible outsiders, or I coulda done what I did do.
    As I said, I don't often place accumulators. Singles around the evens mark are where I make the bulk of my cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

This thread = Trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Nulty wrote: »
    This thread = Trouble

a lot of what cavehill red is saying makes good sense though;)

• Advertisement

dotsflan wrote: »
    a lot of what cavehill red is saying makes good sense though;)

This thread shouldn't exist. It in direct violation of everything gambling threads and forums have been created for. Its just a place to boast, show off, and judge. Worst thing to happen to the Gambling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

In your opinion.

Gambling Forum Charter
    5starpool wrote: »
    •The third rule of the Gambling forum is you do not afterpost. The fourth rule of the Gambling forum is you do not afterpost. The fifth rule of the gambling forum…. You get the idea. Afterposting is coming on here telling everybody about how much you won off a 12 fold accumulator. Unless you posted it on the forum beforehand, no-one cares. It’s very frowned upon around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Look, if the mods had a problem with it, it would have been shut already. Invariably gamblers lose money or at least don't make very much, but when they do they like to tell everybody about it and people like to hear about it too. I think this thread was a great idea, if you're not a fan you don't have to post here or read any of it!

Lads can we cut the crap and be civil to each other

If this keeps up we will have to lock the thread to prevent this sort of thing and we don't want to do that

OK I am quoting myself because it appears that people didn't see it the first time (that is what I am chosing to believe so I don't have to ban people)

I have deleted some posts to clear the thread up a bit

If people ignore this warning again they will be banned

• Advertisement

Gambling Forum Charter

Yes that is in the charter but it wasn't stopping people from doing it

By having this catch all thread it stops people from doing it in other threads (at least it seems to, I haven't noticed it much since this thread started)

We are just trying it out and it seems to be working

If after timing annoys you this much then it is very easy to avoid this thread

if anyone has a problem with the Moderation of the forum then please feel free to PM us or post in the forum feedback thread while it is open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I didn't offer a theory on value. I merely questioned the faith-based belief in 'value' betting that many punters adhere to. Let's face it, no one can tell the future. What we endeavour to do is divination. With the exception of arbing or hedging to lock in profit, there is no such thing as a value bet, because anything can happen, and your bet can lose.
    With my perspective, there is no codding myself that 'at least it was good value to be on that' when a bet fails, which is the flip side of the loser who gets a winner you refer to.

I was churning free bets into cash on a Euro qualifier week. I coulda lumped them on Besiktas at 1.01 and got a teeny but real profit, or I coulda stuck them on possible outsiders, or I coulda done what I did do.
    As I said, I don't often place accumulators. Singles around the evens mark are where I make the bulk of my cash.
    I was going to argue this but maybe it's not for this thread.
    One question do you bet for fun or for profit?

We are total opposites in our approach to gambling which is fair enough.
    My way works for me, I hope yours works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I was going to argue this but maybe it's not for this thread.
    One question do you bet for fun or for profit?

I agree this is a potentially useful debate, but not one for this thread. I was going to say a bit of both, but to be honest, I probably have more fun enjoying events I don't have money on. So I'm going to say profit.
    We are total opposites in our approach to gambling which is fair enough.
    My way works for me, I hope yours works for you.

As I suspect is the same with yourself, some you win and some you lose. I did have an excellent World Cup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

picrp.jpg

pic2iw.jpg

Just had the 2 soccer bets during the week. Already posted the other one. And as usual i had a flutter on the GAA in play. And the streak continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

^^

Nice one. You have a good return on the GAA in play.

Good to see a non BS post again in the thread :cool:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    ^^

Nice one. You have a good return on the GAA in play.

Good to see a non BS post again in the thread :cool:

Yeah the in play GAA bets are my favorite bet and the easiest to exploit. I don't have it worked out in a percentage but i reckon i'm in and around the 85% mark in terms of success on them. The only bet i've lost on it in a long time was the last Kilkenny hurling match.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

My bet for the Open.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

no way man..great selection.

what score was he on when ya did that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Brilliant bets lads,you've a nice thing going with the GAA bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

I like this thread. Once I figure out how to post screenshots I'll be contributing. Great bets on the GAA and the golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

I honestly cannot remember - he was -2 or -3 at the time, i just liked the look of him, did a quick check on his history and thought he was on the way up! Got lucky with the weather - but hey is'nt gambling all luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭glanman

conamara wrote: »
    I honestly cannot remember - he was -2 or -3 at the time, i just liked the look of him, did a quick check on his history and thought he was on the way up! Got lucky with the weather - but hey is'nt gambling all luck! :)

Well done Conamara, great bet and great winnings.

Someone from my local village had 10 e/w on him at 250/1, unreal win, how he picked him out no one knows!

conamara wrote: »

Great when you get that return. Especially considering it came from just a 20 euro risk. Congrats. Looked a difficult one to call in that weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

glanman wrote: »
    Well done Conamara, great bet and great winnings.

Someone from my local village had 10 e/w on him at 250/1, unreal win, how he picked him out no one knows!

if you look back last week at the picks for the Barclays you'll see i tipped him up @90/1 ,thought about him but he kinda went out of my head,stupid of me as he's always been a great driver and a great wedge player,i just didn't think he'd have the putting or the balls to win,.......how wrong i was

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

82706284.png

Biggest ever horse bet to-date, biggest winner in general to date.:D Got a tip last night, so threw it on at SP, which turned out to be 9/4, could have got him at 4/1 early today in Paddy Powers.:mad:

• Moderators Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Please for the love of God people, never EVER select SP for horse racing bets, even if it's the night before just get up at 10am, place it and go back to sleep!

Well done Gav. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i know nothing about horse racing so what the hell is sp ?

• Moderators Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Headshot wrote: »
    i know nothing about horse racing so what the hell is sp ?

Starting Price. It's a useless trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

x PyRo wrote: »
    Please for the love of God people, never EVER select SP for horse racing bets, even if it's the night before just get up at 10am, place it and go back to sleep!

Well done Gav. :)

Tell me about it man, but well I don't do mornings and wouldn't have trusted myself to get up.:D Between a few of us there was about €2,000 returned on that horse (the lad who gave me the tip his dad got 1,200 back).:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Biggest ever horse bet to-date, biggest winner in general to date.:D Got a tip last night, so threw it on at SP, which turned out to be 9/4, could have got him at 4/1 early today in Paddy Powers.:mad:

Nice. Made a few squid on it myself. Pretty much keeping me afloat for tomorrow after a few losses during the day (more or less punts in anticipation fo this tip).

Advertisement