Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biting Insects of Ireland

• 20-06-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Every summer I get a load of insect bites. I get murdered in foreign "hot" climates by mosquitoes. Been hospitalised once. But even here in Ireland, and I live in a city, I get savaged regularly whenever I go outside. I opened the window in my bedroom yesterday morning at about 8am and 1 hour later...........three great big bites on my arm .
    I don't think I can stop them, but I would like to know my enemy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Crane Fly or so called dallylonglegs. Doesn't bother most of us. Some people's blood vessels are closer to the surface of their skins and so get bitten more often. There are some biting mosquitoes in Ireland also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Crane flies don't bite

I'm the one in my household that gets bitten,
    Mosqutioes
    Horse Flies/Clegs
    Midges

I don't get too big a reaction. Mosquito bites itch for about 3 days and swells a little. I would be commited insane without my antihistamine cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Can't stand horse flies. I remember my first bite as a kid. Back of the knee. Horrible.

I get savaged by midges. There's a stream in the ditch by the house and they love it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Crane fly I know. I always thought they couldn't pierce human skin? Midges are in my opinion the guilty party but first thing in the morning and don't they go for the scalp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Don't think they're fussy tbh. I've had bites everywhere.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Crane flies don't bite

I'm the one in my household that gets bitten,
    Mosqutioes
    Horse Flies/Clegs
    Midges

I don't get too big a reaction. Mosquito bites itch for about 3 days and swells a little. I would be commited insane without my antihistamine cream :)

Thank God for anti-histamine :) Though one pint and it's nutralised and the itching comes back:(

Would you credit it. I've just been bitten again on the hand. Little feckers :mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

What are those little flies like daddylonglegs but smaller? And can they bite?
    Also had a buzzing insect in my room last night and have 6 bites on my neck chest and arm(just measured them at 23mm accross:(), I always get eaten alive in summer, horse flies are biggest culprit.
    I'm on my second tube of antihistamine cream so far this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

What a great thread. Don't forget ants, they seem very busy at the moment and I have to check my feet and shoes every time I walk on our grass. Two big ant bites on each arm from sunbathing last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

Have you tried Avon Skin-So-Soft Dry Oil Body Spray? I swear by it and have used it as a midge/insect repellant for years.

• Advertisement

Gormal wrote: »
    Have you tried Avon Skin-So-Soft Dry Oil Body Spray? I swear by it and have used it as a midge/insect repellant for years.

Nope, do you get it in a chemist? I bought some standard spray that said it was for Tropical and home. I now have NINE bites since Sunday and they are feckin huge and bloody itchy! Although I got a cream called anthisan and that seems to take the swelling down.

Now the news flash. I got one. It was 100% a mosquito and same sort of size I have seen in Finland. Big stupid and slow which makes me wonder how I never saw one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

while out and about i have noticed that there seems to be an abundance of Clegs (horsefly) this year-

P6200047.jpg
    Cleg (horsefly)

wgsten

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

wgsten wrote: »
    while out and about i have noticed that there seems to be an abundance of Clegs (horsefly) this year-
    Every year an abundance of these find me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ya i hate those horseflies too, they're so sneaky.....but also very dopey > easy to swat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smart Guy

My wife always gets badly bitten on holidays by mosquitos even with repelant on. Last year went to Bulgaria, same story, bit as soon we arrived. We went to the pharmacy who recommended she drink a 2 glasses of Russian vodka or Raki evening and whatever is in it would come out theough the skin as a repellant. Guess What ? It works. Not one bite for the rest of the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Smart gut, I like your solution!:D
    But don't think I could do it every night, can't see "I'm only drinking to keep the bugs away!" as being taken the right way:eek:;)
    May try it for the alfresco dinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Ticks carry lymes disease.
    Ants, Bees and Wasps sting but don't bite. If you were stung by these guys you'd immediately know where I find with midges and mosquitos it's only after they've come and gone to i notice a horrible bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

Nope, do you get it in a chemist? I bought some standard spray that said it was for Tropical and home. I now have NINE bites since Sunday and they are feckin huge and bloody itchy! Although I got a cream called anthisan and that seems to take the swelling down.

Now the news flash. I got one. It was 100% a mosquito and same sort of size I have seen in Finland. Big stupid and slow which makes me wonder how I never saw one before.

Nope, you have to get it from Avon or ebay. Currently on offer 2 for €6 [normally €7.50 each]at Avon, I am currently hunting down a rep in my area.

Oh and it has to be the orignal flavour :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I HATE MIDGES
    every time i leave my house i am eaten alive by the little b*****ds end up with red lumps all over
    end up looking like a nut job flapping my arms all over the place and cursing like a drunk :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ticks carry lymes disease.
    Ants, Bees and Wasps sting but don't bite. If you were stung by these guys you'd immediately know where I find with midges and mosquitos it's only after they've come and gone to i notice a horrible bump.

You are wrong about the ants. The bite you with their mandibles and then shove their arse in the bite and squirt in some formic acid from their backside. At least bee's and wasps have a dedicated tool for the job! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Just reading this makes me itchy. And here's one I squashed on my window.

A4E31B6302714EB787E65E0FA8E9B7ED.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Calibos wrote: »
    You are wrong about the ants. The bite you with their mandibles and then shove their arse in the bite and squirt in some formic acid from their backside. At least bee's and wasps have a dedicated tool for the job! :D

I'm not wrong. Ants do bite to get a grip, they have no venom in their mouths/mouth parts. All ants bees and wasps sting through the ovipositor which is an adaption of a egg laying feature. The venom does not come from their arse. Ants and bees and wasps have a equivalent tool for stinging.

Just reading this makes me itchy. And here's one I squashed on my window.

A4E31B6302714EB787E65E0FA8E9B7ED.jpg

One down, just 2,000,000,000,000,000,000 to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I was under the impression that any mozzies we had here in the past were blown in on a southeasterly breeze from the Continent in the summer, and died off in the winter? Is that correct Mothman? you who knows these things. I know there are various species but I refer to the laymans "mosquitoe" which is the large slow moving, buzzing and biting creature.
    Either way, it seems with global warming we are going to see a lot more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 supersportq

Crane Fly or so called dallylonglegs. Doesn't bother most of us. Some people's blood vessels are closer to the surface of their skins and so get bitten more often. There are some biting mosquitoes in Ireland also.
    Interesting, I cann't remember ever been bitten myself. Or maybe I just don't notice. Must be a tough guy !!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 supersportq

Calibos wrote: »
    That's it, I'm not reading any more of this thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Feeling decidedly unattractive for some reason. Often have to walk through (while wind milling my arms about) a haze of midges that would be over a stagnant pool of water and never get bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

can bees sting more than once? I got stung once yesterday, never checked to see if the stinger was still on my clothes, got back to car and a bee stuck on my shirt stung me and I couldn't get rid of it offf my clothes.
    Today, one side of my stomach is badly swollen and seems to have two puncture marks while my finger has one. AAAGHH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

no-one's mentioned fleas yet - thanks to my pets I'm getting bitten in the safety of my own home:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Charlotte Agreeable Tick

The Crane Fly/Daddy Long Legs/Tipulidae oleracea does not have any teeth. They never bite. I wish people would not spread myths about animals. Cuddlycavies, are you thinking of the Daddy Long Legs Spider perhaps?

Advertisement