Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    I think wine bars lend themselves to driving their more than pubs as you could drink a little and drive home safely.

I think though there is a big gap in the market for Beer bars (that also have wine).

I never worked in a pub, but I'd expect the majority of turnover is due to beer sales rather than spirits.

Depends on the type of pub really. We make almost nothing from draught beer, most of our sales are spirits and mixers, followed by bottled beers/alco-pops. Certainly in other types of pubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

merlante wrote: »
    I've heard all of the bloated population estimates and projections for commuter towns. Luckily, the CSO has the real figures (http://cso.ie/census/documents/Amended%20census2006_%20Volume%201%20Pop%20Classified%20by%20Area.pdf):

Rank Name Size
    5. Waterford 49,213
    40. Tramore 9,634
    57. Gorey 7,193

So as we can see, Waterford is the 5th largest centre in the country, which has a satellite town that that is still bigger than Gorey. Gorey did grow very quickly in the boom, but I think it's fairly safe to say that it will not grow any further in the future. In fact most of the population is from Dublin and many will move back when they get the opportunity.

Waterford might not be large in international terms, but in Irish terms it is one of our primary cities and a regional capital, with the infrastructure that reflects that status. There are 72,846 within a 15 minute drive of Waterford city. Clearly, there is nothing like this population around Gorey.

So if Gorey can support a wine bar, we'll take 4, thanks.

Now having said that, many Waterford people have abandoned their city centre, so there is some work to be done in getting people back. And of course new businesses need to open up. But in any case, there are about twice as many people living in the inner city as there are in Gorey anyway.

Fair enough, but you'll probably accept that for single people, drinking at home, with friends or otherwise, is not really all that much fun. And some of us like to live the single life vicariously through others! ;)

ok well for some reason the gorey town council website has 30,000 as the figure.... anyway the main point i was making is that, going out in both regularly, there is a huge difference in the amount of people that go out in both.

Of course i understand that many singles will go out with that intention in mind ;)

But most of them choose the bigger disco pubs etc. after all i think thats the whole point of those places. its certainly not for going out and having a reasonable noise level and sociable time with friends. I just think that the whole late night bar scene will always take away from any smaller developments, after all alternative pubs dont even get a look in as it is sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just home from a 21st in Mason's and I have to say it was awful! The upstairs was reserved for the 21st and I've never felt heat like it in my life. We were all sweating like dogs from early on in the night. I said to the barman "what's the story with the air conditioning" and got the reply "we don't have any". He also informed me that if I thought tonight was bad taht I should be there on a Saturday night.

Has this always been the case upstairs in Mason's? It's not a venue I'd have any want to attend anyway but will avoid at all costs forever more if it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And they have no heating in the winter lol

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

I've never noticed anything wrong upstairs there before,
    last time was 2 weeks ago on a saturday and it was grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Adyx wrote: »
    Depends on the type of pub really. We make almost nothing from draught beer, most of our sales are spirits and mixers, followed by bottled beers/alco-pops. Certainly in other types of pubs though.

What I was thinking of (I've no wish to run my own business so I'll give away my idea for free :)) is a bar that would be fairly small in size, like an old traditional Irish pub. It would be small enough to be run by one person with a few staff. It would play no music unless some sort of trad session (maybe have a TV for big matches, but I'm not sure on that one) and be a place for people to chat and have a beer. You could feel safe bringing your girlfriend there, and it would have wine, soft drinks and tayto in addition to beer. Also maybe stock a range of fancy beer with high mark-ups in addition to the normal beer. Maybe during the day it could function like a café.

I know this doesn't sound like much of a money spinner, but the business model would be more in line with that of a café. As I said it would be a family type business, you wouldn't have the cost of a full licence, and as there would be no spirits everything would be more tame and civilised. By keeping things simple costs could be kept down.

I think it could work out if it targetted the over 25s. Whenever I meet my friends for drinks we rarely drink spirits until we are in some sort of late bar, so we wouldn't feel put out by the lack of spirits. I suppose the ladies are more spirits inclined, but its not like a business has to keep everyone happy to work. It would be a niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

What I was thinking of (I've no wish to run my own business so I'll give away my idea for free :)) is a bar that would be fairly small in size, like an old traditional Irish pub. It would be small enough to be run by one person with a few staff. It would play no music unless some sort of trad session (maybe have a TV for big matches, but I'm not sure on that one) and be a place for people to chat and have a beer. You could feel safe bringing your girlfriend there, and it would have wine, soft drinks and tayto in addition to beer. Also maybe stock a range of fancy beer with high mark-ups in addition to the normal beer. Maybe during the day it could function like a café.

I know this doesn't sound like much of a money spinner, but the business model would be more in line with that of a café. As I said it would be a family type business, you wouldn't have the cost of a full licence, and as there would be no spirits everything would be more tame and civilised. By keeping things simple costs could be kept down.

I think it could work out if it targetted the over 25s. Whenever I meet my friends for drinks we rarely drink spirits until we are in some sort of late bar, so we wouldn't feel put out by the lack of spirits. I suppose the ladies are more spirits inclined, but its not like a business has to keep everyone happy to work. It would be a niche.

Does this sound like Geoffs to anyone else.???

