Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wierd Insect

Options
  • 18-06-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All

I was bitten in the park yesterday by a strange insect. I didn't even notice until I accidentally brushed it off my arm, my hand came away covered in my blood. I knocked it away and got a good look at it. It was a big fly with a long dark body (similar to a wasp or a hornet but neither) I could see it was filled with blood (my blood). It had a long pincher type face like a mosquito. Very creepy looking!
    It managed to do a bit of damage, my arm kept bleeding and since yesterday has come up in a lump with the surrounding area is all red.
    Does anyone know what it might be? I was worried of after affects.

Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Horse Fly?
    http://www.gardensafari.net/pics/vliegen/overig/haematopota_pluvialis_hs4_2241.jpg

They can give a bad bite. Got one myself yesterday although I can't imagine that they'd be on you long enough after th epain is inflicted to draw much blood.

I've seen some odd wasp like insects about these days but don't think they are biters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cheekysiren

Hi E39MSport, thanks for quick reply :-)

Not sure if it's a horsefly because the body was much longer and it didn't have that type of head, it was like a mutated wasp. I will check images on horseflies, see if there are any variations which are similar.
    I wish I had my phone at the time to take a picture. I was just surprised at how much blood it drew from me, my hand was literally covered in blood.

Looking in 'Complete Irish Wildlife' I can see: -

ichneumon
    http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/forest1/FOLDER01/Ichneumon_fly_egg_laying.jpg
    yello ophion
    http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/16190/wm/pd640023.jpg
    sand digger wasp
    http://www.naturfoto-cz.de/photos/krasensky/sand-digger-wasp-1860.jpg
    giant wood wasp
    http://images.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/giant_wood_wasp_jon.jpg

Thats about all I can see other than horse fly that suit your description.

Sorry to hear you were so affected !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

are all the above insects native to Ireland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cheekysiren

Thanks again E39MSport, you've gone above and beyond :-) Terrifying to think some of those bugs are native....
    I had a look at the links and none fit exactly - I have never seen anything like this bug before. I have spent ages on google trying to pinpoint what it was with no luck. I'll keep my eyes open next time I'm in the park and if I see one I'll take a picture of the little beggar! It seems to find me appetizing so chances are I will see it again :-)
    Cheers
    S:D

• Advertisement

Wow !

I was hoping someone on here might roll up with some more suggestions. I''m intrigued.

@ Fryup: - yup, you can find them all here at various times of the year.

Actually, I saw a black and red one yesterday thats not in my book so I'm guessing that it's not an exhaustive resource...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

E39MSport wrote: »

One of those landed on my hat when i was out gardening one day, frightened the life out of me it was so big at first i taught it was a bird:eek:

I persume they give a nasty sting??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I remember tending bar at a garden party in a house on the slopes of Brayhead about 18 years ago and was shown one of these giant wood wasps dead on a window sill inside the house. Everyone thought it must have been an exotic insect that came in on a shipment of Bananas or something and found its way into their shopping basket. Can't believe its a native species!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

fryup wrote: »

I persume they give a nasty sting??

I think unlikely. The "sting" part is the ovipositer, the part that lays eggs. Its robust so she can get the eggs into the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I seen a documentary about something similar to this. My advice would be to see can you climb walls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Probably a cleg/horse fly. I was attacked by one a few days ago, thankfully I managed to avoid it. The ones I've seen don't move very quickly.

I've seen the giant ichneumon, wood wasp, and the yellow ophion, and I as far as I know, they don't target humans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of 'bloodsuckers', what are those tiny red insects which seem to be known to most kids as bloodsuckers? they seem to be associated with brick walls (possibly because they can be easily seen against the concrete?). they look like tiny blood red spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Think they are Spider Mites?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i thought that might be them, but i see them more on walls than on plants; they've managed to make their way up to our (mainly plant-free) fifth floor balcony where i work, and there's not much plant life there for them, just some shrubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Often mistakenly called Red Spider Mite, but they are Clover Mites

The red spider mites are smaller and usually in polytunnels and greenhouses. I struggle to see the individuals with naked eye

I have literally thousands of them on each window sill on a hot day. I have no idea where they come from or go to.
    My sills are a white concrete.

Advertisement