Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Large Amounts of roundup?

• 18-06-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Where to buy? Too expensive in the shops to buy In the quantity I need, (big garden project), must be available somewhere for the professionals.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    not sure but I've heard of Gallup (not sure of spelling). It's a Roundup twin but supposed to be much cheaper..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

Ive shopped around and found the cheapest in a Hardware chain - but for large vols its still expensive (I paid 59.99 for a 5 litre) which is about 20 cheaper than most other retailers. Let me know if you want to know where.

But I also saw a post yesterday all about gallup on askaboutmoney here
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=138861
    its almost the last post on the page by someone called VOR.
    Got me thinking I might try gallup in future.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

ROSAETE 36........ 26 EURO FOR 5 LTR IN CO-OP ETC
    ROUNDUP bioactive .....72 Euro
    same active ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ruffmut

Gallup is the same as roundup and a lot cheaper. I stopped using roundup due to its cost. 5Ltr of gallup should be around 26 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Make your own weedkiller, just as good in most cases.
    Under Irish and EU law it is illegal to use any preparation as a pesticide/fugicide/herbicide that is not approved for such use :rolleyes:
    i.e. the bigger companies want to sell their own stuff.

The information here is for reference only.

Many people struggle to kill the weeds in their lawns and gardens for the reason that they do not want to use a commercially made chemical herbicide.

The safety of using these commercially available weed killers is not entirely known.
    While the manufacturers and even government agencies say they are safe the long term affects of the continued use of these toxic chemicals and their affects on people and other living creatures is not entirely known.

For those of us who do not want children and pets exposed to these toxic chemicals trying to find a way to kill the weeds overgrowing our drives and gardens can be tough.
    There are many non-toxic ways to kill weeds right around their home.

There are many different recipes out there for a homemade weed killer most of them are based off of the following ratio:

• 1 litre of white vinegar.

• 60 grammes of table salt.

• 1 squirt of washing up liquid.

Mix everything together making sure the salt is completely dissolved. You can then pour this into a spray bottle or a weed sprayer.

You spray this solution directly on the weeds you want to get rid of preferably on a hot day in full sun for best results.

One thing to remember with this solution is to not get it on anything you don’t want to kill.

It is non-selective in what it kills meaning it will kill any plant life it comes in contact with and it will sterilize the soil for up to two years depending on how much you get on the soil.

The salt in the solution is what makes the soil uninhabitable for weed seedlings which are still to come.

If you wish to effectively poison your soil to new sowings and plantings for approx two years, then add the the salt element, if not omit it.

So with salt is best for patios, gravel drive etc, basically all areas designed to be free of growth, whereas without salt is better for beds, borders, lawns and veg areas, where you intend to plant again.

Also be aware that this solution cannot be sprayed wholesale over lawns to kill just weeds, as it is indiscriminate in its damage to both weed and grass. On a lawn it is better suited to spot treatment

If you are concerned about getting the vinegar solution on your desirable plants you can use a cloth to wipe the solution on the leafy parts of the weeds.

This will keep any of the solution from coming in contact with the plants you want to keep.
    If you use this method it is advisable to wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the acidic affects of the vinegar.

The nice thing about using a bio-degradable homemade weed killer is that you are not harming your family and pets which can happen with the commercially available weed killers on the market today.

• Advertisement

Thanks..
    Can it be diluted with water or must it be used neat ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

bbam wrote: »
    Thanks..
    Can it be diluted with water or must it be used neat ??

Gallup/Roundup must be diluted with water.

I actually found Gallup did a better job for me than the Roundup.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Gallup/Roundup must be diluted with water.

I actually found Gallup did a better job for me than the Roundup.

thanks but I was wondering did the homemade solution need to be diluted..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

I've only done it neat, but try 50/50 hot if you can on a test patch.
    Thing is if you are from a small town/village and their is a chipper/corner shop ask the owner - if they are a pal - to get malt vinegar for you wholesale

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ladybird99

Thanks for all replies!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Can anyone recommend a weed killer that will destroy the weeds but which young rose bushes and mature hedging would be resistant to? I have a 100 ft stretch on one side of the garden with every variety of weed imaginable. Dug them out a couple of times but its too much work to be doing every couple of weeks. they grow back twice as big and dense.

My main concerns are

1. not sterilising the soil altogether as I want to plant hedging along the stretch.
    2. not killing the rose bushes, although I'd accept their loss if needs be.
    3. boundary fence is wood fencing, neighbours have a couple of dogs and they sometimes route around at the base of the fence. I dont want to spray anything which would be harmful to the dogs.
    4. There's some healthy mature hedging at the back end which I dont want to damage either.

I'm a gardening noob so dont know the risks using particular weed killer products. Main concern would be the neighbours dogs. I need something which is safe enough if they were to sniff around the base of the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Barbarian, (Glyphosate Weedkiller same strength as Round-up (360))

The 20L drum I bought this year was €110

Try an Agristore.

I Bought This after seeing Round-up was now €36.00 /L

eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300440224498

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

clown bag wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a weed killer that will destroy the weeds but which young rose bushes and mature hedging would be resistant to? I have a 100 ft stretch on one side of the garden with every variety of weed imaginable. Dug them out a couple of times but its too much work to be doing every couple of weeks. they grow back twice as big and dense.

My main concerns are

1. not sterilising the soil altogether as I want to plant hedging along the stretch.
    2. not killing the rose bushes, although I'd accept their loss if needs be.
    3. boundary fence is wood fencing, neighbours have a couple of dogs and they sometimes route around at the base of the fence. I dont want to spray anything which would be harmful to the dogs.
    4. There's some healthy mature hedging at the back end which I dont want to damage either.

I'm a gardening noob so dont know the risks using particular weed killer products. Main concern would be the neighbours dogs. I need something which is safe enough if they were to sniff around the base of the fence.

SIMAZINE, If it's Still availabe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

20 litre of roundup 169 euro in the NCF store! Mad dear

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Chemicals are poison period.

Ask wikipedia re round up; banned in Canada where we hail from.

Weeding is great exercise and does not pollute the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Graces7 wrote: »
    Chemicals are poison period.

I must be made up of poison so.

Advertisement