I should have said customers wouldn't need to wear waders when going to the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

it does a little bit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sounds like a day time Geoffs and evening time Downses to me.
    (Whoever controls the music volume in Geoffs id love to slap with a silly stick)

• Advertisement

I think I'd enjoy getting slapped with a silly stick.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

No!!!! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I have more then a few issues with Masons actually Nkay,

I haven't been upstairs there for years but I can understand cause heat is a killer anywhere.

ziedth wrote: »
    I have more then a few issues with Masons actually Nkay,

I haven't been upstairs there for years but I can understand cause heat is a killer anywhere.

Oh yeah that's just a fresh gripe. While standing outside to get some air I saw a good few people heading in there and let's just say they weren't my sort of people!

Sounds like a day time Geoffs and evening time Downses to me.
    (Whoever controls the music volume in Geoffs id love to slap with a silly stick)

Wll, for it to work I would expect it would need to be a lot smaller than Geoffs. Geoff's is really of super-pub size now, so would need a lot of staff.

I wonder how much spirits they sell. I think Geoff's is grand (apart from the 3rd World jacks), but I suppose I had the Gingerman in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Just thought I'd pass this on if you haven't seen it. Video of two Waterford lads talking after a night out.

Warning: NSFW if you have speakers as it contains strong language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFnmDYIEVk8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Went upstairs in Masons on Saturday for a look and it was just full of young lads and ladies who were off their heads and it was very hot. Left after one drink, done the usual thing and headed down to harveys which was jammed so we just left. Am thinking of trying something different and going on a pub crawl on all the pubs on the quay (cause i have never been in them) and then heading to the usual spots whos with me???

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

did u just describe philly grimes????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

angry_fox wrote: »
    Went upstairs in Masons on Saturday for a look and it was just full of young lads and ladies who were off their heads and it was very hot. Left after one drink, done the usual thing and headed down to harveys which was jammed so we just left. Am thinking of trying something different and going on a pub crawl on all the pubs on the quay (cause i have never been in them) and then heading to the usual spots whos with me???

I was in both those places on the same night. And felt the exact same as you.

However before submitting myself to that torture I was in Kitty Kiernans enjoying a pint for €3.70. Would definitely go there for a few in future if we're out in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sounds like you just described Phil Grimes down to a tee.

• Advertisement

alphapa wrote: »
    did u just describe philly grimes????????

Yeah, something like that.

Imagine Phil Grimes, but with no spirits and beer a bit cheaper because you don't have to pay for a full pub licence.

It should be easier to get planning permission too.

By the time the students come around the city will have undergone a number of changes.

Rubys and Muldoons...well God knows what will happen with those places....Masons will have new owners (there is a queue of people looking to go in there)...

Harveys and Escape will be put under fierce pressure if the Mcglauchlins do something impressive with Rubys/woodman/lounge/muldoons/peigs/oxygen

In a way I'm delighted for Harveys, I'm sick of overpaying so much for drinks and I'm still annoyed over the whole debacle of them trying to charge in.

But at the same time it's the only place in town that the the lads and ladies I go out with can half agree on.

And they sell skittles cocktails.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say by sproai next year the club scene in Waterford will be very very different.

Should get a mod to clean up that double post Ziedth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

I was in both those places on the same night. And felt the exact same as you.

However before submitting myself to that torture I was in Kitty Kiernans enjoying a pint for €3.70. Would definitely go there for a few in future if we're out in town.

Must give Kitty Kiernans a try, havint went there in years, very rough element out last saturday

Heard a while back the old cinema was going to be turned into a pub/club but doubt that it will happen. Hopefully Mclaughlin's will refurbish the places they bought and not just leave them the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

In a way I'm delighted for Harveys, I'm sick of overpaying so much for drinks and I'm still annoyed over the whole debacle of them trying to charge in.

But at the same time it's the only place in town that the the lads and ladies I go out with can half agree on.

And they sell skittles cocktails.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say by sproai next year the club scene in Waterford will be very very different.

Agree 100% with this. I used to always go to Harveys, but the price of drink was a huge thorn in the side. The charging debacle was the last straw, just stopped going there altogether. Think I've stepped inside it's doors twice in the last year....

So lets just say you are the new manager of oxygen,muldoons and peigs.

What would you do with the place?

For me I would join Peigs up with the front of muldoons and make a kind of (god forbid) geoffs look a like.

Keep the Area behind that for a live band at the weekends or 21st/hens and make upstaris a Harveys clone playing all that pop ****e.

I think they will have to undercut Harvey's to have any hope of stealing the big spending crowd like me.

Would I be right in assuming that it doesn't have a smoking area? they'll also have to address that.

So lets just say you are the new manager of oxygen,muldoons and peigs.

What would you do with the place?

There was something about the atmosphere in Muldoons I found very oppressive and agro inducing.

Maybe it was the low ceiling, but I never felt comfortable in there. I suppose I'd try do something with the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

The smoking area thing is key I think, I mean if you break it down whats special about Harveys? Nothing really, it's just a big open bar. What makes it different is the large smoking area, and I think any new pub hoping to do well needs to incorporate one into the layout of the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

There was something about the atmosphere in Muldoons I found very oppressive and agro inducing.

Maybe it was the low ceiling, but I never felt comfortable in there. I suppose I'd try do something with the ceiling.

Not comfortable with tight spaces... my diagnosis is "claustrophobia".
    Take a few deep breaths or do some yoga & try again.
    Send in the next patient please nurse!

Advertisement