Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South-East Regional Authority brings us Broadband!

• 21-10-2002 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

It was announced today that the SouthEast Regional Authority is to spend €8million on a contract to bring a broadband infrastructure to the SE region in the next 15 months.

The "ring" will take in local authority buildings, industrial parks, hospitals, 3rd level establishments and so on. The chairman of the SERA said it was possible that domestic homes that are proximate
    to the ring may be connected latter (I mention that for what its worth!). The Authority noted it was the only one in the state to take this innitiative.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

At last, The South East is back in the picture of beingan Irish city, again. Anyone agree or disagree with me? - let me know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

To be a city in Ireland and most of Europe for that matter all you need is a Cathedral in the town...

Broadband access is just an added bonus....

But just remember this... 15 months for a Gov body isnt 15 months in regular time.. get the original figure multiply it by 2
    (or possibly 3) and add 50% of the original figure.. and you are somewhere close to actual completion time..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Does this mean we will be able to get broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

According to the irish times today the south east
    regional authority's plan for introducing broadband
    has been axed due to lack of funds after the
    budget.

merlante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Cough!":(

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by merlante
    According to the irish times today the south east regional authority's plan for introducing broadband has been axed due to lack of funds after the budget.

Forgive me for being cynical, but who really trusted those politicians in Dublin? The more I think about it, the more the SE should ignore Dublin. The SERA people worked in good faith but they were fscked over.

If we have to do something, we should do it for ourselves. What was being proposed would have seriously dented Eircom and Esat's prospects in this part of the country.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It's hard to be optimistic alright.

The southeast got a bit shafted in the spatial strategy as well: neither clonmel or carlow got hub status when smaller towns like killarney and tralee did (not to mention tullamore et. al.) Now fair enough, maybe carlow is too close to dublin to aid in counterbalancing dublin, but clonmel definitely should have been picked. It was probably one of the biggest towns in the country not to be included, with the exception of the likes of Drogheda.

I suppose these days we're almost grateful to have Waterford picked as a gateway!

merlante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This from the Munster Express today - (Waterford) Minister Martin Cullen stressed the project will proceed without delay. "I dont know what and where the negotiations were and I dont know which offcial in the dept they are talking about who contacted the SERA but he/she obviously acted on thier own volition. I am telling you the projects will commence next year."

Jnr Minister John Browne at the Dept of Communications reaffirmed the govs commitment to the broadband in the regions programme.

Edit, just found this - http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=8845621

Mike.

Advertisement