Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let Me In (2010)

• 01-07-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

So, it seems they've decided to go along the thriller route rather than the horror one...

Yeah, there's no way this is going to have the same impact as the first one. The tone of it is totally off imo.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not much to go on in the trailer, the editing is indeed all wrong for the story (music is awful) but I guess we can't tell the tone until the actual film is released. Trailer shows a lot of the scenes from both the book and the film in any case, so it might be relatively loyal.

The tone of Let the Right One in is drastically different to the book in any case, it is possible that they're remaining more loyal to that. There were a lot of subplots and more graphic moments cut from the film, and entire characters were excised. Plus, much more
    gender ambiguity
    . I think I remember the director of the remake mentioning they were going for the book's tone more - which means more ideas, but less focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

But that was where Let the Right One In got it right imo, so many layers to it and given the additional information from the book, it makes the movie even more ambiguous. I just have a feeling from that trailer that it's not going to have the same impact. Not even close. I know it's only two minutes but when you couple that with the director of Cloverfield, it's hardly appealing. Anyways, I'm sure we'll all remember Lina Leandersson's performance (what a find btw).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Renn wrote: »
    But that was where Let the Right One In got it right imo, so many layers to it and given the additional information from the book, it makes the movie even more ambiguous. I just have a feeling from that trailer that it's not going to have the same impact. Not even close. I know it's only two minutes but when you couple that with the director of Cloverfield, it's hardly appealing. Anyways, I'm sure we'll all remember Lina Leandersson's performance (what a find btw).

I agree, I much preferred the film to the book. It had much more focus than the book, and in cutting out all the extraneous stuff to zone in on the relationship between the two characters, was ultimately much more powerful.

I don't hold out much hope for this adaptation, but I'd be curious to see an adaptation of the other stuff in the book. However, I'd imagine it will fall flat, and lose all the subtlety that made the film such a joy. Still, as you say, "from the director of Cloverfield" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Ha yeah, I'm always skeptical when a movie starts listing the 'good' stuff a director has done. I read it as "this movie is a bit pants but look, he's done other stuff". Movie should be able to sell itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Certainly doesn't have the same feel as the original movie but it looks better than what I was expecting it'd be like which to be fair wasn't much. The two child leads in it have done well in other movies so theres still hope for this I feel. I'll be giving it a look anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I never read the book but thought Let The Right One In was class. Just noticed the lead girl in this is Hit Girl from Kickass, what a great little actress! Film actually looks okay, as far as American remakes go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It looks very, very similar to the original film. I expected it to be quite different. I just don't see the point of it. I would like to see a take closer to the book than the original film was. At least that way there would be a point to the remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The point of American remakes is that the vast majority of American audiences don't go to see films with subtitles, for whatever reason...

To be honest, I'll be happy if it doesn't completely ruin the original film for me.
    Can't remember the last time a remake was better than the original, or really any good for that matter.

It does look quite faithful to the original film though, which wouldn't be too terrible.

Have put close to zero thought into this but how about 3:10 to Yuma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I suppose an argument could be made for that, it certainly wasn't a bad film.

• Advertisement

These seems to be yet another in the recent long line of films whose trailer just about does enough to raise a shrug of the shoulders from me. It looks and sounds like a dozen other horror/thrillers from recent years and while it could be entertaining I think I'll be waiting for a home release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Chloe Moretz seems to be going places. This, Kick Ass and working with Scorcese as well. Trailer looks decent, I'm impressed, but that wouldn't be hard since I had a low expectancy in terms of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    The point of American remakes is that the vast majority of American audiences don't go to see films with subtitles, for whatever reason...

To be honest, I'll be happy if it doesn't completely ruin the original film for me.
    Can't remember the last time a remake was better than the original, or really any good for that matter.

It does look quite faithful to the original film though, which wouldn't be too terrible.

Somehow I think more Irish people will see this version than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I loved the first so I'm pretty skeptical of this re-make. It seems too soon for a re-make only 2 years after the first version was released.

Chloe Moretz, though, I'm sure will be fantastic. She's a really good up coming actress. I'm looking forward to seeing it but I don't have my hopes that high for anything near as good as the original.

It seems too soon for a re-make only 2 years after the first version was released.

[Rec] was remade pretty much straight away and was seemingly decent enough.

Renn wrote: »
    [Rec] was remade pretty much straight away and was seemingly decent enough.

quarantine played American cinemas before [Rec] did. It's actually not a bad film and from what I recall it expanded on a number of ideas only touched upon by the original.

Yeah I know, but I was just talking it terms of when the actual first one was made.

I heart Manuela Velasco too much for me to bother with the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

apart from a couple of cool added bits, rec was far better than quarantine

It's the Velasco factor!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I cringed when the voice over with the journalist and sirens came on...sigh. Some of it looks quite similar to the original, mirroring the scenes, but I'm not sure about the overly golden glow looking part of some (could just be my imagination). Think the original looked colder at night.
    Wiki:

Reeves was also asked to change the ages of the main characters, but he refused, saying that "would ruin the essence of the story and change everything completely...we need that childlike innocence." He also told his actors to not watch the original film beforehand so "we could make our own version but stay very true to the essence of the story." The filmmakers have noted that "they intend to forge a unique identity for Let Me In, placing it firmly in an American context", while at the same time paying respect to the original.

Hahahahahahaha!

Paying respect to the original would be easily achieved by leaving it the feck alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The trailer wasn't great at all but it looks to have the same feel as the original movie. I don't know if i'll see it, I got angry (lol) watching Quarantine. The child actors look to be perfect. I've no idea how they'd make this American-looking without ruining it. Hey, at least Sean-William Scott isn't in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Couldn't see any threads on this movie, what did people think?

We went to see it last weekend and were really impressed, very interesting and dark and totally engrossing because it was children involved and not adults. I've heard the original is better but haven't watched it yet, has anyone seen the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Seen the two, its not as bad as some people who've seen the original 1st make it out to be, I've seen the original 1st and so did my other house mate we went to see this just out of boredom turned out to be fine!

Still original is a far superior movie overall, but if you went to see this 1st you wouldn't be disjointed leaving the theater!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Saw the original one in the two for 12 euro in HMV so must get it for us to watch! Really enjoyed the re-make so have high hopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Saw this.
    It was awful, simply for the reason that it was a shot by shot remake of the original.

Utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Anybody seen this yet? Just after watching it and really liked it. Very interesting take on the whole vampire angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Haven't seen it, but I've heard it stands surprisingly well on its own, despite the quality of the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Thought it was quite good, except for when
    they actually showed her as her 'vampire' form.. really tacky CGI/makeup in comparison to the quality of the rest of the film imo. Was pretty disappointed with how they handled her action/vampire scenes.

A few things were changed around. They
    made Eli (forget the American names) more distinctly feminine, and to me, took a slightly different take on their relationship, but I suppose that's down to your own perspective.

It borrowed bits
    (okay, maybe more than just 'bits')
    and pieces and in a lot of ways was visually similar. I'm glad they didn't decide to include the
    cat scene
    . Think they intended it to be a bit scarier than it was, though.

• Liah - Have you read the book?
    In the book they went into a lot of detail about how Eli used to be a boy, until he was castrated, though this was only somewhat hinted at in the Let the Right One In. How did they handle it in Let Me In?
    I haven't seen it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is this out on DVD or other sources yet???...wanted to go see it in the cinema more to make comparrisons than anything else but never got around to it.

Advertisement