Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for the wise.

• 18-07-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

I know this maybe more suited to motors but i think posters in infrastructure are more blessed with brains.;)

Here is my question presuming the Limerick tunnel is open. I will be travelling to a village on the N5 outside longford town from the western side of Mallow town In Cork.

I normally go Limerick-Nenagh-Borrisakane-Athlone-Ballymahon then Longford.

Will I be better of going Limerick-Gort-Loughrea-M6 to Athlone.. I could head to Roscommon town here and use a back road from Lanesbrough to complete the journey.

It takes 3hours using the current route. Whats your opinion folks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

might be just as quick to leave out Roscommon town and continue from Athlone to Longford via Ballymahon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I thought of that but that would involve driving the entire length of the by pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

you're driving nearly the length of the country, I doubt a few extra km on grade separated dual carriageway will break the camel's back...

Look how far west of the Shannon Roscommon town is vs the extra distance east of the town the N55 is....

Have you considered going via Mitchelstown to Portlaoise, then N80 to Tullamore bypass and then on to Longford?

You'ld be going east to get back west here but at 120ish kmh rather than around half that the N66, north of Barefield, Buttevant etc?

M8 and portlaoise is longer. I just thought there i can turn in knockhoghrey and take a short cut to lanesbrough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

SARASON wrote: »
    Will I be better of going Limerick-Gort-Loughrea-M6 to Athlone.

While the Limerick tunnel will make a big difference to this route, it will be enhanced further when the Crusheen bypass opens later on (Sept?).
    Yawns wrote: »
    might be just as quick to leave out Roscommon town and continue from Athlone to Longford via Ballymahon
    I thought of that but that would involve driving the entire length of the by pass.

Can't believe you're saying this. The few km's of motorway are definitely better than swinging west to Roscommon then back east again to Longford.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    While the Limerick tunnel will make a big difference to this route, it will be enhanced further when the Crusheen bypass opens later on (Sept?).

Can't believe you're saying this. The few km's of motorway are definitely better than swinging west to Roscommon then back east again to Longford.

I know what your saying I wont be going near longford town though. In saying that maybe I might be better of headin that way..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

M8 and portlaoise is longer.

In time or obviously in distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a question for the wise? you won't be expecting a Duhallow answer then?

In time or obviously in distance?

Its both. Worst thing is the mitchelstown- Mallow road.

corktina wrote: »
    a question for the wise? you won't be expecting a Duhallow answer then?

Lol..;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement